Hello

  • Daventhalas
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2002
      I just joined the group. I posted once in the old message boards and
      I am hoping to be more active here. I actually have never seen a
      real ELF in person, but I really enjoy using the emulator. I have
      been using it and a few other old computer emulators to teach me more
      about programming and assembly language.
    • Chris Wardell
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2004
        Hello All,

        I recently discovered this group and it gave me the urge to dig out
        my old ELF II, or more precisely, to retrieve it from the attic of
        my parents garage.

        I built it during the summer of 1980, between my 8th grade and
        freshman year. I added the Giant board that winter and over the
        next year or so added the color/sound board, 4k RAM, and ascii
        keyboard. A year or so later I added the Netronics Video Terminal
        and the Full Basic/Math coprocessor board.

        So far I've got the main board, giant board and color/sound board
        working. I thought the 4K RAM board was working but soon discovered
        that bit 5 of the 1K bank from 0x400 to 0x7FF is stuck high. So the
        hunt for a few 2102 chips has begun.

        Much to my suprise I've been able to recover the old tapes that I've
        tried so far, in fact I discovered the problem with the ram when I
        couldn't get "Animal Races" to execute after loading it.

        Once I get the ram fixed I'll try my Tiny Basic tape.

        I haven't attempted to recover the Full Basic board yet because I
        recall that I accidentally overwrote one of the eproms while
        modifying the board to allow me to use it as an eprom programmer.
        I plan to restore the board to it's original state before attempting
        to us it. If anyone has a copy of the Netronics Full Basic code I
        would like to hear from you.

        I also need to checkout the ascii keyboard / terminal, maybe I'll
        find the time in the next week or so.

        In relation to a few posts regarding the 1861 and more modern TV's,
        I also had to feed my video through a VCR to get it to work.

        I spent a LOT of time on the ELF back in the day and it's been a
        real blast getting it up and running again.

        Chris Wardell