Re: [cosmacelf] 1802-based products: Bosch EFI DME system

  • Mark Graybill
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 7, 2011
      Hi Lee,

      I got several 1802s from EFI controllers to use for other purposes. I had a friend who had an auto repair shop who's interested in computers. I told him about the controllers, and he mentioned that they "throw those away all the time." I held back a scream, and asked him to save them for me in the future if possible. I've gotten about a dozen 1802s that way now.

      The EFI computer itself isn't very reusable, unless you have a very limited application. They have a mask programmed ROM, and most of the I/O and memory capacity goes unused.

      I'll see if I've still got an old board around to post a picture of. I should also check in with my friend, it's been over a year since I've gotten any controllers from him. He may have thrown some in a box in the garage and forgotten to mention them to me, though the last time I talked to him about them he mentioned that he's not seeing so many of them any more.

      Mark G.
      http://saundby.com/
      Electronics, Books, Video Games, etc.
      AG6HU

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 7, 2011
        On 12/7/2011 5:13 PM, Mark Graybill wrote:
        > Hi Lee,
        >
        > I got several 1802s from EFI controllers to use for other purposes. I had a friend who had an auto repair shop who's interested in computers. I told him about the controllers, and he mentioned that they "throw those away all the time." I held back a scream, and asked him to save them for me in the future if possible. I've gotten about a dozen 1802s that way now.
        >
        > The EFI computer itself isn't very reusable, unless you have a very limited application. They have a mask programmed ROM, and most of the I/O and memory capacity goes unused.
        >
        > I'll see if I've still got an old board around to post a picture of. I should also check in with my friend, it's been over a year since I've gotten any controllers from him. He may have thrown some in a box in the garage and forgotten to mention them to me, though the last time I talked to him about them he mentioned that he's not seeing so many of them any more.

        Cool! Could the ROM be replaced with a standard part with a monitor
        program or something useful in it?

      • Mark Graybill
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 7, 2011
          It could, but getting useful general purpose I/O would take yet more
          hacking.

          If I turn up any more I'll send you one, Lee.

          -Mark

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 8, 2011

            Mark Graybill wrote:
            > It could, but getting useful general purpose I/O would take yet more
            > hacking.

            I wonder if a Chrysler service manual would provide any hints on the
            inputs and outputs. It must have some high-current outputs to drive fuel
            injectors, and a variety of analog and digital inputs to sense
            temperatures or switches.