I Now Have My Membership Card! Retro-computing in a Can

  • Todd
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 26, 2010
      With much help and assistance from Lee Hart and Herb Johnson, I now have my own COSMAC 1802 Membership Card up and running. This is a great kit from Lee and the help these two gentleman provided was excellent. I learned much in this effort about practical electronics which, I believe, is one of the whole points of Lee's kit.

      Here are links to pics and videos of the results:

      YouTube:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbsPddZsmVI
      Flickr:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/39844942@N07/sets/72157624578704154/
      Facebook:
      http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=458382&id=526450230

      P. Todd
    • Todd

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 30, 2010
          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Todd" <ptdpublic@...> wrote:

          > With much help from Lee [Hart] and Herb Johnson, I was able to get
          > one of Lee's "Membership Card" prototypes up and running....

          Todd did some great diagnostic work on the Membership Card, and came up with some useful widgets, like a single-step circuit. He's also built a nice kit, and shows that in photos and videos. I've documented and linked to his efforts on this Web page:

          http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/mem_decker.html

          I've revised the home page for the Membership card project:

          http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/memship.html

          My "build" of the kit shows the nuts and bolts of it:

          http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/memkit.html

          There's many associated Web pages, which cover revisions, software, the work that occurred on Lee's project, including discussions of it here in cosmacelf. It may be confusing to see so much material and so many Web links. Of course, these accumulated over time, I've done a little editing recently. So "refresh" your Web browser if you have visited these pages before.

          But my point in providing it all, is to show how these kinds of small-scale projects develop; AND to show the context of today's interest in such "old tech". That's the larger mission of my "retrotechnology" Web site - to preserve and to encourage interest in early microcomputing and other kinds of "tech". Other pages on my site cover some of that.

          Herb Johnson
          retrotechnology.com
        • ted_rossin
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 30, 2010
            Looks great. I like the video.

            How is it that you get 3.0V out of three 1.5V batteries or is the label on the power supply can wrong?

            Thanks for posting the video. Cool stuff.

            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Todd" <ptdpublic@...> wrote:

            > With much help and assistance from Lee Hart and Herb Johnson, I now have my own COSMAC 1802 Membership Card up and running. This is a great kit from Lee and the help these two gentleman provided was excellent. I learned much in this effort about practical electronics which, I believe, is one of the whole points of Lee's kit.
            >
            > Here are links to pics and videos of the results:
            >
            > YouTube:
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbsPddZsmVI
            > Flickr:
            > http://www.flickr.com/photos/39844942@N07/sets/72157624578704154/
            > Facebook:
            > http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=458382&id=526450230
            >
            > P. Todd

          • Todd
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 31, 2010
              I have found the key to endless energy!

              (No, reality is of course that I stupidly labeled the box. I thought I pointed that out in a pop-up during the video--I'll go back and check.)