The Dots Program

  • bill_rowe_ottawa
    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2003
      I've posted a zip file (dots.zip) in the files section with an
      assembled version of the Tom Pittman DOTS program (source code
      provided by Lee Hart and converted to PSUDASM format).

      The program accepts keyboard input and displays it as proportionally
      spaced dot matrix characters via the 1861. It is a version of the
      output side of the i/o drivers for the Pittman tiny basic.

      Besides being a neat hack it's an excellent example of the kind of
      programming Pittman could do. It's full of all kinds of things we
      would never dream of doing today but just had to have in memory-
      constrained 1978.

      This code was the subject of two long articles in Kilobaud in early
      1979 which are also a great example of Pittman's style and obsessions.

      Thanks for the source Lee, this was fun. I had to make a couple of
      small changes by the way to get low memory initialized properly.