Studio ii revisited

  • Wm Lindsay
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 11, 2009
      Hi all,
      I am in the midst of converting an RCa Studio II into something a bit more useful. I realize it won't be a VIP when I'm done, but conveniently my purpose is solely video output.

      A friend of mine mentioned that this Frankenstein approach to creating a 1802 based system was not unheard of, and remembered an article and Rom monitor program listing he got from ARESCO Publishing here near Philadelphia. (My friend built one as his first computer!)

      I've since searched out the author and ARESCO, and the document appears to be non-existent, excluding a bit of mention in a thread back in 2005 on this group! ARESCO was not found anywhere near the Philadelphia (Audubon, PA) area.

      Does anyone have a copy available of
      "CONVERTING THE RCA STUDIO II VIDEO GAME INTO A MICROCOMPUTER"
      or the Viper newsletter article Cheap Graphics Computer: Studio II (Volume I, issues 6,7,8).

      I am too far along to give up, having already sorted out a bad capacitor in the power run, moved the power away from the video modulator, and tapped & buffered good composite output. This is really a nicely designed little machine!

      Thanks for any help on list, or I can be contacted directly at
      wil at waitforvblank dot com

      And I understand from the archives that atleast one other person on this list has paddled down this stream... I'd love to hear those stories..
      Thanks so much!
      -Wil
    • Ray Sills
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 12, 2009
        HI Will:

        Well, yours truly was quite involved with the VIPER (back in the
        day).. and I have a fairly complete set of the VIPER issues. Sadly,.
        some are missing. But I am sure that I have all of Volume 1. There
        is a Yahoo Group for the RCA VIP (look for RCAcosmac). On that group
        site, several of the VIPER issues have been scanned and uploaded as
        PDF files. Eventually, I hope to post as many of the issues as are
        possible.

        And yes, the Studio II was a pretty nice machine, and as I recall, it
        was not especially difficult to get it to run CHIP-8 and associated
        applications. I never had a Studio II, so I don't recall if it had a
        cassette interface. It may be that RCA was expecting that users
        would only run games from cartridges, or something like that. But
        certainly, the Studio II had an 1802 CPU, and an 1861 video chip,
        plus RAM on board. Somewhere in VIPER, someone posted a commented
        version of the "OS".. in addition to CHIP-8 and it's variants.

        73 de Ray

        On Jun 12, 2009, at 12:18 AM, Wm Lindsay wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > I am in the midst of converting an RCa Studio II into something a
        > bit more useful. I realize it won't be a VIP when I'm done, but
        > conveniently my purpose is solely video output.
        >
        > A friend of mine mentioned that this Frankenstein approach to
        > creating a 1802 based system was not unheard of, and remembered an
        > article and Rom monitor program listing he got from ARESCO
        > Publishing here near Philadelphia. (My friend built one as his
        > first computer!)
        >
        > I've since searched out the author and ARESCO, and the document
        > appears to be non-existent, excluding a bit of mention in a thread
        > back in 2005 on this group! ARESCO was not found anywhere near the
        > Philadelphia (Audubon, PA) area.
        >
        > Does anyone have a copy available of
        > "CONVERTING THE RCA STUDIO II VIDEO GAME INTO A MICROCOMPUTER"
        > or the Viper newsletter article Cheap Graphics Computer: Studio II
        > (Volume I, issues 6,7,8).
        >
        > I am too far along to give up, having already sorted out a bad
        > capacitor in the power run, moved the power away from the video
        > modulator, and tapped & buffered good composite output. This is
        > really a nicely designed little machine!
        >
        > Thanks for any help on list, or I can be contacted directly at
        > wil at waitforvblank dot com
        >
        > And I understand from the archives that atleast one other person on
        > this list has paddled down this stream... I'd love to hear those
        > stories..
        > Thanks so much!
        > -Wil
        >

        > ------------------------------------

        > Visit the COSMAC ELF website at http://www.cosmacelf.comYahoo!
        > Groups Links

      • Wm Lindsay
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 12, 2009
          Thanks Ray!
          A pleasure to get to chat with you here. I'm pending membership to that group, hopefully the scraps I'm looking for are there! I'll stay on the list here as well. I'm quite excited anyone has an interest in this era of computing.
          -Wil
        • Wm Lindsay
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 13, 2009
            Whoop! Looks like they only have through issue 4 available in the other group, and the moderator is actively looking for the rest as well. Any other leads on the articles below or the Aresco publication?

            I'd still love to hear stories of other Studio ii conversions, as well!

            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Wm Lindsay" <rabb_5m@...> wrote:

            > I've since searched out the author and ARESCO, and the document appears to be non-existent, excluding a bit of mention in a thread back in 2005 on this group! ARESCO was not found anywhere near the Philadelphia (Audubon, PA) area.
            >
            > Does anyone have a copy available of
            > "CONVERTING THE RCA STUDIO II VIDEO GAME INTO A MICROCOMPUTER"
            > or the Viper newsletter article Cheap Graphics Computer: Studio II (Volume I, issues 6,7,8).
            >
            > Thanks for any help on list, or I can be contacted directly at
            > wil at waitforvblank dot com
            >
            > And I understand from the archives that atleast one other person on this list has paddled down this stream... I'd love to hear those stories..
            > Thanks so much!
            > -Wil

          • Andrew Wasson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 13, 2009
              I've got the article (photocopy).

              Unfortunately it is in storage for the next six months. It discusses a custom made cartridge that plugs in. You use the controllers as the HEX keypad.

              I know where it is but it will be some time until I dig it out. I too tried to find the author but had no luck.

              Andrew

              --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Wm Lindsay" <rabb_5m@...> wrote:

              > Whoop! Looks like they only have through issue 4 available in the other group, and the moderator is actively looking for the rest as well. Any other leads on the articles below or the Aresco publication?
              >
              > I'd still love to hear stories of other Studio ii conversions, as well!
              >
              > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Wm Lindsay" <rabb_5m@> wrote:
              >
              > > I've since searched out the author and ARESCO, and the document appears to be non-existent, excluding a bit of mention in a thread back in 2005 on this group! ARESCO was not found anywhere near the Philadelphia (Audubon, PA) area.
              > >
              > > Does anyone have a copy available of
              > > "CONVERTING THE RCA STUDIO II VIDEO GAME INTO A MICROCOMPUTER"
              > > or the Viper newsletter article Cheap Graphics Computer: Studio II (Volume I, issues 6,7,8).
              > >
              > > Thanks for any help on list, or I can be contacted directly at
              > > wil at waitforvblank dot com
              > >
              > > And I understand from the archives that atleast one other person on this list has paddled down this stream... I'd love to hear those stories..
              > > Thanks so much!
              > > -Wil

            • Wm Lindsay
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 15, 2009
                Thanks for the heads-up Andrew!
                If I'm still on the hunt in January, I'll try you again...
                I suspect that's the one my friend was describing from his teenage years. He mentioned left controller for 0-9 and right for A-F and control keys.

                I'll be curious to see if the 2 articles are the same of if one is a kit-promo for the other.
                -Wil

                --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Wasson" <andrew@...> wrote:

                > I've got the article (photocopy).
                >
                > Unfortunately it is in storage for the next six months. It discusses a custom made cartridge that plugs in. You use the controllers as the HEX keypad.
                >
                > I know where it is but it will be some time until I dig it out. I too tried to find the author but had no luck.
                >
                > Andrew
                >
                > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Wm Lindsay" <rabb_5m@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Whoop! Looks like they only have through issue 4 available in the other group, and the moderator is actively looking for the rest as well. Any other leads on the articles below or the Aresco publication?
                > >
                > > I'd still love to hear stories of other Studio ii conversions, as well!
                > >
                > > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Wm Lindsay" <rabb_5m@> wrote:
                > >
                > > > I've since searched out the author and ARESCO, and the document appears to be non-existent, excluding a bit of mention in a thread back in 2005 on this group! ARESCO was not found anywhere near the Philadelphia (Audubon, PA) area.
                > > >
                > > > Does anyone have a copy available of
                > > > "CONVERTING THE RCA STUDIO II VIDEO GAME INTO A MICROCOMPUTER"
                > > > or the Viper newsletter article Cheap Graphics Computer: Studio II (Volume I, issues 6,7,8).
                > > >
                > > > Thanks for any help on list, or I can be contacted directly at
                > > > wil at waitforvblank dot com
                > > >
                > > > And I understand from the archives that atleast one other person on this list has paddled down this stream... I'd love to hear those stories..
                > > > Thanks so much!
                > > > -Wil

              • eight_bit_jdrose
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 13, 2012
                  That sounds like a fun project. I wish I knew about the 1802 when Radio Shack was liquidating Studio II consoles for $10. LOL. Although at under $100 today it might be a good platform to build into a complete computer. Just need a keyboard and storage interface. Already has video.

                  There are a couple of videos of people on YouTube doing a similar project.