10847Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Covenanter position on The Civil Magistrate

  • Edgar A. Ibarra Jr.
    Aug 12, 2004
      Here is the statment put out by the faithful Presbyterians who would
      not submit to compromised brethren nor to the tyrannous persecution
      direct by King Charles II, whose tyranny also usurped Parliment.

      The
      Declaration & Testimony
      of the
      True Presbyterian, Anti-prelatic, Anti-erastian, persecuted party in
      Scotland.
      Published at
      Sanquhar, June 22, 1680.

      It is not amongst the smallest of the Lord's mercies to this poor
      land, that there have been always some who have given their
      testimony against every cause of defection that many are guilty of;
      which is a token for good, that He doth not, as yet, intend to cast
      us off altogether, but that He will leave a remnant in whom He will
      be glorious, if they, through His grace, keep themselves clean
      still, and walk in His way and method as it has been walked in, and
      owned by Him in our predecessors of truly worthy memory; in their
      carrying on of our noble work of reformation, in the several steps
      thereof, from Popery, Prelacy, and likewise Erastian supremacy - so
      much usurped by him who, it is true, so far as we know, is descended
      from the race of our kings; yet he hath so far debased from what he
      ought to have been, by his perjury and usurpation in Church matters,
      and tyranny in matters civil, as is known by the whole land, that we
      have just reason to account it one of the Lord's great controversies
      against us, that we have not disowned him, and the men of his
      practices, whether inferior magistrates or any other, as enemies to
      our Lord and His Crown, and the true Protestant and Presbyterian
      interest in this land - our Lord's espoused bride and Church.
      Therefore, although we be for government and governors, such as the
      Word of God and our covenant allows; ***yet we, for ourselves, and
      all that will adhere to us as the representative of the true
      Presbyterian Kirk and covenanted nation of Scotland, considering the
      great hazard of lying under such a sin any longer, do by these
      presents, disown Charles Stuart, that has been reigning, or rather
      tyrannising, as we may say, on the throne of Britain these years
      bygone, as having any right, title to, or interest in, the said
      Crown of Scotland for government, as forfeited, several years since,
      by his perjury and breach of covenant both to God and His Kirk, and
      usurpation of His Crown and royal prerogatives therein, and many
      other breaches in matters ecclesiastic, and by tyranny and breach of
      the very leges regnandi in matters civil.*** For which reason we
      declare, that several years since he should have been denuded of
      being kind, ruler, or magistrate, or of having any power to act or
      to be obeyed as such. As also we, being under the standard of our
      Lord Jesus Christ, Captain of Salvation, do declare a war with such
      a tyrant and usurper, and all the men of his practices, as enemies
      to our Lord Jesus Christ, and His cause and covenants; and against
      all such as have strengthened him, sided with, or anywise
      acknowledged him in his tyranny, civil or ecclesiastic; yea, against
      all such as shall strengthen, side with, or anywise acknowledge any
      other in like usurpation and tyranny - far more against such as
      would betray or deliver up our free reformed mother Kirk unto the
      bondage of Antichrist the Pope of Rome. And, by this, we homologate
      that testimony given at Rutherglen, the 29th of May, 1679, and all
      the faithful testimonies of those who have gone before, as also of
      those who have suffered of late: and we do disclaim that Declaration
      published at Hamilton, June, 1679, chiefly because it takes in the
      king's interest, which we are several years since loosed from,
      because of the aforesaid reasons, and other which may, after this,
      if the Lord will, be published. As also we disown and by this resent
      the reception of the Duke of York, that professed Papist, as
      repugnant to our principles and vows to the Most High God, and as
      that which is the great, though not alone, just reproach of our Kirk
      and nation. We also, by this, protest against his succeeding to the
      Crown, and whatever has been done, or any are essaying to do in this
      land, given to the Lord, in prejudice to our work of reformation.
      And to conclude, we hope, after this, none will blame us for, or
      offend at, our rewarding those that are against us as they have done
      to us, as the Lord gives opportunity. This is not to exclude any
      that have declined, if they be willing to give satisfaction
      according to the degree of their offence.

      Emphasis mine.

      Scripture proofs forthcoming.

      Humbly,

      Edgar