Re: Update on Viking Lander 1802 firmware acquisition or rather lack of.

  • ptodddecker
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2009
      Also, there is this interesting comment on Wikipedia about the Saturn guidance software, "Unlike the Apollo Guidance Computer, the software which ran on the LVDC seems to have vanished. While the hardware would be fairly simple to emulate, the only remaining copies of the software are probably in the core memory of the Instrument Unit LVDCs of the remaining Saturn V rockets on display at NASA sites." I believe someone earlier indicated that software such as this might not be available due to national security interests. I would imagine that an rocket's (ICBM) guidance software would also be classified for the same reasons.

      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "ptodddecker" <ptdpublic@...> wrote:

      > It would be very interesting if we are someday able to gain as much understanding of the Viking Lander firmware and systems as we have of the history Apollo Guidance System.

      > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Mark Graybill <saundby@> wrote:
      > >
      > > On Apr 29, 2009, at 8:31 AM, Trevor Nunes wrote:
      > >

      > > > NSSDC Access Services said they contacted a scientist and couldn't
      > > > help me,
      > > > I've asked for further clarification hopefully from JPL directly i.e
      > > > yes or
      > > > no regarding firmware but at this point I think it's a dead end. One
      > > > last
      > > > chance at Honeywell but I'm not expecting much, If anyone knows
      > > > anyone at
      > > > JPL,Nasa,Honeywell help!
      > > >
      > > > I may venture down the AMSAT , Am1601, IPS approach.... It's pretty
      > > > sad
      > > > I'll bet the Viking firmware eventually just gets lost ...
      > > >
      > > > Trev.
      > > >

      > > Or is just sitting on a tape in some archive that never gets accessed,
      > > which can be as good as lost. I've poked a few people to see if they
      > > can come up with something, but such things tend not to happen
      > > quickly. I've been trying to see if anyone I know is at the Florida
      > > Honeywell plant these days, haven't turned up anyone yet but I'd be
      > > pretty surprised if I came up with totally dry. I'm still working my
      > > way hand-over-hand on that line.
      > >
      > > Dang IT jobs have drawn off a lot of folks I know. ;)
      > >
      > > -Mark

    • Trevor Nunes
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2009
        For those interested in the AGC simulation ... 40 year old software ;-)

        http://www.ibiblio.org/apollo/download.html
        AGC simulator, they managed to get a badly photocopied copy of the assembly
        and recompiled it for the AGC.