Hewlett Packard displays for the Elf

  • Robert Sheppard
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 26 11:00 AM
      Watching all the correspondence about HP displays, it occurred to me
      that somewhere I had a number tucked away since my Elf days in the
      late 1970's and early 1980's. When I found them, they proved to be
      TIL 311's, which I suppose are the same from another maker. There are
      six, all completely unused and available to a reasonable bidder.
      Returnable if found other than perfect. My Elf was built on plug in
      vero boards, and was steadily expanded until the 10-slot bus was full
      plus a Quest video card hanging on the side. Things began to go awry
      at this stage - nobody had told me about bus buffering and when I put
      an oscilloscope on the bus the signals looked pretty awful. Piggy
      backing some chips to buffer individual memory cards took care of
      that, but sad to say now, a little later I started again using the
      S100 bus.

      Delighted to find completely by chance that the the Elf and its
      successors are still alive and well. Have dusted down my own and am
      seriously thinking of attempting to boot it up, though I no longer
      have the small black and white TV that was used as a monitor. Revert
      to the two HP displays and the Q-light I suppose!

      Bob Sheppard
      bobsheppard@...
    • Andrew Wasson
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26 3:05 PM
        Hey Rob,
        Good to see another old-school ELF builder on the board. There are some pretty sharp minds on this board so I'm sure if you run into any trouble firing up your ELF after all these years, you'll find lots of support.

        Post some photos when you have a moment. I've still got a Quest Elf, an ELF2000 (plus the embedded ELF2000) but I still get a kick out of looking at photos of other systems. It's amazing that this little computer is still going strong (within our group) after all these years!

        Cheers,
        Andrew

        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Robert Sheppard <bobsheppard@...> wrote:

        > Watching all the correspondence about HP displays, it occurred to me
        > that somewhere I had a number tucked away since my Elf days in the
        > late 1970's and early 1980's. When I found them, they proved to be
        > TIL 311's, which I suppose are the same from another maker. There are
        > six, all completely unused and available to a reasonable bidder.
        > Returnable if found other than perfect. My Elf was built on plug in
        > vero boards, and was steadily expanded until the 10-slot bus was full
        > plus a Quest video card hanging on the side. Things began to go awry
        > at this stage - nobody had told me about bus buffering and when I put
        > an oscilloscope on the bus the signals looked pretty awful. Piggy
        > backing some chips to buffer individual memory cards took care of
        > that, but sad to say now, a little later I started again using the
        > S100 bus.
        >
        > Delighted to find completely by chance that the the Elf and its
        > successors are still alive and well. Have dusted down my own and am
        > seriously thinking of attempting to boot it up, though I no longer
        > have the small black and white TV that was used as a monitor. Revert
        > to the two HP displays and the Q-light I suppose!
        >
        > Bob Sheppard
        > bobsheppard@...

      • Mark Graybill
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 26 3:08 PM
          On Mar 26, 2009, at 11:00 AM, Robert Sheppard wrote:

          > Watching all the correspondence about HP displays, it occurred to me
          > that somewhere I had a number tucked away since my Elf days in the
          > late 1970's and early 1980's. When I found them, they proved to be
          > TIL 311's, which I suppose are the same from another maker. There are
          > six, all completely unused and available to a reasonable bidder.
          > Returnable if found other than perfect. My Elf was built on plug in
          > vero boards, and was steadily expanded until the 10-slot bus was full
          > plus a Quest video card hanging on the side. Things began to go awry
          > at this stage - nobody had told me about bus buffering and when I put
          > an oscilloscope on the bus the signals looked pretty awful. Piggy
          > backing some chips to buffer individual memory cards took care of
          > that, but sad to say now, a little later I started again using the
          > S100 bus.
          >
          > Delighted to find completely by chance that the the Elf and its
          > successors are still alive and well. Have dusted down my own and am
          > seriously thinking of attempting to boot it up, though I no longer
          > have the small black and white TV that was used as a monitor. Revert
          > to the two HP displays and the Q-light I suppose!
          >
          > Bob Sheppard
          > bobsheppard@...

          The TIL-311s are a different part from the HP hex display, but they
          behave similarly. The datasheets for each are located in the group's
          file section.

          For most people, the HP displays have a slight edge on "cool factor"
          over the TI displays, plus, the HPs were used in the original Elf
          project. I find the HPs a bit easier to read. But the TIs are easier
          to lay out on a PC board, in my experience, thanks to the fact they
          don't run "crosswise" like the HP displays.

          At any rate, both make great Elf displays. I've used both, as well as
          my little AVR circuit I posted a link to earlier, and another AVR
          circuit I need to get around to posting to AVRFreaks that uses an
          ATMega8 to drive a dual 14-segment display (my favorite display for
          Hex, even over dot matrix displays). I've also used 7 segment and 14
          segment displays with diode arrays to select segments tied to 1-of-8
          and 1-of-16 selectors.

          Mark Graybill

          http://www.geocities.com/atari7800mod/ -hook your 20th century
          Atari up to your TV,
          or
          give your 7800 S-Video output
          http://catsonkeyboards.blogspot.com/ -my programming and
          teaching blog
          http://beginwithjava.blogspot.com/ -my Java for
          Beginning Programmers blog
        • Robert DiPippo, k1wyc
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 27 5:56 AM
            Andrew and all other ELF users. Although the previous message was not directed to me, I though I would put in my 2 cents worth. My ELFII booted up with no problem. I had not used it since 1987. I had to repair 2 of the memory boards and now have a wopping 48K of memory and a 16K ROM board running. I had purchase just about every board that Netronics had offered at the time. I also have the Quest expansion boaard. I will send pictures of my home made case and everything else. I also have alot of software.

            I used the ELFII for all my college papers and at the time to learn programming, and I still have them on tape. I will be transfering them to CD to keep them safe.

            For the record my major is Computer Science and Electronic Technology. I am a retired education at a local Technical HS and the local Community College. Been in the electronic field since 1958 and education since 1972. I have enjoyed every minute of it.

            Thanks

            Bob
            Good to see another old-school ELF builder on the board. There are some pretty sharp minds on this board so I'm sure if you run into any trouble firing up your ELF after all these years, you'll find lots of support.

            Post some photos when you have a moment. I've still got a Quest Elf, an ELF2000 (plus the embedded ELF2000) but I still get a kick out of looking at photos of other systems. It's amazing that this little computer is still going strong (within our group) after all these years!

            Cheers,
            Andrew

            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Robert Sheppard <bobsheppard@...> wrote:

            > Watching all the correspondence about HP displays, it occurred to me
            > that somewhere I had a number tucked away since my Elf days in the
            > late 1970's and early 1980's. When I found them, they proved to be
            > TIL 311's, which I suppose are the same from another maker. There are
            > six, all completely unused and available to a reasonable bidder.
            > Returnable if found other than perfect. My Elf was built on plug in
            > vero boards, and was steadily expanded until the 10-slot bus was full
            > plus a Quest video card hanging on the side. Things began to go awry
            > at this stage - nobody had told me about bus buffering and when I put
            > an oscilloscope on the bus the signals looked pretty awful. Piggy
            > backing some chips to buffer individual memory cards took care of
            > that, but sad to say now, a little later I started again using the
            > S100 bus.
            >
            > Delighted to find completely by chance that the the Elf and its
            > successors are still alive and well. Have dusted down my own and am
            > seriously thinking of attempting to boot it up, though I no longer
            > have the small black and white TV that was used as a monitor. Revert
            > to the two HP displays and the Q-light I suppose!
            >
            > Bob Sheppard
            > bobsheppard@...

          • Andrew Wasson
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 27 12:21 PM
              --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Robert DiPippo, k1wyc" <bobk1wyc@...> wrote:

              > Andrew and all other ELF users. Although the previous message was not directed to me, I though I would put in my 2 cents worth. My ELFII booted up with no problem. I had not used it since 1987. I had to repair 2 of the memory boards and now have a wopping 48K of memory and a 16K ROM board running. I had purchase just about every board that Netronics had offered at the time. I also have the Quest expansion boaard. I will send pictures of my home made case and everything else. I also have alot of software.
              >
              > I used the ELFII for all my college papers and at the time to learn programming, and I still have them on tape. I will be transfering them to CD to keep them safe.
              >
              > For the record my major is Computer Science and Electronic Technology. I am a retired education at a local Technical HS and the local Community College. Been in the electronic field since 1958 and education since 1972. I have enjoyed every minute of it.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Bob

              Nice to hear from you Bob.

              Holy smokes 48k of Ram on an ELFII... I managed to get one 4k ram board for my ELFII and we had one at my highschool 1980 or so with a video card, 16K Ram (I think), ASCII keyboard and a modem for the BBS. Those were heady days talking to other like minded kids over the telephone lines with a keyboard and screen.