Assemblers and Cross Assemblers for PC/ELF?

  • josephjohnblackburn
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2008
      I recently got my Elf2K up and running. I'm curious what people are
      using to assemble and transfer their programs to the elf.

      I was used to Crossbow for the MAC, but I currently only have a PC
      laptop here, so I need to find equivalent functionality for that.

      Here's the thing - I know there are lots of DOS-based assemblers and
      cross-assemblers for the PC. I even remember some of them from way back
      when I built my own PC.

      But I am looking for something a little more GUI, full-featured,
      windows-based.

      Is there such a thing that supports the 1802, or are we pretty much
      stuck with old text-based stuff or writing our own?
    • randy129
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2008
        --- "josephjohnblackburn" <joe4227@...> wrote:

        > I recently got my Elf2K up and running. I'm curious what people are
        > using to assemble and transfer their programs to the elf.

        Back in July I used Mike Riley's rcasm to assemble both
        tinybasic, and idiot4. I had to adjust the syntax a bit,
        but I ended up with identical hex code to that posted at
        http://www.cosmacelf.com/software.htm

        I was gonna try to get tinybasic running on an Atmel
        Butterfly with 1802 emulator, but I got sidetracked
        from that idea.

        By the way, I'd like to say "thanks!!!" to Mike Riley for
        making rcasm available!

        <snip>
        > But I am looking for something a little more GUI, full-featured,
        > windows-based.
        >
        > Is there such a thing that supports the 1802, or are we pretty much
        > stuck with old text-based stuff or writing our own?

        I use "Programmer's Notepad", and a makefile. I got used to
        using this setup from playing with winavr and the Butterfly.
        I just made a new makefile for 1802 that assembles with
        rcasm.

        Programmer's Notepad is pretty much a generic IDE, or at
        least it fits my idea of IDE. It can run external tools,
        such as make, or a .bat file, or even the assembler
        directly, I suppose. If the assembler you use produces
        error messages with filename and line number, then it
        can even make the error messages "clickable", where the
        edit cursor moves to the error line when you click error msg.

        rcasm does not seem to emit errors with file/lineno, so this
        feature does not work with it. But I didn't find this to
        be important, as rcasm dislays the actual line, and it is not
        hard to find with editor. Probably would be quite easy to
        modify rcasm to emit the file/lineno, though. I would do it,
        but I am not familiar with what I would need to compile rcasm
        for windohs...

        Randy
      • josephjohnblackburn
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2008
          Thanks!

          sounds like a good place to start.

          Back when I used to work with mpu's and assembler, everything was
          pretty much green screen and text.

          One has gotten spoiled and dependant upon all this gui functionality.
          I use colours to highlight a lot.

          I looked at Avocet and Cross-32, both commercial. Even though they
          are Windows products, they look a little dated (in comparison to my
          Visual Studio).

          I will look at NotePad. I suppose I could also do something quite
          similar in VS as it calls out to external products as well, and I
          would at least have a familiar frame and editor.

          I thought I might try TASM as well.

          If time allows, I may pull up from the bootstraps and after looking
          at the others, write a VS windows assembler of my own. I used to this
          sort thing before I got preoccupied with SOA implementation.
        • ted_rossin
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2008
            If you want to get crazy, you could try my C compiler and assembler
            available here:

            http://www.geocities.com/ted_rossin/Electronics/RCA/RCA.html

            The compiler generates pretty crummy code but there are some things
            that can be done with it. I've improved the code generator a bit and
            have fixed some bugs but I have not posted an update as there seems
            to be limited interest in writing C code.

            Ted

            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "josephjohnblackburn"
            <joe4227@...> wrote:

            > I recently got my Elf2K up and running. I'm curious what people
            are
            > using to assemble and transfer their programs to the elf.
            >
            > I was used to Crossbow for the MAC, but I currently only have a PC
            > laptop here, so I need to find equivalent functionality for that.
            >
            > Here's the thing - I know there are lots of DOS-based assemblers
            and
            > cross-assemblers for the PC. I even remember some of them from way
            back
            > when I built my own PC.
            >
            > But I am looking for something a little more GUI, full-featured,
            > windows-based.
            >
            > Is there such a thing that supports the 1802, or are we pretty
            much
            > stuck with old text-based stuff or writing our own?

          • J.C. Wren
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5, 2008
              I don't think it's so much a lack of interest as it was waiting for it to
              stabilize. While small projects compiled and ran OK, anything of any
              complexity seemed to have some rough edges. I think most people were
              treating it still as an "alpha" release.

              It would be great to see a solid C compiler that produced reasonable code
              (such as one can on an 1802).

              --jc

              On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 1:42 PM, ted_rossin <ted_rossin@...> wrote:

              > If you want to get crazy, you could try my C compiler and assembler
              > available here:
              >
              > http://www.geocities.com/ted_rossin/Electronics/RCA/RCA.html
              >
              > The compiler generates pretty crummy code but there are some things
              > that can be done with it. I've improved the code generator a bit and
              > have fixed some bugs but I have not posted an update as there seems
              > to be limited interest in writing C code.
              >
              > Ted
              >
              > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "josephjohnblackburn"
              > <joe4227@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I recently got my Elf2K up and running. I'm curious what people
              > are
              > > using to assemble and transfer their programs to the elf.
              > >
              > > I was used to Crossbow for the MAC, but I currently only have a PC
              > > laptop here, so I need to find equivalent functionality for that.
              > >
              > > Here's the thing - I know there are lots of DOS-based assemblers
              > and
              > > cross-assemblers for the PC. I even remember some of them from way
              > back
              > > when I built my own PC.
              > >
              > > But I am looking for something a little more GUI, full-featured,
              > > windows-based.
              > >
              > > Is there such a thing that supports the 1802, or are we pretty
              > much
              > > stuck with old text-based stuff or writing our own?

              > Visit the COSMAC ELF website at http://www.cosmacelf.comYahoo! Groups
              > Links

            • rileym65
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 12, 2008

                > By the way, I'd like to say "thanks!!!" to Mike Riley for
                > making rcasm available!

                You are most welcome!!! I am glad that you found it useful.

                Mike