RE: [cosmacelf] Re: Elf II power supply at Ebay

  • Paul Backhouse
    Message 1 of 11 , May 14, 2011
      Richard this post interested me greatly because I had never seen the
      Netronics PSU before (I've captured the larger auction images).
      My Elf II still uses a -8v 0v +8v supply marketed by London Company HL audio
      in the 1970's to use ELF with the 230v domestic supply here in the UK.

      Paul B

      Message 2 of 11 , May 14, 2011
        I still have my complete ELF II, tapes and Super Expansion board, all working, but no one seems to want to pay my price.

        I use an old computer power supply with all boards using 5 volts instead of 8. There is also +12 and –12 volts plus –5 volts. Works well and has been for years.

        Bob

        Message 3 of 11 , May 14, 2011
          As you can see on the back side, the power supply is specified at 117V, 60Hz, 45W. I still use it, but it is plugged into a transformer for appliances (230V -> 110V). The monitor is also plugged into that transformer.

          Here in Germany we used to have 220V (50 Hz) until a while ago when it was changed to 230V (60 Hz). It would have been possible that the monitor would not work with 50 Hz, but it never had any problems.
        • Richard
          Message 4 of 11 , May 14, 2011
            Well, I can't even tell you a price at which I would consider selling the Elf. It's not that I'm speculating to get even more in the future, the personal value is just much greater than any money. And by now I think that old computers from the short time period before they were mass produced in factories must be preserved. They already are rare and in a few years practically all of them will be collecting dust in someone's collection. Only a few will remain in working condition and with owners who still know how to make them work.