Re: [cosmacelf] Re: Help for Paul

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 30, 2009
      From: etxmato <marcel.v.tongeren@...>
      >Thanks again for all the replies; sorry this is difficult for me to summarize as I
      >don't know the CP/M or SDS systems...

      The trouble with summarizing is that it leaves out things that the writer assumes that the reader already knows. That's what makes this problem so difficult -- it's like trying to tell someone how to replace a light bulb, but not realizing that the reader doesn't know that they unscrew!

      > Anyway this is what Paul answered/asks:
      >> Once he has a working SDS computer, and a working
      >> console using a PC, and a working CP/M operating system...
      > Where? The CPM in the SDS is working and the only way to command the 8" disks

      What I meant is that he needs to get to this point:
      - put the SDS computer on a desk
      - the 8" drives sitting on the desk next to it, and connected to the computer

      connected (via the 50pin flat cable),

      - AC line cord plugged into AC power, and the back of the SDS computer

      >> it should be very easy to transfer
      >> the files. The most straightforward way is to have the PC's terminal
      >> emulator save the data it receives to disk,
      >How do you do that?
      >
      >> and type the CP/M PIP
      >> command to send each file to the console with something like TYPE
      >> filename.doc.
      >I do not want to send the file to the emulator display. I do want to read the dir command and transfer the files to the host computer's hard drive. Is that possible??
      >
      >If we are using Procom what do I type into the emulator to send the data from drive D on the SDS computer to Drive G on the host emulator computer. This ONE statement is 99% of the issue The file type does not matter nor the file content. What matters is the file is not on a modern PC where it can be operated on. WordStar is a distraction in the effort just a different file that needs to be saved and cannot be a copy of what the terminal emulator might display.
      >
      >Help!??
      >Cheers, Marcel.

      Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the one who is
      doing it. -- Chinese proverb
      --
      Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart-at-earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 30, 2009
        From: etxmato <marcel.v.tongeren@...>
        >> Once he has a working SDS computer, and a working console using a PC,
        >> and a working CP/M operating system,
        > Where? the CPM in the SDS is working and the only way to command the 8" disks

        Sorry; something screwy happened. I'll try again. A "working SDS computer, and a working console using a PC, and a working CP/M operating system means:

        - SDS computer on the desk, plugged into AC power, and turned on.
        - 8" disk drives on the desk, also plugged into AC power, and turned on.
        - 8" drive cabinet connected to the SDS computer by the 50-pin ribbon cable connector.
        - "console" serial port RS-232 connector on the SDS computer connected by a cable to

        sing a PC as the >

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 31, 2009
            On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 1:52 PM, etxmato<marcel.v.tongeren@...> wrote:

            > Hi Again,
            >
            > Thanks again for all the replies; sorry this is difficult for me to
            > summarize as I don't know the CPM or SDS systems.....
            >
            > Anyway this is what Paul answered/asks:
            >
            >> Once he has a working SDS computer, and a working console using a PC,
            >> and a working CP/M operating system,
            > Where? the CPM in the SDS is working and the only way to command the 8"
            > disks
            >
            >> it should be very easy to transfer
            >> the files. The most straightforward way is to have the PC's terminal
            >> emulator save the data it receives to disk,
            > How do you do that?
            >
            >> and type the CP/M PIP
            >> command to send each file to the console with something like TYPE
            >> filename.doc.
            > I do not want to send the file to the emulator display. I do want to read
            > the dir command and transfer the files to the host computer's hard drive. Is
            > that possible??

            The PIP command Lee gave will send the original file to your LST:
            device, usually set to point to the printer port. If this is the case,
            connecting that port to the PC and having a program on the PC ready to
            receive the data will transfer the file as-is to the PC:

            PIP LST:=filename.ext

            others that may work if LST: does not:

            PIP LPT:=filename.ext
            PIP TTY:=filename.ext
            PIP PUN:=filename.ext

            Then the Wordstar file can be converted through a utility on the PC.
            These range from simple high-bit strippers to full converters to HTML
            and other formats. Check out wordstar.org.

            > If we are using Procom what do I type into the emulator to send the data
            > from drive D on the SDS computer to Drive G on the host emulator computer.
            > This ONE statement is 99% of the issue The file type does not matter nor the
            > file content. What matters is the file is not on a modern PC where it can be
            > operated on. WordStar is a distraction in the effort just a different file
            > that needs to be saved and cannot be a copy of what the terminal emulator
            > might display.

            If the PC running Procomm is in the host mode (use Alt-Q to put it in
            this mode), connect to it with the CP/M system. Then select UPLOAD off
            the Procomm host menu, and choose XModem transfer (retains all the
            Wordstar formatting info from the original file, unlike ASCII
            transfers.) The PC will then wait to receive the file.

            Then use your CP/M program's command to do an XModem upload. If you
            need assistance, let me know the CP/M program being used (MDM7.COM or
            whatever) and I can give specifics for it if I know them. It should
            request the filename and upload protocol. Then the CP/M system should
            contact the PC, and give messages on the transfer status until it is
            complete.

            F1 does setup on Procomm, if that is required beforehand.

            > Help!??
            > Cheers, Marcel.

            Good luck!

            -Mark