Re: [cosmacelf] Re: creating a cosmacelf simulator in C

  • Bill Rowe
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 4, 2008
      re the PIC version, if you look way back in the message archives to where we were talking about a "Membership Card" single board system, someone had built a tiny replica with 1802 emulation on a chip - I forget the builder and the chip type but I thought it was wonderfully cute.
      From: ted_rossin <ted_rossin@...>
      To: cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, October 3, 2008, 11:30 AM

      I just uploaded the source code to my Elf emulator in the

      Files/Simulators folder (TedsElf.zip) . It is in C++ but should give

      you some hints on how to proceed. The source is for a Visual Studio

      project. The real meat is in 1802.cpp and 1802.h. You can find

      programs that will run and instuctions on my web site:

      http://www.geocitie s.com/ted_ rossin/Electroni cs/RCA/RCA. html

      One problem with many of the 1802 emulators that I tried is that

      they are not coded up for real-time operation. They tend to run as

      fast as they can which tends to be much faster than the real machine

      and varies based on processor speed. I use Windows timers to step

      my emulator at a periodic rate (I think every 50ms) for a tunable

      number of steps. This keeps the simulator speed constant across

      multiple machines. I don't have it perfectly tuned up but it does

      run within 10% of my real Elf system.

      The point I'm trying to make is to not make your emulator a giant

      while loop but instead write it such that it is a subroutine that

      maintains the state of the machine so that it can be called once per

      unit of activity. For example, you could model all the machine

      states and call the subroutine once per clock cycle. I choose to do

      it once per instruction but I maintain state as to the number of

      machine cycles executed (2 or 3 per instruction) . Machine cycles

      are 8 clock cycles.

      This also allows you to hook up devices to your emulator such as

      LEDs, keyboards or 1861 video chips.

      Good luck and have fun. I enjoyed the process and am now able to

      develope code for my 1.6 MHz Elf on a 3.0 GHz PC.

      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogrou ps.com, akshay parelkar <va7aax@...> wrote:

      > Hi Fans of Cosmac Elfs,

      > I recently discovered this fancy little computer while searchig on

      the web. I dont have a Real Cosmac Elf yet(Have digital ones

      though).

      > Lately, I have been thinking about writing up my own code (in C)

      to simulate the Cosmac elf. I dont expect this project to compete

      with the ones already available, just something with which I can

      undertand more about the 1802 itself and improve and exercise my own

      (rather limited) knowledge of C.

      > Can somebody give some suggestions as to how and where I

      can/should start?

      > Also, another idea rolling in my mind is, Would it be possible to

      build a replica Cosmac Elf based on a PIC or has anyone already done

      this?

      > Thanks,

      > Long live cosmac elfs!

    • Andrew Wasson
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 4, 2008
        That's right Bill.
        If I remember correctly it was Kevin Timmerman who created the Pic
        1802. I used to have the ASM listing for it. I thought it was a really
        neat idea.

        Andrew

        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Rowe" <bill_rowe@...> wrote:

        > re the PIC version, if you look way back in the message archives to
        where we were talking about a "Membership Card" single board system,
        someone had built a tiny replica with 1802 emulation on a chip - I
        forget the builder and the chip type but I thought it was wonderfully
        cute.

        03/10/2008 8:18 AM

      • J.C. Wren
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 4, 2008
          http://www.compendiumarcana.com/CDP1802/PIC1802.asm
          Not sure of the currency of it, but Google found it.

          --jc

        • Andrew Wasson
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 4, 2008
            That looks like it!
            Gotta love the Google.

            If Kevin's around maybe he can shed some light on what to do and what
            not to do when embarking on a project like this.

            Andrew

            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "J.C. Wren" <jcwren@...> wrote:

            > http://www.compendiumarcana.com/CDP1802/PIC1802.asm
            > Not sure of the currency of it, but Google found it.
            >
            > --jc
            >
            > On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 11:57 AM, Andrew Wasson <andrew@...>wrote:
            >
            > > That's right Bill.
            > > If I remember correctly it was Kevin Timmerman who created the Pic
            > > 1802. I used to have the ASM listing for it. I thought it was a really
            > > neat idea.
            > >
            > > Andrew
            > >

            > > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Rowe" <bill_rowe@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > re the PIC version, if you look way back in the message archives to
            > > where we were talking about a "Membership Card" single board system,
            > > someone had built a tiny replica with 1802 emulation on a chip - I
            > > forget the builder and the chip type but I thought it was wonderfully
            > > cute.

          • Bill Rowe
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 4, 2008
              That's it and there's a wonderful picture of it with switches and lights.
              http://www.compendiumarcana.com/CDP1802/CC1802.PNG

              I've fallen in love with the arduino which uses the AVR microcomputers instead of the PICs but they offer the same kind of wonderful compactness.
              Not sure of the currency of it, but Google found it.

              --jc

              On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 11:57 AM, Andrew Wasson <andrew@...>wrote:

              > That's right Bill.
              > If I remember correctly it was Kevin Timmerman who created the Pic
              > 1802. I used to have the ASM listing for it. I thought it was a really
              > neat idea.
              >
              > Andrew
              >

              > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Rowe" <bill_rowe@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > re the PIC version, if you look way back in the message archives to
              > where we were talking about a "Membership Card" single board system,
              > someone had built a tiny replica with 1802 emulation on a chip - I
              > forget the builder and the chip type but I thought it was wonderfully
              > cute.

            • J.C. Wren
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 4, 2008
                Color me confused, but I can't understand the appeal of the Arduino. Other
                than some canned libraries, and some pre-made PCBs, what exactly do they
                have to offer that I can't do with some simple C code anyway? And this bit
                about "sketches" and "shields"... We've been calling them "programs" and
                "daughter cards" for the last 40+ years. Why do we need some new words for
                this?
                --jc

              • Andrew Wasson
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 4, 2008
                  I haven't played with the Arduino myself but I'm impressed with the
                  following it has generated. Some really neat things have been created
                  with them. Other than that, I'm a fan of the Ubicom SX Chips...

                  They can be run in Pic mode if need be or they can run in their native
                  turbo mode which is several times faster. I've only used them with ASM
                  code but I believe you can program them in a variant of C.

                • Robert L. Doerr
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 4, 2008
                    Andrew Wasson wrote:
                    > I haven't played with the Arduino myself but I'm impressed with the
                    > following it has generated. Some really neat things have been created
                    > with them. Other than that, I'm a fan of the Ubicom SX Chips...
                    >
                    > They can be run in Pic mode if need be or they can run in their native
                    > turbo mode which is several times faster. I've only used them with ASM
                    > code but I believe you can program them in a variant of C.

                    Hello Andrew,

                    Not meaning to get too far off topic but those SX chips are pretty
                    slick. Parallax is the distributor for all those chips now and they are
                    very handy for a lot of projects. They have a free BASIC compiler out
                    for that chip called SX/B and it works great. Used it for a few
                    projects I had in SERVO magazine. I would expect that the SX48 could be
                    used to emulate an 1802 using the 1802 PIC code that is already out
                    there as a starting point. Nice thing about the SX48 is that it has
                    lots of I/O and is a fast chip. I've got a kit that puts in in a 40-pin
                    form factor perfect for a breadboard. Be interesting to see if it could
                    work in place of an 1802 with the emulation code and an adapter to make
                    it fit the 1802 pinout. In case you are curious the full kit
                    w/instructions is right around $30.

                    http://www.robotworkshop.com/robotworkshop/projects/DSCF0037.JPG

                    Best Regards,

                    Robert
                  • akshay parelkar
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 4, 2008
                      Thanks to everybody for providing answers to my questions.
                      Some very nice stuff about the PIC1802, too

                      Thanks to everybody