Re: [country_fans2003] The chicks..

  • DAYNA
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2003
      OMG was that comment that Natalie made about country music for real or was this another chick "parody"? Man it seems as though that grave they are digging keeps getting deeper and deeper if this is true. Dayna
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2003
        Of course my email was a joke. I think this information was put out on a
        website that is know for putting up fake news stuff. I'm pretty sure it's
        all a hoax. If not then I mean...well...it is a hoax that's all there is to
        it. If the chicks actually said that then they wouldn't be where they are
        now and woulnd't have even created "Home." It's common sense people.

        Daniel (aka Blam-o)
        "I guess you were right, the bluebonnets are worth the drive..."

      • DAYNA

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
            The hoax I am referring to is the "we hate country msuic" thing. The
            supposed news story I posted was all fake. I made it all up. The other
            one, I'm not sure where it came from but yeah, I doubt the chicks hate
            country music.

            Daniel (aka Blam-o)
            "I guess you were right, the bluebonnets are worth the drive..."

          • Rachel
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3, 2003
              I just got a e-mail from the yahoo group for the Dixie Chicks. It
              said that some fans have threaten the chicks, and have done things to
              their homes. How sad is this. Making the chicks afaird of coming how.
              Have the fans gone to far?
              I think they have, it's time to get over what the chicks said, and
              get them back on radio. There is more worst things in this world to
              worry about and to be boycutting then the chicks.
              Rachel
            • Blam-o .
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2003
                The chicks are stupid but playing it safe--because they have to. I
                understand they are beefing up their security but they have bodygaurds
                during tours anyway so it's not any big thing for them to bring security
                everywhere. Just more of a precaution than anything. I think this is also
                a partial ploy to get sympathy from people because they "dont' deserve all
                that anti chicks sentiment" going around. True threats are not good and
                vandalism to their property is bad but destroying CDs and tickets, radio
                stations boycotting them, I mena come on. I don't like people burning
                American flags at protests but they have just as much right to do so as
                anyone who loves the chicks no matter what or is NOT burning flags etc.
                Sure there are always some crazies but not everyone who disagrees with
                Natalie is some kind of crazy in waiting wanting to do physical harm to her
                or the other chicks.

              • Carol616@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 4, 2003
                  I totally agree with you o the Chicks. What Natalie said was wrong and
                  I would bet if she could take it back she would. We live in a country
                  where we have been given the freedom of speech and she just exercised
                  it. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with what she did but I will
                  defend her to the end the right to her freedom of speech. It is ime to
                  get over it and let the Chicks back on the radio . They have been to
                  great over the years to just get rid of them because of what happened. I
                  must admit that I at ties have had second thoughts about the war. But
                  just because I am not a big star like the Chicks nobody cares what I
                  say. Just get over it and lets get back to enjoying the music.
                • Rachel
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 4, 2003
                    This was posted on the Dixie Chicks Yahoo group, I thought it was
                    insterting and I thought I would share it with you all.
                    Rachel

                    Hi,

                    As a British fan who WAS at the London Gig on March 10th I am very
                    shocked and deeply saddened at the level of controversy that
                    Natalie's comments have caused in the USA.

                    Natalie did not spend the entire evening making a big anti-war speech
                    and her comments were made in the pre-amble to "Travelin' Soldier"
                    and she said "we have heard that the US government is planning to
                    play it to the troops, but I do not really understand why, as it is a
                    song about a soldier that does not return from war", so her comments
                    were kind of relevant at the time. Importantly she also said "the
                    troops and their families have my full support if and when they have
                    to go to war".

                    As some of you will probably be aware the Chicks had been in the UK
                    for several days prior to the 10th and had picked up on the fact that
                    many British people were very concerned that our Prime Minister, Tony
                    Blair and George W. Bush were rushing into war without giving the
                    weapons inspectors enough time to carry out their task and without UN
                    support. I therefore solemnly believe that her comments were made and
                    directed exclusively at those present at the gig, and it was her way
                    of saying to the British that the British were not the only people
                    that were concerned about the apparent rush to war. Although perhaps
                    she could have chosen her words more carefully. But as she has
                    said "it was not planned or rehearsed" and I believe she used the
                    words she did out of frustration and to make people understand how
                    strongly she felt about this issue, and a loud, and apparently
                    unanimous cheer went up. Her comments where not seen as a big deal at
                    the time. This was indeed one of those occasions were you REALLY had
                    to be there to fully understand the context in which it was said.
                    Another point worth noting is that although the gig was sold out it
                    was held in a small intimate London venue that holds a maximum of
                    2000 people.

                    I feel that this issue has been blown out of all proportion in the
                    USA and that the fans should be proud and honored that the worlds
                    most successful country music band and the worlds most successful all
                    female band is from the USA. If the Americans are not prepared to
                    continue to give their full support to Natalie and the Chicks then
                    the British certainly would be.

                    This was only the second show that they have ever done in the UK and
                    first time that I have seen them. Having followed them since 1998 I
                    have read many many stories and reviews etc. about how good they
                    really are and I was really excited about seeing them live. Perhaps
                    in some ways too excited, because if they had not been as good as I
                    expected then I would have been VERY disappointed. I have seen many
                    bands and artists live, like "The Rolling Stones", "Meat
                    Loaf", "Alanis Morrissette", "Bob Dylan", "Rod Stewart" and many many
                    more, and whilst they are all very good, from what I had read about
                    the chicks I was expecting them to be 10 times better than anything I
                    had seen before. The fact is they were even 10 times better than
                    that, they were 100 times better that ANYTHING I had seen or heard
                    before. I truly believe that they are THE most talented young women
                    that the world has ever seen and is ever likely to see and that
                    Natalie has the best, freshest and most unique singing voice in the
                    world EVER. Probably like everyone else at the gig I was trying as
                    hard as possible to try and hear them make a mistake, play out of
                    tune or time or for Natalie to sing out of tune but it did not happen
                    that were absolutely faultless. Well not quite, on the last
                    song "Goodbye Earl" Natalie forgot the words and said "Oh my God,
                    shall we start over" the band stopped playing, Natalie swallowed a
                    large glass of red wine and they did indeed start over, and she
                    almost forgot the words again, their human side had to show through
                    at some point. On the day of the gig they did a 6 hour sound
                    check/rehearsal, this is true dedication. The chicks were in the UK
                    as part of their month long promotional tour as they are trying to
                    break into the UK and European market and their first ever single
                    (Landslide) is due for release here on Mon April 7th. I firmly
                    believe that with everyone's full support in 4-5 years time or less
                    we could be looking looking at the worlds most successful recording
                    artists, they are a true phenomenon.

                    I would therefore urge all American fans who have criticised them
                    over this issue to carefully reconsider their position and contact
                    your local radio and TV stations and urge them to start playing
                    chicks music again as soon as possible and those of you that have
                    destroyed your Chicks CD's do the girls a favor and go buy some more
                    before any more damage is done to their careers.

                    Please remember that although they are unbelievably talented they are
                    only human and like all humans they will sometimes make mistakes. I
                    think this has gone on long enough and now is the time to forgive and
                    forget, after all forgiveness is human nature, because what ever they
                    said cannot take a away the fact that they are VERY VERY good at what
                    they do and Natalie, Martie and Emily are all very proud Americans.

                    Does any one know if the girls are home from Australia yet ? If not
                    is it because they are concerned about their safety and security,
                    after all they have received hate mail and threatening mail and
                    Natalie has said "It is not safe for me and my son there right now"
                    and they have said that "they are having to arrange security for when
                    they return home", or are they simply not due home yet ? Or is it
                    because Nat wanted to spend more time with Adrian, who I know was in
                    Australia at the time of their recent show and has been working
                    there? If it is because of security then I find it very sad that 3
                    young American Women in the year 2003 do not feel safe in their own
                    country.

                    Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

                    This was not written to offend anyone, but I felt these points needed
                    to be raised by someone who was present when Natalie's comments where
                    made and I wished my views to be heard.