Re: [cosmacelf] Re: Glad To Be Part Of This Group

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 7, 2011
      On 12/7/2011 11:20 AM, Marc wrote:

      > Hi Lee,
      >
      > I googled what you mentionned regarding the PIC 1802 emulator and came up with Ted Rossin at http://www.tedrossin.0sites.net/Electronics/RCA/RCA.html
      >
      > Cool!!!

      Yeah, that was the name! Thanks for the reminder.

      One implementation used an 8-pin PIC as the "1802", with serial shift
      registers to provide the Elf's usual 8-bit parallel input and output
      ports. He had the usual control switches as well, so you could load a
      program with switches, and run it. The only limitation was that he only
      had something like 64 bytes of program memory.

      There was also an Elf with a larger PIC in place of the 1802. This PIC
      provided more memory and I/O. Though the resulting chip count was about
      the same as an equivalent design with a real 1802.

      I think it would be fun to aim for something in between. Use a larger
      PIC, and minimize the number of external chips, so you have a fully
      functional Elf with (say) half the chips. :-) It could include the 1861
      as well, which means the PIC replaces two rather hard-to-get chips.

    • Marc
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 8, 2011
        Hi Everyone,

        Small update.
        Just to let everyone know that I finally changed the crappy pics on my website.

        Regards,

        marcpic.com