10679Re: [Covenanted Reformation] The Civil Magistrate (was re: Question Regarding Political Participation)

  • Dan Fraas
    Aug 2, 2004
      > But lest I be misunderstood, I want to state that I believe it is
      the duty
      > of the body politic (Parliament in the instance of England) in a
      covenanted
      > nation to bring a religiously unfaithful king to justice.

      Isn't that the duty of each and every person in the body politic
      according to his or her station? Don't we all have an obligation to
      uphold the law?

      But what I deny
      > is that a minister (whether that minister be Cameron or the Pope),
      or any
      > other individual citizen, may pronounce a king illegitimate.

      The beauty of Presbyterianism and rebublicanism is that we have
      objective standards. Any man armed with the Scriptures and the
      constitution may declare unlawful usurpations in breach of the same
      to be unlawful.

      A minister may
      > urge the Parliament to do so, but he may not pronounce it himself.
      The
      > church may not take the role of the Parliament; as the Parliament
      may not
      > take the role of the church. And we must distinguish the
      individual from
      > the body politic.

      So now ministers may not even declare that a usurper who takes power
      in violation of standing law is illegitimate? Does that hold for
      such usurpers as Absalom and Cromwell too? Did the prophets and
      ministers of God have to keep silent on their take-overs?

      Blessings in Christ,

      Riley
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic