Re: Pixie video from ELF2000

  • ted_rossin
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2010
      Thanks David. I've done some experiments with various TVs around the house and web searches to confirm your numbers which as we all knew were correct. So, I did some algebra and came up with a video out circuit and values that works (at least on my PIC 1861 emulator http://www.tedrossin.0sites.net/Electronics/RCA/RCA.html#ElfClone). On the PIC the output high voltage is 5V as I would expect the 1861 to be. The PIC has more drive current(about 20mA instead of about 4ma for the 1861).

      If the monitor you are connecting up to has a 75 Ohm termination (which they all do). Then skip the pull down resistor (the 75 ohm terminator in the monitor will do) and just use a resistor from the SYNC pin to the video connector and the VID pin to the video connector:

      NSYNC--/\/\/\/---|
      VID----/\/\/\/---|
      .................|
      .................+----- Video

      The value for the NSYNC resistor is 1K and the value for the VID resistor is 429 but just use two 220 Ohm resistors in series to get 440 Ohms which is close enough. So you still only have 3 resistors which are common values.

      To solve for the values I created two equations which have two unknows:

      R1=Rsync = 75R2(1-Sb)/(Sb(R2+75))
      R2=Rvid =R1(75/Sw-75)/(R1+75(1-1/Sw)

      Where Sb is the black scale factor and Sw is the white scale factor.
      Sb = 0.3/5 = 0.06 and Sw = 1.0/5 = 0.2

      This gives:
      R1=Rsync = 1175R2/(R2+75)
      R2=Rvid = 300R1/(R1-300)
      Solving and using the quadradic equation gives:
      R1=Rsync = 1000
      R2=Rvid = 429

      The max current draw is 13mA which is more than the 1861 can drive with one pin but there are two pins trying to drive this so it may work ok.