11013RE: [Covenanted Reformation] Passive obedience v. Political Dissidence

  • J. Parnell McCarter
    Sep 3, 2004

      There were many covenanters who did not have the political philosophy of Richard Cameron (that Cameron had at the end of his life).   Most Covenanters joined the established Church of Scotland after the end of King James II's reign.

      We must be very careful in our interpretation of Rutherford too.  Martin, I think it can be shown that the "Cameronian" political philosophy differs from that espoused by Rutherford .

      I suggest though that we begin with Calvin's writings on the subject, who produced the first great systematic theology of the reformed faith- then work our way from there.  Martin, do you really believe the political philosophy of Richard Cameron (that Cameron had at the end of his life) is the same as the political philosophy that Calvin had throughout his life as a Protestant?

      - Parnell McCarter

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic