11009Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Passive obedience v. Political Dissidence

  • Peter
    Sep 3, 2004
      Rom 13:1-2 Let every soul be in subjection to the higher powers:
      for there is no power but of God; and the powers that be are
      ordained of God. Therefore he that resisteth the power, withstandeth
      the ordinance of God: and they that withstand shall receive to
      themselves judgment.

      Who/what qualifies as the "ordinance" of God? The texts seems to
      imply all in power without exception.

      "Tyranny being a work of Satan is not from God, because sin, either
      habitual or actual, is not from God: the power that is, must be from
      God; the magistrate, as magistrate, is good in nature of office, and
      the intrinsic end of his office, (Rom. xiii.4 For he is the minister
      of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be
      afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister
      of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.) for
      he is the minister of God for thy good, and, therefore a power
      ethical, politic, or moral, to oppress is not from God and is not a
      power but a licentious deviation of a power"- Rutherford

      But...Rom 13:1 For there is no power but of God: the powers that be
      are ordained of God... The power, or "licentious deviation of a
      power", reigning/tyranizing over the recipients of Paul's letter was
      Caesar. Why would Paul instruct the Romans how to behave under a
      power (Rutherford's strict definition) when Nero was a tyrant? Is he
      inciting them to rebelion? More likely, he's saying, Nero, however,
      wicked he seems, being providential given the reins of power, is the
      ordinance of God and he is good for keeping order. My thoughts.

      Alexander Shields couldn't even convince himself (joining the
      Revolutionary Church). Probably later he saw a deficiency in his own
      arguments you don't.