Re-creating HP 5082-7340 or TIL311

  • whd_whd_whd
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 17, 2011
      Do you think it would be possible to re-create these displays in the same footprint as the originals?

      I suppose using small LED's and some logic of some sort.

      Or, what is the smallest footprint that you think it could be done in?

      And what "technology" do you think would be best to do it with?
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 18, 2011
        On 8/18/2011 1:18 AM, whd_whd_whd wrote:
        > Do you think it would be possible to re-create these displays in the same footprint as the originals?
        >
        > I suppose using small LED's and some logic of some sort.
        >
        > Or, what is the smallest footprint that you think it could be done in?
        >
        > And what "technology" do you think would be best to do it with?

        You could; but the originals are still available new.

        If you wanted to make "new" ones, it could be a small PCB with
        surface-mount LEDs on one side, and a micro on the other side,
        programmed to emulate the original HP or TI chips. It could be the same
        size as the orignal, and even have pins so it plugs into the original
        socket. It would be fun to design; but tedious to assemble (and costly
        to have someone do it for you).

        A more practical route would be to use an existing 7-segment LED
        display. Again, use a surface-mount version, and mount it to a tiny PCB.
        Use a surface-mount micro on the back to run it. Again, it could be the
        same size as the original chips (but thicker), and have the same pinouts.

        You could also enlarge the whole thing, using standard thru-hole parts
        to make it easier to assemble. The board would be much bigger, but could
        have a pin heater and/or flat cable to plug into an existing Elf's
        display socket.

        There are advantages to making it as a 2-digit display, too. One micro
        can run both 7-segment displays, for example. It would be harder to make
        it plug-compatible with old Elfs though, because the spacing between the
        two HP or TIL displays was not standardized.

      • mlukasek
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 18, 2011
          As Lee wrote, there are many possibilities. The question to choose the right solution is why do yo want to do that? You can find the original displays arround 5 USD from time to time, which is not so bad.

          I wrote a small article about it on my blog recently at http://www.8bity.cz/?p=904. Sorry it is only in Czech, you can try autotranslate to English in upper right part of my site, but I think the most important is video and pictures you can find there.

          Regards

          Martin