Cheap ($10) logic analyzer ready to be built

  • ted_rossin
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2010
      I finished up my first version of the PIC 18F2620 cheap logic analyzer (about $10) which is capable of taking 3936 samples at a 5M sample/second rate (200ns/sample). You can find the new project here:

      http://www.tedrossin.0sites.net/Electronics/Pic/Pic.html

      I added a voltmeter mode where the 5 analog inputs of the PIC are sampled and displayed on the screen. I also implemented run length encoding for transferring the samples in order to get the update rate a bit faster over the ~10Kbyte/sec serial port. The PC side software can cleanly update the PIC firmware so as new versions are available, the changes will not require pulling the part off the board.

      Let me know if you find problems. It seems to work well debugging 1802 based systems.
    • Bill Rowe(Rogers email)

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2010
            Ted,

            First, great to see your website back on the air! Thanks for sharing
            all your interesting projects.

            I'm very interested in your cheap logic analyzer (and in the 1802
            clone). I know very little about PICs as I'm more into the MSP430
            family. That's where my limited budget for development tools goes. So:

            1) Do you have any plans to make a PIC chip available preprogrammed
            with the logic analyzer firmware? From what I understand, I could then
            program upgrades through the serial port.

            2) Or, if I bought the proper chip and sent it to you, could you
            program it with the firmware?

            3) Or, failing those alternatives, what is the rock-bottom cheapest
            way to program a PIC? I'm looking for MSP430 LaunchPad cheap ($4.30)
            or, at most, EZ430 cheap ($20). I did a quick check of PICkit 2 and
            PICkit 3 pricing, and that's more than I can justify spending for a
            processor family I probably won't be doing any development with.

            Thanks,

            --John

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 6, 2010
              The PICkit 2 is $35 from Mouser (just $15 more than you would like to spend). I don't plan on selling preprogrammed parts but I have programmed up parts for people in the past that have sent them to me with some cash to cover return postage.

              Yes. Once you get one programmed, you can update it through the serial port. The 1861 emulator does not have this feature so once it is programmed, you are stuck with it.

              Send me an email for my home address if you want to send me parts.

              Ted.

              --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, John Porubek <jporubek@...> wrote:

              > Ted,
              >
              > First, great to see your website back on the air! Thanks for sharing
              > all your interesting projects.
              >
              > I'm very interested in your cheap logic analyzer (and in the 1802
              > clone). I know very little about PICs as I'm more into the MSP430
              > family. That's where my limited budget for development tools goes. So:
              >
              > 1) Do you have any plans to make a PIC chip available preprogrammed
              > with the logic analyzer firmware? From what I understand, I could then
              > program upgrades through the serial port.
              >
              > 2) Or, if I bought the proper chip and sent it to you, could you
              > program it with the firmware?
              >
              > 3) Or, failing those alternatives, what is the rock-bottom cheapest
              > way to program a PIC? I'm looking for MSP430 LaunchPad cheap ($4.30)
              > or, at most, EZ430 cheap ($20). I did a quick check of PICkit 2 and
              > PICkit 3 pricing, and that's more than I can justify spending for a
              > processor family I probably won't be doing any development with.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > --John
              >
              > On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 1:26 PM, ted_rossin <ted_rossin@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I finished up my first version of the PIC 18F2620 cheap logic analyzer (about $10) which is capable of taking 3936 samples at a 5M sample/second rate (200ns/sample).  You can find the new project here:
              > >
              > > http://www.tedrossin.0sites.net/Electronics/Pic/Pic.html
              > >
              > > I added a voltmeter mode where the 5 analog inputs of the PIC are sampled and displayed on the screen.  I also implemented run length encoding for transferring the samples in order to get the update rate a bit faster over the ~10Kbyte/sec serial port.  The PC side software can cleanly update the PIC firmware so as new versions are available, the changes will not require pulling the part off the board.
              > >
              > > Let me know if you find problems.  It seems to work well debugging 1802 based systems.

            • Megaslug
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 7, 2010
                I have a USB PIC programmer I bought on eBay, they go for about $25 and have a ZIF socket to handle just about any PIC up to the 40 pin ones.I use it to program the PICs for the interface boards on my model railroad. I also have the PICKit 2 which came in the starter kit I bought to learn some of this programming for myself.

                --Randy