Re: [cosmacelf] Propeller COSMAC ELF II Emulator

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8, 2012
      On 4/8/2012 3:49 AM, penguin.robot wrote:
      > I finally have something to show here (at bottom of blog).
      > http://humanoidolabs.blogspot.com/2012/03/propeller-elf-ii.html

      Wow! There is one *heck* of a lot of information there, Penguin.robot!
      It will keep us busy for hours just checking out all those links. Thanks
      for all the effort!

      What does the circuit for your Propeller Elf look like? How many ICs, etc?
      --
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls
      and looks like work. -- Thomas A. Edison
      Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net
    • penguin.robot
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 10, 2012
        Thanks Bill.

        It's the computer I dreamed about back then too... It's really cute. :) Ok, I've added the main schematic so you can get started building the prop 1802 board, and added a schematic for a power supply with +3.3V (runs the Propeller chip), 5V (for sensors driven off pins, etc.), and GND with a 6-9V source. Also included is a schematic for adding a keyboard and mouse. Plus another print for the reset switch, EEPROM add, and crystal. I used DIA on a PC to make the original print but now switched over to the full Ominigraffle Professional Design Center on a high resolution Mac. That will be helpful for making a creative 1802 ELF front panel. Parallax makes the Propeller chip available at US$7.95 with free manuals, software, and data sheets. This emulator project costs less than the original COSMAC ELF II in the 1970s.

        Here's the updated Propeller COSMAC ELF II project.
        (at the bottom of the post)
        http://humanoidolabs.blogspot.com/2012/03/propeller-elf-ii.html

        This is the source of Propeller chips and support information.
        www.parallax.com

        Humanoido

        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, bill rowe <bill_rowe_ottawa@...> wrote:
        > interesting work - thanks for sharing. I don't think i've seen an 1802 packaged with that sort of front panel but i'm sure i would have lusted for it back in the day.
      • penguin.robot
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 10, 2012
          Another busy COSMAC ELF II day - added more schematics, now you can connect a crystal for an accurate time base and a TV for running Tiny BASIC. Added new 1802 links and sources plus more ELF emulators and ELF machines.

          I want to thank everyone for their interest in this project - this group has really charged up my passion for this little hardware ELF project. :)

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 11, 2012
            i'm not clear on the front panel plan though. Could you sketch what you have in mind for the end product?

            To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 13, 2012
              Bill,

              The original ELF has Run, Load, and M/P. MP is for memory protect. Run is to run the program. Load is to load the program. On some versions, IN or is for input data. I plan to use the toggle power switch, the Enter Step push button, and the Add/Sub toggle with re-purposing. It will become obvious after the new front panel print is made. The remaining eight toggles are for binary data. There's some artistic space as one toggle could double duty with load and run. That's because the panel has three switches to work with for elf functions in addition to the data switches. This is the verbal sketch. :)