Re: [cosmacelf] 1802 vs 1805/6

  • Magnus
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 26 7:51 AM
      Hello Bob!

      Thanks a lot for your answers. However there were so much more nice stuff in the list:
      CDP1851, 1852, 1853, 1856, 1857, 1858, 1859, 1861, 1867, 1868, 1870, 1871, 1872, 1877, 1879 and some more ...

      Magnus

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 26 9:37 AM
        Magnus,

        Nice find.

        The answer to your question is: (as usual) it depends. The 1805/6, as you
        mentioned, has more instructions and is a bit more powerful. However,
        what it is lacking is the Program Load mode built in to the processor. If
        you are running a system with a ROM startup routine, then the 1805 will
        work fine (it is fully object code compatible with the 1802), but if you
        are running a Classic Elf-class system with no ROM and the toggle switches
        to load your programs, then the 1805 will not work. This is mentioned in
        Spare Time Gizmo's Elf 2000 manual (pg. 2, the last bullet point under the
        Overview.)

        --
        Art G. Granzeier III
        President, Granzeier Consulting

        1802 vs 1805/6
        Posted by: "Magnus" tubes@... soundbrigade
        Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:14 am (PDT)

        >Yo!
        >
        >I was looking for cheap (surplus) components at small components shop
        here >in Sweden when I spotted lots of COSMAC chips in the list. OF
        COURSE there >was the 1802, which I just bought on eBay ...but also
        1805/6. The latter >has some extra functions like internal
        timers/counters and extra >instruxctions.
        >My question is, is there any idea to grab an 1805/06 instead of the 1802
        >"just in case ..." or will the original 1802 do most (all) work
        brilliant >w/o the extra frills and laces?

        >I'd be hoping to grab some latches/decoders and buffers as well as IC
        >sockets for wiring, something I cannot find just like that here in
        Sweden >any longer.

        >/Magnus
      • Ray Sills
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 26 11:33 AM
          Hi Art:

          Hmmm. That suggests that you could put an 1805 or 1806 into a VIP.
          The VIP has an "OS" in ROM, which is invoked when you hold down the
          hexpad key "C" when switching to RUN mode. Now the question becomes,
          would those extra instructions really be useful on the VIP platform?

          73 de Ray

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 26 1:12 PM
            On 6/26/2010 2:14 AM, Magnus wrote:
            > Yo!
            >
            > I was looking for cheap (surplus) components at small components shop here in Sweden when I spotted lots of COSMAC chips in the list. OF COURSE there was the 1802, which I just bought on eBay ...but also 1805/6. The latter has some extra functions like internal timers/counters and extra instruxctions.
            > My question is, is there any idea to grab an 1805/06 instead of the 1802 "just in case ..." or will the original 1802 do most (all) work brilliant w/o the extra frills and laces?
            >
            > I'd be hoping to grab some latches/decoders and buffers as well as IC sockets for wiring, something I cannot find just like that here in Sweden any longer.

            The 1804/5/6 are slightly improved versions of the 1802. Depending on
            the particular model, they have internal ROM, RAM, a timer, and some new
            instructions. They were intended for single-chip microcontroller
            applications, where you ordered them with your program already in the
            internal ROM.

            Not much code was written to use the new instructions. The internal ROM
            is useless for general purpose applications; it is typically disabled so
            you can use it with external memory chips instead.

            The only thing missing in the 1804/5/6 that the 1802 has is the LOAD
            mode. Unfortunately, LOAD is used in the Elf computers for their front
            panel interface.

            I bought some 1805's on eBay for a good price. If you'd like to
            experiment, I'd be happy to swap one for an 1802.
          • Richard
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 29 12:04 PM
              Hello Magnus!

              Most of the 1800 series are a bit dated unless you want to build a computer completely 'retro'.

              Among those you mentioned there also is the CDP1851. This one is a dual parallel IO port. Both ports can be configured for input, output, bidirectional and bit mode. I have seen that similar devices have been used to build IDE interfaces or to read input from a PS/2 keyboard or mouse. This one may be quite interesting.