10949[Covenanted Reformation] Re: Historic Presbypics

  • Dan Fraas
    Aug 31, 2004
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Soles"
      <dsranch@y...> wrote:
      > Riley this is very good that you found the whole to be agreeable.
      >
      > And please understand that I'm not trying to catch you out or
      anything with
      > this next question. Would your session be in total agreement with
      the paper?

      Cathie,

      Of course I can't say for sure. I know they would agree with a great
      deal of it. Our pastor has briefly used Cameron's story (and those
      of other covenanters) to illustrate some of the truths of Scripture
      in his sermons. He's also preached on the biblical model of
      presbyterial church government as a divine ordinance. So I believe
      our session would find a great deal of agreement with this article.
      I've never discussed with them the proper grounds and justification
      for resisting the civil power by force, but I know at least our
      pastor thinks it can be justified in some cases. In discussing the
      original Westminster Confession, chap 23, section 3 it seems from
      talking to each of our elders that they would agree with me in
      preferring the original to the revised portion from the American
      presbytery.

      However I will say that as far as politics go it's not something that
      our session ever brings up in a teaching setting, except to exhort us
      not to put our hope in governments on earth or human politicians, but
      to seek a better country and to be prepared to endure persecution if
      and when it comes. I'd say there's a general feeling that our
      original US constitution has flaws but its a moot point to debate
      about the civil laws when we can't even get the politicians to follow
      the laws that are written.

      Blessings in Christ,

      Riley

      > Thanks for responding so quickly.