Does anyone want to buy an Elf 2000 ???

  • questsuperelf
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
      If you would like the opportunity to build your very own Elf 2000, please join the waiting list! If enough people join Bob might make up another batch!

      Scroll down to the bottom of this webpage to where it says "Sold Out!" and then click on the "Join the waiting list" link below it:

      http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Hardware/Elf2K.html

      -Nick
    • dddiceman
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2012
        Is Bob really interested in doing another run, or just forgot to take down that link? I would be somewhat tempted to build another unit. Bob, comment?

        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "questsuperelf" <questsuperelf@...> wrote:

        > If you would like the opportunity to build your very own Elf 2000, please join the waiting list! If enough people join Bob might make up another batch!
        >
        > Scroll down to the bottom of this webpage to where it says "Sold Out!" and then click on the "Join the waiting list" link below it:
        >
        > http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Hardware/Elf2K.html
        >
        > -Nick

      • Bob Armstrong
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2012
          > I would be somewhat tempted to build another unit. Bob, comment?

          If I can sell 25 PCBs then I'll do another batch of the combo boards. The
          follow up rate for the waiting list (i.e. people who actually buy a board as
          a fraction of those who say "put me on the list") runs around 50%, so I'd
          like to see at least 40 names on the list. Right now I think we're around
          10-15, so we're not there yet. Personally I think the market is saturated
          at this point - most people who wanted a kit got one, and there's just a few
          late comers left over.

          If someone would like the job of distributor - you buy PCBs from me in a
          big batch and then sell them yourself, then let me know. I'm willing to
          do this, but serious inquiries only, please. You're looking at least a $1K+
          investment up front in inventory with no guarantee that you'll sell
          anything.

          Bob

        • josephjohnblackburn
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2012
            Yes, I would be tempted to build a second E2K board. And i fit comes up, the original hex keypad, too! Put me on the list!

            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Armstrong" <bob@...> wrote:

            > > I would be somewhat tempted to build another unit. Bob, comment?
            >
            > If I can sell 25 PCBs then I'll do another batch of the combo boards. The
            > follow up rate for the waiting list (i.e. people who actually buy a board as
            > a fraction of those who say "put me on the list") runs around 50%, so I'd
            > like to see at least 40 names on the list. Right now I think we're around
            > 10-15, so we're not there yet. Personally I think the market is saturated
            > at this point - most people who wanted a kit got one, and there's just a few
            > late comers left over.
            >
            > If someone would like the job of distributor - you buy PCBs from me in a
            > big batch and then sell them yourself, then let me know. I'm willing to
            > do this, but serious inquiries only, please. You're looking at least a $1K+
            > investment up front in inventory with no guarantee that you'll sell
            > anything.
            >
            > Bob

          • dddiceman
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2012
              This isn't the right place to get listed. You need to use the form on the E2K website.

              --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "josephjohnblackburn" <josephjohnblackburn@...> wrote:

              > Yes, I would be tempted to build a second E2K board. And i fit comes up, the original hex keypad, too! Put me on the list!
              >
              > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Armstrong" <bob@> wrote:
              > >
              > > > I would be somewhat tempted to build another unit. Bob, comment?
              > >
              > > If I can sell 25 PCBs then I'll do another batch of the combo boards. The
              > > follow up rate for the waiting list (i.e. people who actually buy a board as
              > > a fraction of those who say "put me on the list") runs around 50%, so I'd
              > > like to see at least 40 names on the list. Right now I think we're around
              > > 10-15, so we're not there yet. Personally I think the market is saturated
              > > at this point - most people who wanted a kit got one, and there's just a few
              > > late comers left over.
              > >
              > > If someone would like the job of distributor - you buy PCBs from me in a
              > > big batch and then sell them yourself, then let me know. I'm willing to
              > > do this, but serious inquiries only, please. You're looking at least a $1K+
              > > investment up front in inventory with no guarantee that you'll sell
              > > anything.
              > >
              > > Bob

            • Jim
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 6, 2012
                Hi Guys,

                I also am one who would like to buy one of Bob's Elf 2000 kits and had my name added to the waiting list a couple weeks ago for one kit.

                However, if we who are on the current waiting list want to receive an Elf 2000 kit anytime soon, will have to help get the number of desired kits high enough so that Bob will have another batch made.

                To help get Bob to his target number of 25 Elf 2000 kits being preordered before having them go into production, I have signed up for 5 kits. I plan on keeping two kits, and will sell off the other three. If a few more of us on Bob's waiting list were to order an extra kit or two, we all could have our Elf 2000 kit soon.

                Anyone else in the group who is also on the Elf 2000 kit waiting list have any comments or ideas?

                Regards,

                Jim Toews VE7UV

                --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "questsuperelf" <questsuperelf@...> wrote:

                > If you would like the opportunity to build your very own Elf 2000, please join the waiting list! If enough people join Bob might make up another batch!
                >
                > Scroll down to the bottom of this webpage to where it says "Sold Out!" and then click on the "Join the waiting list" link below it:
                >
                > http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Hardware/Elf2K.html
                >
                > -Nick

              • Bee Dee
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 6, 2012
                  I posted the notice on several CRAVen Yahoo Groups, and got a couple
                  of interested replies. (I meant to post it on a couple of forums, but
                  I forgot) This is my current list of groups I've joined:

                  cravcomp | 8bitcomp | cccwww | classic-8-bits | classic-computers |
                  cosmacelf | midatlanticretro | rcacosmac | smartsockets | sparetimegizmos

                  If I had the money, I would do what you're doing, and buy at least a
                  few kits. I figure someone down the line will more than likely buy
                  them. I tried to encourage Bob to make a surplus of kits, and I think
                  he might have (a few), but it's a lot of work and expense for him for
                  something that, even if it does sell eventually, you're left with the
                  out-go of money and time and resources hoping that MAYBE (probably,
                  but, still) you will get recouped. So you definitely can't blame him
                  for being conservative.

                  If anyone has the 'extra' funds available, it could be an investment
                  of sorts. I don't think it's wrong to ask for a little more than what
                  you paid for the kit for your time and potential 'liability'. (although,
                  if Bob never offers the kits again, then they will increase in value
                  over time, as all of this CRAV stuff does) Maybe Bob would give people
                  who purchase more than 2 or 3 kits a discount on the extra kits, since
                  they are obviously (?) purchasing them for eventual re-sale, and I doubt
                  anyone's going to be making a lot of money on them, so it's more of
                  an "in support of the community" thing, and takes some of the 'burden'
                  off of Bob. (that would be my intent, anyway)

                  Plus, there were several people who bought a kit who didn't chime in,
                  so I think at least one person missed out on the first batch. I thought
                  there was a second batch, already, but maybe not.

                  Does anyone know what the current count is?

                  - Bill D
                  ... CRAV Computing Hobbyist : Classic/Retro/Antique/Vintage
                  ..... http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cravcomp/
                  ..... http://www.donnelly-house.net/
                • Jim
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 7, 2012
                    Hi Bill,

                    I think it's great that you are putting the word out about Bob's Elf 2000 pc board kit. After I told Bob that I would buy 5 Elf 2k kits, he said that my 5 put the number on the waiting list to almost 20. So hopefully if your multi group posts generate some kit purchases it won't be too long before we'll see some Elf 2k pc boards produced.

                    Regards,

                    Jim VE7UV
                    BC, Canada