Re: [cosmacelf] Doc Files 2

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2003
      cdp1861 wrote:
      > Ooops -what did I do? ... I'm putting together a little development
      > system for the Elf. I'm thinking of integrating an essembler, chip8
      > programming, and the management of the projects into my Elf Tools.
      > To round things off, there also should be all kinds of Elf related
      > documentation so you can do some programming without having to look
      > up everything seperately.

      Nothing wrong. Your project sounds great! The way you are approaching it
      seems a bit odd, but then anyone working with the 1802 is by definition
      a bit odd :-)

      > That's why I need the files in rich text format...

      If you are doing this project for your own enjoyment, then by all means
      you should use whatever you like. It only has to work on your computer.

      But if you are doing it for other's benefit, then you need to take into
      account what others are using. They probably have different versions of
      Windows than you do, or are running Linux, or a Mac.

      My own experience with Microsoft products has been poor. They seem to
      change file formats every few years, so older versions of their products
      can't read the files produced by newer versions. You may find that your
      development package is trapped on a particular version of Windows.

      For text files, it appears that basic HTML has achieved a sort of
      cross-platform standardization (as long as you avoid using the
      enhancements promoted by Microsoft, Netscape, etc.). You might want to
      consider this format for your documentation. Almost anyone can provide
      source documents to you in this format (since it can be produced by any
      text editor). Failing that, *everyone* can produce plain old ASCII
      files. You can even get your submissions by cutting and pasting from
      emails already on the cosmacelf website and archives. Most 1802
      literature isn't going to have any graphs or pictures, anyway.

      For your programs themselves, I would suggest that you not get too
      carried away with a flashy interface. I'm a design engineer, and use
      various microcontrollers in my work. The development system software
      often looks beautiful in the demos, and works horribly in actual
      applications. It's slow, or crashes, or fails to properly emulate the
      target processor, or falsely reports problems that aren't there, or
      creates problems on its own. All too often, I have to find a version
      that is the least buggy, and stick with it regardless of further
      manufacturer "updates". In some cases, it's the oldest DOS version!
      --
      Lee A. Hart Ring the bells that still can ring
      814 8th Ave. N. Forget your perfect offering