Tim McGraw news...

  • Rachel
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2007
      Tim McGraw on the Grammys
      Tim McGraw photo courtesy of Curb Records

      May 1, 2007 — As a bonus to the recent feature on Tim McGraw in the
      print edition of Entertainment Weekly, its website, ew.com, is
      running an extended Q&A in which Tim talks about touring, politics
      and a bone he has to pick with the Grammy Awards.

      This year at the Grammys, Rascal Flatts and Carrie Underwood were
      asked to perform an Eagles tribute instead of being allowed to do
      their own hits, and a few years ago Tim, Keith Urban and Gretchen
      Wilson similarly got shoehorned into doing a tribute to Southern
      rock. Tim says he understands that but has another issue with the
      show.

      "Well, the Grammys are trying to do a TV show and trying to please
      people," he said. "They're trying to get ratings up to keep their
      jobs, and you can't blame them for that. The only thing that bothered
      me with the Grammys this year was the whole thing with people calling
      in to vote on who gets to sing with Justin Timberlake at the end."

      Tim says he thought the stunt diminished "the integrity of the
      Grammys and what it stands for — which is artists and musicians
      spending their whole lives developing a craft, and doing something
      that's their life's work. It got trivialized a little bit with
      something like that, especially the time it took away from a couple
      other artists who would have had the opportunity to perform.

      "But you can't control how they want you to sing," he continues. "I
      do think that people are nominated and are having success because of
      their songs, not because of other people's success. So I think that's
      got to be taken into consideration when they're having people do all
      those different, crazy things."
    • Rachel
      Message 2 of 14 , May 21, 2007
        Tim McGraw's Special Tribute
        Tim McGraw performs onstage during the 42nd Annual Academy Of Country
        Music Awards held at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 15, 2007 in
        Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Frank Micelotta./ACMA/Getty Images for
        ACMA)

        May 21, 2007 — Tim McGraw's performance of "If You're Reading This"
        during the Academy of Country Music Awards last week brought the
        crowd to their feet and tears to many eyes.

        After a closed rehearsal set and days of speculation over what Tim
        would be performing on this year's show, fans and TV viewers were
        surprised with an emotional tribute to the families of America's
        fallen heroes in the war on terror. Nashville's WKRN reports that the
        song was only written three weeks beforehand and was a complete
        surprise to everyone.

        As Tim sang "If You're Reading This," which he wrote with the Warren
        Brothers, tears began to flow in the arena packed with industry execs
        and fans. Toward the end of the performance, lights on stage revealed
        nearly 100 spouses, children and relatives who stood in memory of
        their loved ones — in total representing 32 fallen heroes.

        Tim said he didn't realize the impact of the song until afterward
        when one of the children from the stage approached him. "This little
        5-year-old girl tugged on my sleeve and said, 'You just sang a song
        about my dad, didn't you?'" Tim related, adding, "No matter what side
        of the politics you fall on, these are people going over there
        sacrificing their lives for what they're sent to do."

        The Palm Beach Post reports that Tim paid all of the expenses to fly
        the family members of the fallen heroes to Las Vegas to participate
        in the performance.
      • Rachel
        Message 3 of 14 , May 29, 2007
          Tim McGraw Song Remains TV Moment
          Tim McGraw performs onstage during the 42nd Annual Academy Of Country
          Music Awards held at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 15, 2007 in
          Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Frank Micelotta./ACMA/Getty Images for
          ACMA)

          May 29, 2007 — Billboard reports that despite making the Hot Shot
          Debut on this week's Hot Country Songs Chart, there are no immediate
          plans to release Tim McGraw's "If You're Reading This," the song that
          provided the most memorable moment at the recent Academy of Country
          Music Awards.

          The song, which is receiving significant airplay in Chicago, Detroit,
          Nashville, Des Moines, Iowa and Riverside, Calif., among other
          markets, has not yet been recorded by Tim, according to his label and
          manager. (Stations are playing audio from CBS, which carried the
          awards show.)

          "I want to let everyone know we are working with Tim and his label to
          address the fact we don't have a studio recorded version of this
          song," Tim's manager Scott Siman said in a statement.

          Tim wrote the emotional tribute to the families of fallen soldiers in
          April with the Warren Brothers, Brad and Brett. When he performed it
          on the awards show, the stage was illuminated to reveal a group of
          grieving U.S. soldiers' families under a banner identifying them
          as "Families of Fallen Heroes."

          "The response of the people; to see in their words how this song has
          touched them, is so inspiring," Tim said.

          Tim starts his Soul2Soul 2007 tour with wife, Faith Hill, on June 5
          in Omaha, Neb.
        • rebafan
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 22, 2009
            Tim McGraw Blind Sided by Movie Opportunity
            Tim McGraw Photo Courtesy of Curb Records

            Sept. 22, 2009 — Fans who've seen the trailer for Tim McGraw's next movie are likely noticing a similarity between The Blind Side and his very first motion picture, Friday Night Lights.

            In both cases, Tim plays the father of a high-school football player. Tim wasn't necessarily looking to reprise the earlier role, but The Blind Side script proved irresistible. It's built around the life of Michael Oher, a poverty-stricken Memphis kid who was adopted by a wealthy suburban family. Michael became an All-American college player and was a first-round draft pick of the Baltimore Ravens, and that reversal of fortune kind of roped Tim in.

            "It's a great story," he told the national radio show GAC Nights: Live From Nashville. "It's such an inspirational story, you know, a true story — you know, a kid that came from where this kid came from, to get drafted in the first round of the NFL with millions of dollars and given the chance by this family. So when I read the script, I didn't know if I wanted to do another football movie. I didn't know if I wanted to play a dad again, and so both of these things came in one script. But after reading the script, it was such an inspirational story."

            In addition, Sandra Bullock was already on board and Tim was familiar with producer Gil Netter, who also produced the movie Flicka, which featured Tim on the screen and on the soundtrack.

            The Blind Side comes out Nov. 20, while Tim's next album, Southern Voice, is on the way Oct. 20.
          • rebafan
            Message 5 of 14 , May 24, 2011
              What do you all think?

              Tim McGraw Files Countersuit Against Curb Records
              May 24, 2011

              Tim McGrawTim McGraw has filed a countersuit against his longtime record label, Curb Records, after the company sued him earlier this month for breach of contract. McGraw seeks advance payment, reimbursement for recording expenses, unspecified damages and a jury trial, according to Billboard. On May 16, Billboard reported that Curb has sued McGraw for presenting the master recordings for a new album, Emotional Traffic, too closely to the completion of his 2009 album, Southern Voice. As a result, attorneys for Curb allege the recordings were not "topical and new," as his contract stipulated. In his lawsuit, McGraw says the album was recorded and mastered in early 2009 and 2010. He is asking for Emotional Traffic to complete his contractual obligation to the label and for him to be "free to begin recording for himself or any other party as of July 23, 2011."