GREATER WASHINGTON SHORTHAND REPORTERS SPRING 2003 CONFERENCE

  • maria_m_ellicott
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 11, 2003
      GREATER WASHINGTON SHORTHAND REPORTERS SPRING CONFERENCE

      Saturday, February 15, 2003
      Holiday Inn Rosslyn Westpark Hotel
      1900 Fort Myer Drive
      Arlington, VA
      TO REGISTER, GO TO http://www.gwsra.com

      This year's theme: "Court Reporters – Helping Each Other"

      CONFERENCE SCHEDULE:

      8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. Registration and Welcome

      9:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
      "Shorthand to a Super Memory" by Paul Mellor of Success Links

      Fast paced and filled with a lot of interaction, the session shows
      how people can recall information they never thought possible. Best
      of all, they are effective techniques to put to immediate use. A
      topic so important, yet often overlooked, the memory seminar proves
      that we don't have a bad memory, only an untrained one, and that the
      answers are all in our head. (.15 CEUs)

      10:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
      "Hot Topics in Ethics" by Dennis Dinkel, Official Reporter and
      Immediate Past President of United States Court Reporters
      Association (USCRA) and Shari Rendall, NCRA Staff Liaison to the
      Committee on Professional Ethics (COPE)

      Have you ever been in a professional dilemma and felt there was no
      answer? For example, how should a rough draft transcript be
      provided to your client? Are attorneys entitled to your backup
      tape? Get answers to these and other challenging questions in a
      relaxed, open forum setting. (.15 CEUs)

      12:30 p.m. to 1:45 p.m.
      Italian Lunch Buffet and Death by Chocolate Desserts/GWSRA Business
      Meeting

      2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
      "Software Breakout Groups" by Representatives of Advantage Software,
      ProCAT and Stenograph

      Be prepared to hear up-to-date information regarding your software
      application's most recent enhancement features. Here's our
      opportunity to ask questions, make suggestions and perhaps organize
      a local group class. (.10 CEUs)

      3:15 p.m. to 4:45 p.m.
      "Sports Captioning – A New Ballgame" by Steve Clark, Real-time
      Supervisor, National Captioning Institute

      Join Steve Clark, real-time captioner, supervisor and sports
      trainer. Come learn what it takes to be a topnotch sports
      captioner. You'll hear about training, the importance of dictionary
      entries and good briefs/bad briefs. This seminar will conclude with
      a video presentation of sports captions and a Q & A session. (.15
      CEUs)

      5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
      "Swap til you Drop - Steno Swap"

      How many different ways have you found yourself writing a phrase or
      unfamiliar, multi-syllable word in a proceeding? Nail it down now!
      This interactive seminar will prove to be engaging and rewarding.
      (.10 CEUs)
    • elli_dorough <edorough@netzero.net>
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 12, 2003
        Any chance scopists would be invited to attend?
      • maria_m_ellicott
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 13, 2003
          certainly wouldn't hurt to try. I'm pretty sure scopists are
          welcome. Do you live in the DC area?

          --- In courtreporterandscopist@yahoogroups.com, "elli_dorough
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 13, 2003
            --- In courtreporterandscopist@yahoogroups.com, maria_m_ellicott
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > certainly wouldn't hurt to try. I'm pretty sure scopists are
            > welcome. Do you live in the DC area?
            >
            > --- In courtreporterandscopist@yahoogroups.com, "elli_dorough
            > <edorough@n...>" <edorough@n...> wrote:
            > > Any chance scopists would be invited to attend?

            I live about 2 hours from DC, in Pennsylvania. I know that's greater
            GREATER Washington area, but I'd still like to attend. :0)

            Elli