Re: [cosmacelf] Re: ebay alternatives?

  • Chris Elmquist
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 26, 2009
      On Monday (01/26/2009 at 05:10PM -0600), Dave Ruske wrote:

      > More
      > generic electronics sales or that old Altair box in your basement
      > might better be advertised elsewhere.

      Except, I'd probably snap up that Altair box in a heartbeat :-)

      Chris

      --
      Chris Elmquist
      mailto:chrise@...
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 26, 2009
        I wish I had held onto my Wirewrapped Altair and Cosmac ELF.  What made me build the Elf was the First Philadelphia Computer Music Festival LP.  Unfortunately, I listened to my wife at the time and got rid of the rack that held them, but I did hold on to the LP, which I still have.  Got to see some of it performed.  Hal Chamberlin, are you still around???

        On Monday (01/26/2009 at 05:10PM -0600), Dave Ruske wrote:

        > More
        > generic electronics sales or that old Altair box in your basement
        > might better be advertised elsewhere.

        Except, I'd probably snap up that Altair box in a heartbeat :-)

        Chris

        --
        Chris Elmquist
        mailto:chrise@pobox. com

      • J.C. Wren
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 27, 2009
          I was talking to one of the fellows on a local repeater, discovered he used
          to work at the Atlanta Computer Mart. He's got two IMSAIs and an Altair,
          likely some other stuff. We're planning on getting together and reliving
          the good old days when an OS and word processor ran in 64K.
          My collection consists of an IMSAI, two SOL-20's, several Otrona Attaches
          (w/ 8086 option card), a few Apples (early ones, ]['s & ][e's), and some
          1802 gear.

          I really need to fire up the old CP/M systems and make sure the big
          electrolytics and tantalum caps don't go *kerboom*.

        • didio4@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 27, 2009
            Ahhhhh, the good old days. I have an Imsai that was used at a printing company to manage all their printing runs, an Altair, Osborne, Osborne Executive, Kaypro II and IV, Commodore SX-64, and about a dozen COSMAC's of various types from different manufacturers including some I've built myself. All of them work very well. My wife thinks I'm crazy and going through a mid-life crisis, especially when she looks at my massive unbuilt Heathkit collection!
            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            <lb_tiger39208@...>wrote:

            > I wish I had held onto my Wirewrapped Altair and Cosmac ELF. What made me
            > build the Elf was the First Philadelphia Computer Music Festival LP.
            > Unfortunately, I listened to my wife at the time and got rid of the rack
            > that held them, but I did hold on to the LP, which I still have. Got to see
            > some of it performed. Hal Chamberlin, are you still around???

          • Ray Po
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 27, 2009
              I have been on this group for a number of years and am an avid 1802 junkie but I ocasionally run across things to part with or look for things. Ebay has become a PITA so I quit going there. This group has remained a very well disciplined and useful group and I want to keep it that way, thats why I asked for input. I am the one who, a few years back, ran across a pile of CDP1861s and let them go here for nearly cost rather than rape people for them on ebay. As much as I dislike ebay for that reason, I still occasionally need to find really odd things. I hope there is an emerging site for this kind of thing.

              Thanks to all....

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 27, 2009
                I've seen at least one obsolete tech. web site that was hobby oriented - not computer-oriented but more discrete and ssi components. have a look through the old geocities, google groups etc.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 27, 2009
                  The guys on the Classic Computing mailing list discuss this site often:

                  http://marketplace.vintage-computer.com/

                  I have not personally done any business there yet.

                  Chris

                  On Tuesday (01/27/2009 at 12:44PM -0500), Bill Rowe wrote:
                  > I've seen at least one obsolete tech. web site that was hobby oriented - not computer-oriented but more discrete and ssi components. have a look through the old geocities, google groups etc.

                  Chris Elmquist
                  mailto:chrise@...