Hello from new member

  • Raymond Sills
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2008
      Hi Group:

      I recently found out about this group from another member (thanks, Matt) and thought it
      would be interesting to join and see what's happening in 1802 land these days.

      My main interest is in the RCA VIP, Back in the late 70's I subscribed to VIPER, a newsletter
      dedicated to the VIP. After it ceased publication following a 2 year run, I managed to form
      a non-profit club to continue publishing the newsletter. I got a lot of help from Tom
      Swan and Terry Landerau from VIPER, including quite a few unpublished articles. Those
      articles became the stock of material for the new VIPER, along with new submissions. Of
      course, once RCA decided to cease production of the VIP and decided the VIP-II was not
      coming to market, the fate of the VIP was sealed. The group (VIPHCA) carried on for a
      while, but eventually it disbanded, since so many members had found new interests.

      Now, in a look back at computer history, some people are interested in these early
      machines and enjoy using them. No flashy features in these antiques, but just like people
      restore old cars, it's a lot of fun to use them and enjoy the ability to understand both the
      hardware and the software of these "primitive" machines.

      I have several VIP machines, and at least one of them is still functional. The others may be
      as well; I just haven't checked them as yet. As Matt Mikolay has already mentioned to this
      group, there is a new group for the RCA VIP (rcacosmac) and if there are members here
      who were a part of VIPHCA or the old VIPER and feel the urge to revisit those days, go
      check out the group, and hopefully, join in.

      73 de Ray