1802 in OSCAR Satellite

  • Charles Richmond
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2011
      See the following web page:

      <http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/satellites/satInfo.php?satID=39>

      I don't think OSCAR was mentioned on Herb Johnson's page.

      | Charles and Francis Richmond |
      | |
      | plano dot net at aquaporin4 dot com |
    • Dennis Boone
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2011
        > <http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/satellites/satInfo.php?satID=39>

        > I don't think OSCAR was mentioned on Herb Johnson's page.

        Not just AO-13, either, but all of the Phase 3 satellites used the 1802
        and the IPS language. I'd like to see the IPS software available for
        ELF folks.

        De
      • awasson2001
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2011
          I picked up some 1802 Canadian Space stuff several years ago. I've got it put safely away while I was renovating but I'll be unpacking it soon. I'll photo catalogue it and upload it to the site when I get around to it hopefully before the end of summer.

          The unit I have is all RCA boards with some creative wiring, a hex keypad, 7-seg displays, ram/rom, IO, etc... It has a backplane and a bunch of slots for expansion.

          Andrew

          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Boone <drb@...> wrote:

          > > <http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/satellites/satInfo.php?satID=39>
          >
          > > I don't think OSCAR was mentioned on Herb Johnson's page.
          >
          > Not just AO-13, either, but all of the Phase 3 satellites used the 1802
          > and the IPS language. I'd like to see the IPS software available for
          > ELF folks.
          >
          > De

        • thinkpast
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 2011
            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Boone <drb@...> wrote:

            > > <http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/satellites/satInfo.php?satID=39>
            >
            > > I don't think OSCAR was mentioned on Herb Johnson's page.
            >
            > Not just AO-13, either, but all of the Phase 3 satellites used the 1802
            > and the IPS language. I'd like to see the IPS software available for
            > ELF folks.
            >
            > De

            Yes, I'm aware of that reference and it will be on my Web page in the near future. However, I cannot find clear references to all of the "Phase 3" satellites as to their internal architecture. A side issue is that the first of the, a "Phase IIIA" was built and launched - but the rocket failed during launch. Consequently, that satellite never became an "Oscar". Details on that satellite's construction are hard to find, it would be constructed earlier than Oscar 13 but not represent an earlier "use in space" for the 1802.

            Complicated, isn't it? I generally don't "post" these details in discussion groups, because 1) it's too much information for an email, 2) details invariably need updating and 3) too many people don't look at posts again because 4) it's too hard to search through old discussion group "threads". We saw 3) and 4) in action recently.

            Whereas, Web pages can be searched for, and updated as I'm updating mine as time permits. Anyone with more information (primary sources if at all possible, or accounts from the era in publications like QST), is welcome to contact me via my Web site, links on my Web pages.

            http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/1802_spacecraft.html

            Herb Johnson
            retrotechnology.com
          • thinkpast
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2011
              I now have a preliminary Web page on amateur satellites which used the COSMAC 1802:

              http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/amsat.html

              It references the AMSAT "Phase III" or Phase 3 program of satellites of the late 1970's, and the University of Surray's UoSAT series of satellites. When orbited, these became the "OSCAR" series of satellites. I list references to several documents I've found on the Web. Unfortunately, some of them are only abstracts and the documents must be purchased, or read at libraries which hold those journals.

              My document links to a similar document for science spacecraft which used or may have used the 1802:

              http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/1802_spacecraft.html

              Thanks to Steve Gemeny and Lee Hart and Dennis Boone for their information and private discussions with me on the amsats, or recent posts here which I assume I can quote in my document given their prior cooperation.

              I've concluded that the AMSATs use of the 1802 in orbit, was preceded by the JHU/APL MAGSAT launched in 1979 as I've recently described. For those keeping score on the AMSATS...

              Based on findings I've read to date, AMSATs OSCAR 10 / Phase3B orbited in 1983, and OSCAR 9 / UoSAT-1 orbited in 1981, each definitely had an 1802 processor and made orbit. AMSAT's Phase-3A launched in 1980 likely had an 1802, but failed to achieve orbit. Details and dates of launch are on my Web site, with reference links to Web documents and print publications.

              The early UoSATs from the University of Surrey in the UK had pairs of processors, by the way. They include the 1802 as primary, and either the F100L or later the NSC800 as secondary. Later still the 80C186 was used.

              MAGSAT, Phase3, and Galileo were all designed in the late 1970s, so they compete for earliest *design or construction* which later achieved orbit. Hard to date things like that, but Galileo had years of planning which included aspects of the prior Voyager program. Some confusion between Galileo and Voyager may be accounted for by that circumstance.

              I'd welcome comments and corrections. I read a lot of documents fast, searched a lot of Web pages, so I'm sure I made errors or missed information. This is work in progress for sure, I'll have to do physical library reading when I can locate and schedule it. (Thanks to Steve Gemeny again, for supplying documents to me even as I work on this.)

              PLease back up any info or corrections given, with specific
              references, to documents and authors which are pretty solid and specific. Given some of these documents are retrospective, the memories of the authors can be incorrect even if they are authoritative. Other documents may be news reports, which can have technical content errors. Period documents would be better.

              Herb Johnson
              retrotechnology.com