messages

  • Cathy Crowder
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2 11:11 AM
      This is just notice that I would like to send messages to other people in this group. Thank You, Cathy Hembree

    • lysa_white
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3 8:29 AM
        Hi Cathy. Are you a reporter or scopist? I just started scoping
        myself. Where ya from? I'm in Fla. I haven't seen much activity on
        this board at all; I'm kind of disappointed. Oh well. Hope to hear
        from ya soon.

        Lysa
        --- In courtreporterandscopist@y..., Cathy Crowder
        <cathyhembree@y...> wrote:
        > This is just notice that I would like to send messages to other
        people in this group. Thank You, Cathy Hembree

      • theaskingtree
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3 8:37 AM
          Lysa,

          How did you get into scoping? I've wondered how people get started!

          --- In courtreporterandscopist@y..., "lysa_white"
          <FirstLady1195@a...> wrote:
          > Hi Cathy. Are you a reporter or scopist? I just started scoping
          > myself. Where ya from? I'm in Fla. I haven't seen much activity on
          > this board at all; I'm kind of disappointed. Oh well. Hope to hear
          > from ya soon.
          >
          > Lysa
        • Cathy Crowder
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3 10:44 AM
            Hi Lysa. I am actually a student in Kansas City, Missouri. I am kind of stuck in my current speed of 180 words per minute. I am also taking an NCRA prep class that is very challenging. I am hoping for some positive feedback from others on this message board. Being a student at the college that I attend has been very grueling for all of us. There is nothing consistent in anything the directors do. So we just try to keep our heads up and know that one day we will be working reporters. You said that you just started scoping-do you like it? And have you ever been a reporter? I am sure you are busy, but if you get a chance I would like to know what your job is like. Thank you for your response. Cathy
            lysa_white <FirstLady1195@...> wrote: Hi Cathy. Are you a reporter or scopist? I just started scoping

            <cathyhembree@y...> wrote:
            > This is just notice that I would like to send messages to other
            people in this group. Thank You, Cathy Hembree

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • brenda_schmelz
            Message 5 of 7 , May 4 10:37 PM
              Hey, Cathy!

              I'm a student in St. Louis, Missouri. Just finished my 180s after
              months of being stuck there. Hang in there!

              Brenda

              <cathyhembree@y...> wrote:

              > Hi Lysa. I am actually a student in Kansas City, Missouri. I am
              kind of stuck in my current speed of 180 words per minute. I am
              also taking an NCRA prep class that is very challenging. I am
              hoping for some positive feedback from others on this message
              board. Being a student at the college that I attend has been very
              grueling for all of us. There is nothing consistent in anything the
              directors do. So we just try to keep our heads up and know that one
              day we will be working reporters. You said that you just started
              scoping-do you like it? And have you ever been a reporter? I am
              sure you are busy, but if you get a chance I would like to know what
              your job is like. Thank you for your response. Cathy
              > lysa_white <FirstLady1195@a...> wrote: Hi Cathy. Are you a
              reporter or scopist? I just started scoping
              > myself. Where ya from? I'm in Fla. I haven't seen much activity on
              > this board at all; I'm kind of disappointed. Oh well. Hope to
              hear
              > from ya soon.
              >
              > Lysa
              > --- In courtreporterandscopist@y..., Cathy Crowder
              > <cathyhembree@y...> wrote:
              > > This is just notice that I would like to send messages to other
              > people in this group. Thank You, Cathy Hembree

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Service.

            • lysa_white
              Message 6 of 7 , May 5 9:07 PM
                Hey there. Have you thought about contacting court reporters in your
                area and asking if they'd be willing to train you as their scopist? I
                got into scoping quite accidently. A former co-worker mentioned she
                was tired because she had been scoping the night before. I was like,
                You were doing what?? haa I had no idea there was such a job. I got
                online and just started looking up info on the subject, then I met a
                lady online who is a court reporter in my town. She was looking for a
                scopist and was willing to train me, so I invested the money in the
                software and got started about a week ago. I have to say, it's been
                slow going because I don't have any notereading skills, but she's
                teaching me little by little and I rely a lot on the audio cassettes
                of proceedings. So far, I've enjoyed it. TO me, filling in the
                mystery words is like trying to solve a puzzle. I'm not going to lie,
                it's a bit tedious and you have to like working on the computer
                because you'll be connected to it for long stretches. But the time
                really flies and it's neat to see the document get cleaned up.
                Lysa
                --- In courtreporterandscopist@y..., theaskingtree <no_reply@y...>
                wrote:
                > Lysa,
                >
                > How did you get into scoping? I've wondered how people get started!
                >

                > --- In courtreporterandscopist@y..., "lysa_white"
                > <FirstLady1195@a...> wrote:
                > > Hi Cathy. Are you a reporter or scopist? I just started scoping
                > > myself. Where ya from? I'm in Fla. I haven't seen much activity
                on
                > > this board at all; I'm kind of disappointed. Oh well. Hope to
                hear
                > > from ya soon.
                > >
                > > Lysa
              • lysa_white
                Message 7 of 7 , May 5 9:15 PM
                  Cathy: You sound very dedicated and enthused about the program. I
                  actually was going to take a correspondence course to get into court
                  reporting, but when I found out about scoping, I thought I'd try that
                  and see how I liked it. So far, it's been great. The only thing I
                  regret is not having taken a scoping course before I started. It
                  would be a tremendous advantage if I could read steno notes; I'd be
                  able to go so much faster. And sometimes, it's frustrating that I
                  can't do more pages per hour. But I couldn't turn down the
                  opportunity to work with this wonderful lady and I know it's a matter
                  of time before I'm churning out 20 pages an hour like the pros!
                  Since I'm just starting out, I only have one C.R. I know some gals
                  that have a few, but I don't want to get in over my head. And
                  something else: you really have to like being at home. Sometimes, I
                  get a sad about not being around other grown ups. lol That's what's
                  good about these groups; you don't feel so "disconnected" from the
                  rest of the world! But if you have kids and want to work from home,
                  or heck you just want to work from home, this is the perfect job.

                  Good luck with your studies.