old cosmac 1802 viper user

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 27, 2011
      hello:

      I have a old cosmac 1802 vipe, that I have been just sitting there, but I am
      curious how to get things going with it.

      JIM

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 28, 2011
        On 1/27/2011 8:01 AM, Jim Hall wrote:
        > hello:
        >
        > I have a old cosmac 1802 vipe, that I have been just sitting there, but I am
        > curious how to get things going with it.

        Is it a "VIP" (the computer; a blue board made by RCA)? Or possibly a
        stack of "VIPERs" which was a magazine devoted to the 1802 and VIP computer?

        The VIP is pretty easy to use. Do you still have the manual? It plugs
        into an ordinary TV set (can use the direct video input), needs a little
        "wall wart" DC power supply of about 9 volts, and you'll need a cassette
        recorder (or equivalent) to save and load programs.

        The manual has a lot of simple programs you can type in from the
        keyboard. It also has the CHIP8 interpreter software. Once that's typed
        in and saved to cassette, it can run some crude but playable games.

      • Jim Hall
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 28, 2011
          hello:
          I have found my collection of VIPER and have been busy reading them, how things
          have changed since then is totally amazing, where we have been. Back then I was
          putting in some of the games to the machine and saving them, but trying to find
          a recorder these days, is the most hardest thing to do. I tried many hardware
          projects back then, even trying my hand at wire wrapping the Popular Electronics
          1802 Elf that was out. Finding parts was fun, but never finished the board. I
          cared enough to look even harder to do machine language stuff, but as soon I
          found a IBM machine, I dropped the 1802. With simulators around and chip-8 being
          on a PC now, I am going to try to learn it all over again.

          I do have many VIPER publications and love to try anything again.

          Excited to know I am still loving my 1802
          jim

          ________________________________
          > I have a old cosmac 1802 vipe, that I have been just sitting there, but I am
          > curious how to get things going with it.

          Is it a "VIP" (the computer; a blue board made by RCA)? Or possibly a
          stack of "VIPERs" which was a magazine devoted to the 1802 and VIP computer?

          The VIP is pretty easy to use. Do you still have the manual? It plugs
          into an ordinary TV set (can use the direct video input), needs a little
          "wall wart" DC power supply of about 9 volts, and you'll need a cassette
          recorder (or equivalent) to save and load programs.

          The manual has a lot of simple programs you can type in from the
          keyboard. It also has the CHIP8 interpreter software. Once that's typed
          in and saved to cassette, it can run some crude but playable games.

        • Ray Sills
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 28, 2011
            Hi Jim:

            OK on finding the VIPER collection. Yours truly was the publisher of
            VIPER for Volumes 3 through 5.. and 6.1 which was the final issue.
            I still have most of the issues, but am missing a number of issues
            from Volume 5.

            Regarding the RCA VIP machine.. the power supply voltage for the bare
            board is 5 volts, not 9 volts. However, there was space on the board
            for a regulator chip (7805). A heat sink is needed as well. All the
            info is in the RCA manual for the VIP.

            In addition to this group, there is a Yahoo group for the VIP, too.
            (rcacosmac). Several people have be writing emulators to run virtual
            1802 machines. Check the group files section.

            CHIP-8 is a neat language. Perfect for the 1802, be it VIP or ELF.

            73 de Ray

          • Jim Hall
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 28, 2011
              Hello Ray:

              First off I dusted of my collection of VIPER, and I found VOLUME 5 with issues
              #1, #4, and #6. I am willing and able to scan what ever you need. I am also
              questioning how many issues were made total ? It seems I have huge places where
              in above I am missing #2,#3, and #5. If you need anything else I can attach what
              ever is need.

              I have also found a RCA book of products for the RCA 1802 which has support
              systems for it, like a Floppy disk system, Microtutor #2 and a very interesting
              evaluation kit as well as a Micromonitor system as well.

              With that with great surprize in that RCA Book was a ancient computer punch car
              that was never used. I seem to have hit a glory hole of information and things
              to think about.

              Thanks for your concern for my love of my old machine,
              jim