Re: More Soroc

  • Stewart
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 17, 2003
      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "J.C.Wren" <jcwren@j...> wrote:
      > http://neurosis.hungry.com/~ben/hardware/soroc/

      I have an old Soroc IQ-120, the same one discussed in the link above.
      I just opened it up and did not see an 1802 anywhere in it! The only
      40-pin chip is the UART (AY-5-1013).

      Stewart
    • J.C.Wren
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 17, 2003
        How odd. I would have expected any terminal with that much functionality to
        have used a CPU to do it. Even if it wasn't an 1802. Surely they didn't do
        all that in TTL...

        --John

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 17, 2003
          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "J.C.Wren" <jcwren@j...> wrote:
          > How odd. I would have expected any terminal with that much
          > functionality to have used a CPU to do it. Even if it wasn't
          > an 1802. Surely they didn't do
          > all that in TTL...

          The DEC VT62, which is a block mode terminal comparable to the SOROC is implemented as a simple TTL CPU with a ROM microprogram. Almost a state machine, really. The memory board (IIRC) has 16 4Kb DRAMs and 4 mask ROMs and everything else is TTL.

          Someday I hope to get mine working, but up to now I have only opened it up and looked at it... the logic boards total something like 450 square inches. I'd like to find a service manual before I dive in! Especially t's the only serious piece of vintage DEC hardware that I have.

          Jim
        • Stewart
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 18, 2003
            The Soroc looks pretty much like this inside. A HUGE motherboard with
            a 40-pin UART right in the middle, a couple of 24-pin jobs that look
            like ROM, and then lots and lots of smaller ordinary logic IC's.

            Stew

            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, jkearneyma <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "J.C.Wren" <jcwren@j...> wrote:
            > > How odd. I would have expected any terminal with that much
            > > functionality to have used a CPU to do it. Even if it wasn't
            > > an 1802. Surely they didn't do
            > > all that in TTL...
            >
            > The DEC VT62, which is a block mode terminal comparable to the SOROC is implemented as a simple TTL CPU with a ROM microprogram. Almost a state machine, really. The memory board (IIRC) has 16 4Kb DRAMs and 4 mask ROMs and everything else is TTL.
          • softsmyth
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 18, 2003
              Unicorn Electronics still carries the 74C923 and the 9368 HEX
              decoder/driver for around $5 each... I just bought some recently...
              they ship quickly...

              http://www.unicornelectronics.com/74C.html
              http://www.unicornelectronics.com/9000.html