Marcel von Tongeren's 1802 Emulator

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 22, 2008
      I have been trying to run the .comx files on the emulator and I've had
      no luck. I've read the corresponding help files but it doesn't make
      clear what I should be typing in. Every time I type LOAD I get ERR
      CODE 21. I've tried loading the .comx files through both Comx Basic
      1.0 and f&m basic and neither has worked. The .comx files I have tried
      load are the ones that come with the emulator. I've noticed that some
      of the files have spaces, is that the problem? Or am I typing into the
      wrong screen. I know next to nothing about the Comx or any other 1802
      based machine for that matter but I like to play around with emulators
      of old computer to give a feel of what the "good ol' days" were like.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks in advance,

      Ray
    • Marcel van Tongeren
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 22, 2008
        Hi Ray,

        Try the following:
        - Start the COMX emulator and press a key to start BASIC
        - Now you need to have an 'OK' or 'READY' prompt
        - Load the .comx via the 1802 emulator GUI; i.e. press the 'LOAD'
        button/select the file (you don't need to type anything in COMX BASIC)
        - Now it is loaded, just type 'RUN' in the COMX BASIC

        I suppose the .comx files are kind of a dirty implementation which I
        did to be able to quickly load/save files in a small format. As '.wav'
        files are so big and the PLOAD/PSAVE command on the comx is fairly slow
        as well. With the .comx format the emu just loads the code directly to
        the emulated machines memory; i.e. not a real emulation!

        The .comx files are in binary format; you could open them in any 'HEX'
        editor; the first few bytes just indicate start/end addresses which are
        loaded on BASIC system addresses.

        Let me know if you have any other questions! Don't forget to try
        out 'Happiehap' our own creation from almost 25 years ago...... I even
        made a quick English version in the 'Games' directory!

        Cheers, Marcel.

        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Ray" <daventhalas1@...> wrote:

        > I have been trying to run the .comx files on the emulator and I've had
        > no luck. I've read the corresponding help files but it doesn't make
        > clear what I should be typing in. Every time I type LOAD I get ERR
        > CODE 21. I've tried loading the .comx files through both Comx Basic
        > 1.0 and f&m basic and neither has worked. The .comx files I have tried
        > load are the ones that come with the emulator. I've noticed that some
        > of the files have spaces, is that the problem? Or am I typing into the
        > wrong screen. I know next to nothing about the Comx or any other 1802
        > based machine for that matter but I like to play around with emulators
        > of old computer to give a feel of what the "good ol' days" were like.
        > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Ray

      • James Tadlock
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 29, 2008
          Ray: What emulator are you trying to run. I quess the real question is what web site did the emulator come from?

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 30, 2008
            Hi Ray/James,

            My emulator can be
            downloaded via
            www.comxclub.
            hobby-site.com (just
            in case someone
            didn't know).
            Currently it
            supports COMX, Elf,
            VIP, Cidelsa, Studio
            II and some Telmac
            machines.

            I tried to give some
            help for Ray in my
            please let me know
            if things are still not
            clear. I will also
            have a look at my
            help files to see if I
            can clarify them for
            the next release.

            Cheers, Marcel.

            --- In
            cosmacelf@yahoogr
            oups.com, James
            Tadlock
            <jamesa4404@...>
            wrote:

            > Ray: What
            emulator are you
            trying to run. I
            quess the real
            question is what
            web site did the
            emulator come
            from?

          • Ray Jewhurst
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 30, 2008
              Sorry I didn't respond.  Your advice worked very well.  I guess I just wasn't paying attention to the buttons on the emulator.  But I do have one question:  what happened to the support to run Elf/OS?  I really enjoyed playing with it in previous versions

              Thanks,

              Ray

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 30, 2008
                Hi Ray,

                Sorry, I moved it.... the configurations are still there, but now under
                the menu 'File/configuration/Load Elf Configuration', also added
                a 'game' mode....

                Cheers, Marcel.

                --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Ray Jewhurst <daventhalas1@...> wrote:

                > Sorry I didn't respond.  Your advice worked very well.  I guess I
                just wasn't paying attention to the buttons on the emulator.  But I do
                have one question:  what happened to the support to run Elf/OS?  I
                really enjoyed playing with it in previous versions

                > Thanks,
                >
                > Ray

              • James Tadlock
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 31, 2008
                  I loaded the new emulator and I am having problems with it. I have tried to follow the directions below without much success. I did get something to run one time but most of the time I get a message that says File c:program files\1802 emulator\comx\F&M basic\*program name*.comx should be loaded in F&M Basic. If I answer OK the message go away as would be expected, but a RUN on the com-35 screen returns another OK prompt and nothing happens.

                  - Start the COMX emulator and press a key to start BASIC
                  - Now you need to have an 'OK' or 'READY' prompt
                  - Load the .comx via the 1802 emulator GUI; i.e. press the 'LOAD'
                  button/select the file (you don't need to type anything in COMX BASIC)
                  - Now it is loaded, just type 'RUN' in the COMX BASIC

                  I suppose the .comx files are kind of a dirty implementation which I
                  did to be able to quickly load/save files in a small format. As '.wav'
                  files are so big and the PLOAD/PSAVE command on the comx is fairly slow
                  as well. With the .comx format the emu just loads the code directly to
                  the emulated machines memory; i.e. not a real emulation!

                  The .comx files are in binary format; you could open them in any 'HEX'
                  editor; the first few bytes just indicate start/end addresses which are
                  loaded on BASIC system addresses.

                  Let me know if you have any other questions! Don't forget to try
                  out 'Happiehap' our own creation from almost 25 years ago...... I even
                  made a quick English version in the 'Games' directory!

                  Cheers, Marcel.

                  --- In cosmacelf@yahoogrou ps.com, "Ray" <daventhalas1@ ...> wrote:

                  > I have been trying to run the .comx files on the emulator and I've had
                  > no luck. I've read the corresponding help files but it doesn't make
                  > clear what I should be typing in. Every time I type LOAD I get ERR
                  > CODE 21. I've tried loading the .comx files through both Comx Basic
                  > 1.0 and f&m basic and neither has worked. The .comx files I have tried
                  > load are the ones that come with the emulator. I've noticed that some
                  > of the files have spaces, is that the problem? Or am I typing into the
                  > wrong screen. I know next to nothing about the Comx or any other 1802
                  > based machine for that matter but I like to play around with emulators
                  > of old computer to give a feel of what the "good ol' days" were like.
                  > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance,
                  >
                  > Ray

                • Ray Jewhurst
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 31, 2008
                    I've noticed that too with some of the programs but the majority that I loaded ran no problem. Try Marketing Game II that ran for me with no issues.

                    Thanks

                    Ray

                    From: Marcel van Tongeren <marcel.v.tongeren@ gmail.com>

                    To: cosmacelf@yahoogrou ps.com

                    Date: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 12:18 AM

                    Hi Ray,

                    Try the following:

                    - Start the COMX emulator and press a key to start BASIC

                    - Now you need to have an 'OK' or 'READY' prompt

                    - Load the .comx via the 1802 emulator GUI; i.e. press the 'LOAD'

                    button/select the file (you don't need to type anything in COMX BASIC)

                    - Now it is loaded, just type 'RUN' in the COMX BASIC

                    I suppose the .comx files are kind of a dirty implementation which I

                    did to be able to quickly load/save files in a small format. As '.wav'

                    files are so big and the PLOAD/PSAVE command on the comx is fairly slow

                    as well. With the .comx format the emu just loads the code directly to

                    the emulated machines memory; i.e. not a real emulation!

                    The .comx files are in binary format; you could open them in any 'HEX'

                    editor; the first few bytes just indicate start/end addresses which are

                    loaded on BASIC system addresses.

                    Let me know if you have any other questions! Don't forget to try

                    out 'Happiehap' our own creation from almost 25 years ago...... I even

                    made a quick English version in the 'Games' directory!

                    Cheers, Marcel.

                    --- In cosmacelf@yahoogrou ps.com, "Ray" <daventhalas1@ ...> wrote:

                    > I have been trying to run the .comx files on the emulator and I've had

                    > no luck. I've read the corresponding help files but it doesn't make

                    > clear what I should be typing in. Every time I type LOAD I get ERR

                    > CODE 21. I've tried loading the .comx files through both Comx Basic

                    > 1.0 and f&m basic and neither has worked. The .comx files I have tried

                    > load are the ones that come with the emulator. I've noticed that some

                    > of the files have spaces, is that the problem? Or am I typing into the

                    > wrong screen. I know next to nothing about the Comx or any other 1802

                    > based machine for that matter but I like to play around with emulators

                    > of old computer to give a feel of what the "good ol' days" were like.

                    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

                    > Thanks in advance,

                    > Ray

                  • Marcel van Tongeren
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 31, 2008
                      Hi Guys,

                      Great that your are testing my emu!

                      The behavior below is as I designed it.....

                      The thing is that all software in the F&M Basic folder should only be
                      loaded in F&M Basic 2.0. Which is not the F&M Basic that is included
                      in the expansion rom..... I realize this is a bit confusing....

                      So to run the software in the F&M Basic folder, first load 'F&M
                      Basic.comx', then type RUN. Now you are in 'F&M Basic 2.0', again use
                      LOAD on the GUI and load one of the other files in the folder. That
                      should work,don't expect too much from these, quite simple Basic SW, I
                      think most made as examples....

                      Anyway just forget about the F&M Basic folder, look at the some good
                      stuff:
                      - Happiehap 2 (in games folder)
                      - Tennismania (in games folder)
                      - Hit and Run (in games folder)
                      - Get Your Gadget (in Spellen folder)
                      - Eet een wurm (in Spellen folder)
                      - Boulderdash (in Spellen folder)

                      Well good stuff.... some of these were quite an achievement on the
                      limited COMX machine! We were always impressed by the GYG game and I
                      was impressed to see only last year there was an actual Boulderdash
                      designed for the COMX!

                      Some is in Dutch (Spellen folder) but I guess playable anyway....
                      The games should NOT be loaded via F&M Basic....

                      If you have any other problems let me know. You can also find my
                      direct email address in the about window.

                      Cheers, Marcel.

                      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Ray Jewhurst <daventhalas1@...> wrote:

                      > I've noticed that too with some of the programs but the majority
                      that I loaded ran no problem. Try Marketing Game II that ran for me
                      with no issues.

                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > Ray
                      >

                      > I loaded the new emulator and I am having problems with
                      it. I have tried to follow the directions below without much success.
                      I did get something to run one time but most of the time I get a
                      message that says File c:program files\1802 emulator\comx\ F&M
                      basic\*program name*.comx should be loaded in F&M Basic. If I answer
                      OK the message go away as would be expected, but a RUN on the com-35
                      screen returns another OK prompt and nothing happens.

                    • jamesa4404
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 10, 2008
                        Hi Marcel: The "dumb bug" is still chewing on me, so I still need a
                        some help with the emulator. Here is are a few more questions and
                        comments.
                        1. What are the basic machine and memory requirements? It seems to
                        work on my new Dell Laptop but bogs down to doing nothing on my older
                        Pentium 3 desktop.
                        2. I love the debugger and have some of it figure out. I like using
                        assembler and then doing the disassemble. I am getting pretty good at
                        converting machine code back to assembler, then dis-assembling and
                        and checking the results. Most of the time I'm right on. It's a great
                        way to learn assemler because I have a lot of machine code examples
                        to work with. Machine code is hard to figure out but by converting it
                        back to assembler it makes it easer to understand what's going on.
                        3. Now the "big dumb bug" question. How do I get the debugger results
                        to run on a Simulated Elf? I have figured out that you pick an Elf,
                        start it, switch to debugger tab, create your program. But how do you
                        get it to run on the "Simulated Elf" Trace show all kind of stuff
                        going on, but go back to the Elf tab the "Simulated Elf" is doing
                        nothing but setting there with the run swich on. It seems to me that
                        you should see some action on the Hex Leds.
                        4. Is there any way to get the Hex Leds on the Elfs bigger? I have a
                        hard time seeing them. Same story on the Q Led.

                        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Marcel van Tongeren"

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 11, 2008
                          Hi James!

                          Some answers:
                          1. I'm not sure on which machines the emulator runs, I do know that
                          it will have problems on slower machines. I tried to optimize the
                          code (specially the video handling) but as I'm using wxWidgets and
                          C++ I think it just needs a powerfull machine. I might switch video
                          handling to SDL eventually and leave the GUI stuff in wxWidgets but
                          that is a long term plan! Also be sure to switch of 'Debugging mode'
                          when you run it on a slower machine, as that will slow it down even
                          more.

                          2. Yeah the debugger is handy; based on Mike's debugger! Funny, for
                          me it is easier to read/write code in HEX format! We never used an
                          assembler in the 'old' COMX days. We knew all codes as the 1802 HEX
                          code was very easy to learn.... compared to Z80 or others!

                          3. The debugger always shows the current running machine. So if you
                          start an Elf machine and then switch to the debugger you see the code
                          for the running Elf. Now the Elf might already be running something
                          if the 'RUN' switch is up, that is the TRACE you see. This is default
                          behaviour if you start the Elf with a 'Boot address' filled in; the
                          Elf will start execution at that address. To start without Elf
                          execution leave the boot address empty. Then you can write your code
                          either in the debugger or Elf GUI and start as you start any program
                          on the Elf (depending on the Elf type, not sure of the Elf/2/Super
                          behaviour here, when you switch RUN up it starts at address 0 I
                          assume.....). You can also start the Elf execution with the debugger
                          by using the RUN button on the Debugger tab, just fill in the start
                          address next to the RUN button (the start address of your code)....
                          Note this should work, but I'm not sure if I ever tested that.....
                          Let me know if it doesn't work and I will test some stuff myself....

                          4. Not supported at the moment, I could look at that. I have based my
                          code and graphics for the Elfs on Mike's emulator; which I think is
                          as the original Elf was. I suppose I could make them bigger as they
                          are just xpm files; let me think about that.... Maybe a zoom on the
                          Elf window itself? or put the leds in a status bar like the COMX
                          emulator has?

                          Cheers, Marcel.