Re: [covdg] Guild Website

    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 10, 2007
      I do think not showing the Education chairman with the other officers does indicate education is low on the list of priorities for the guild!!   and no mention of those elected to the (and presumably other) committee (s)  !!

      Sent: Monday, July 09, 2007 6:44 PM
      Subject: [covdg] Guild Website

      Andrew Russell-Laing has completely revamped the Guild website.  It is now much more professional looking.  My thanks go to him for all his hard work.

      Can I ask that you test it and report directly to me any links that are not working.

      Also, it now takes up less space on my Demon account, (or will do when I delete out all the garbage that FrontPage put automatically for the previous version!).  Therefore there is room for the odd extra page. Any suggestions as to content of this/these?

      Thanks again, Andrew.

      Mike Chester

      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 10, 2007
        Well I think it looks very good so well done. I think the font for the tower page is horrible but that's a personal preference.

        I will have to think about what else would go on there now!    Minutes of Meetings and agendas are good and save time.   I will think of other things!!

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 10, 2007
          I must apologise to the Group!!!    I was clicking reply without checking.

          Please accept a grovelling apology for so many messages!!

          Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 8:05 AM
          Subject: Re: [covdg] Guild Website

          My understanding is that there is not a practice at Honington.

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 10, 2007
            All very good points Graham, which I'm sure the relevant people will answer
            in due course.

            However, for the convenience of those of us searching your messages so as to
            make a reply to one, could you consolidate your replies into one meassage in
            future, rather than five separate messages with the same subject line?

            And for the record, my understanding is that Meriden (note one 'd') are "not
            to be rung" rather than "unringable."

            Regards,
            Graham Hayward
            Coventry District Secretary/Guild Ringing Master

            Watch all 9 Live Earth concerts live on MSN. http://liveearth.uk.msn.com
          • Andrew Russell-Laing
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 10, 2007
              Thankyou for your feedback Graham.  I sure Mike will correct the errors you have highlighted. They were all present in the old pages of the site  :-) .  Reference your other comments :-

              .....I think the font for the tower page is horrible but that's a personal preference.

              For ease of maintenance, I made the Towers Page "Preformatted text" using a monospace font (Courier).
              I could have used a different font, but some web browsers dont react too well to non-monospace fonts for preformatted text.

              .....I do think not showing the Education chairman with the other officers does indicate education is low on the list of priorities for the guild!!   and no mention of those elected to the (and presumably other) committee (s)  !!

              The table of Guild Officers, are taken directly from the Guild Annual Report Pages 1 and 2. These also do not include the committee members. There is a section in the About The Guild Page for each Committee, and Mike is going to discuss the content of these sections with the appropriate people. A possibility is to identify each committe with its own link on the home page - left panel - giving them more prominence.

              Keep the comments coming in, everyone, the more feedback we get, the more we can improve the website. The initial objective, now achieved, was to simplify the navigation of the site, and remove some of the horrendous html code that Microsoft Frontpage insists on generating.

              Andrew Russell-Laing

            • Mike Chester
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 10, 2007
                --- In covdg@yahoogroups.com, "Graham Nabb" <graham@...> wrote:

                > There is a change of Contact at Leamington RC but I am not sure who
                it is!!

                > I will find out from Sam!

                It is Simon Adams/Andrew Lansberry - I am chasing up addresses.

                Please make comments about things that are factually incorrect directly
                to me unless you need confirmation as you are not 100% sure.

                Mike Chester
              • Mike Chester
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 10, 2007
                  --- In covdg@yahoogroups.com, "Graham Nabb" <graham@...> wrote:

                  > Events Page - why not add or Campanophile after mention of the
                  ringing world and put a link there - it might encourage usage!

                  I will add mention of Campanophile. It is, of course, linked from the
                  homepage, unlike The Ringing World, which I might add in the hope that
                  a revamped website actually does appear at some point as promised. The
                  current site is awful!

                  Mike
                • Mike Chester
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 10, 2007
                    --- In covdg@yahoogroups.com, "Graham Nabb" <graham@...> wrote:

                    > I do think not showing the Education chairman with the other officers
                    does indicate education is low on the list of priorities for the
                    guild!! and no mention of those elected to the (and presumably other)
                    committee (s) !!

                    This is because the Chairmen of Committees are not "Guild Officers" and
                    Chris Mew is the Education Committee! Please would list members
                    consider joining him. I will indicate that Committee Membership is to
                    be found in the Annual Report.

                    Education is one extra page that Andrew and I have considered adding to
                    the website.

                    Mike
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 10, 2007
                      yes that's what I had in mind really a whole page for education.

                      Perhaps including an area for achievements??

                      Also perhaps a ling to the Young ringers Forum that junior Dew organises (her name - like so many- escapes me just now - its old age!!)  perhaps a page for her efforts if there was enough activity??

                      Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 9:59 AM
                      Subject: [covdg] Re: Guild Website

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 10, 2007
                        --- In covdg@yahoogroups.com, "Graham Nabb" <graham@...> wrote:

                        > yes that's what I had in mind really a whole page for education.
                        >
                        > Perhaps including an area for achievements??

                        Why not? I'll call it "The Newsletter"!

                        > Also perhaps a ling to the Young ringers Forum that junior Dew
                        organises (her name - like so many- escapes me just now - its old
                        age!!) perhaps a page for her efforts if there was enough activity??

                        Her name is Ellen, she has has/had wrist problems and hardly rings, if
                        at all. Her Mini Ringerz (sic) website has not been updated for over 2
                        years and therefore the link to it was removed when the site was
                        upgraded - my decision!

                        Mike
                      • Mike
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 14, 2010
                          The Guild website has now been largely finished in its new format.

                          Each tower has its own page. Please check yours for errors and omissions - it is your page; do you want more put on it? You could make it your own ringers mini-website if you like - just send the documents to me in electronic format.

                          The Ringing Centre website is now part of the Guild website.

                          There are lots of images - room for more, but get in quickly as Graham is well ahead in the stakes on this one! ;-)

                          There are many more documents to download and share about Education, etc.

                          There is an FAQ section - more possible questions and answers would be appreciated.

                          There is a much more comprehensive events calendar - I can add in local events if you send me the details.

                          Anything else that you would like? Just ask and I will see what I can do.

                          Mike Chester