Re: ELF2K + DISK/UART/RTC -- unable to install Elf/OS - RESOLVED!

  • tlemense
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 15, 2008
      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "tlemense" <tlemense@...> wrote:
      [...snip...]
      > I'm absolutely stumped as to where to look next. I'd much appreciate
      > any help/suggestions that anyone can offer on getting Elf/OS to run on
      > my STG Elf 2K.

      Apparently, 'where to look next' was to look for a different CF card!
      The two cards that I had, would install but not boot Elf/OS. A
      different 32mB CF card, donated by a friend, would not only sail
      through the install but boot as well. My STG ELF2K is now up and
      running Elf/OS!

      Thanks to everyone for your time and posts!

      -tom
    • Kevin
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 16, 2008
        Quote:
        > Where I'm stuck now, though, is that I cannot seem to Boot Elf/OS; it
        > just hangs. I've tried using menu option #5 of the Elf/OS loader
        > (5==boot Elf/OS) as well as issuing the BOOT command after a cold
        > reset; both yield the same result. I see the "Booting primary IDE"
        > message, but nothing more. I've let the Elf2K sit there for an hour
        > in this condition, just in case it was "thinking", but no luck.

        I had a similar problem of not being able to boot the OS after it was
        installed. If I remember correctly, I fixed it by removing the chip that
        controls the battery backup for the ram. Even though it seemed to be
        working properly, I always had a problem when it was installed; I think
        I tried two these chips). If you have that option installed, try
        removing the chip and battery, and put in the jumpers as described in
        the Elf manual.

        Kevin
      • Allison Parent
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 17, 2008
          Had the same problem.

          Apparently if you have battery backup the state of the ram may
          be incorrect for a clean startup. However if you get to an
          acceptable state it then works. If your running elfos you
          really don't need battery backed ram that's what the CF is for. ;)

          Allison

          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Kevin <kjsisson@...> wrote:

          > Quote:
          > > Where I'm stuck now, though, is that I cannot seem to Boot Elf/OS; it
          > > just hangs. I've tried using menu option #5 of the Elf/OS loader
          > > (5==boot Elf/OS) as well as issuing the BOOT command after a cold
          > > reset; both yield the same result. I see the "Booting primary IDE"
          > > message, but nothing more. I've let the Elf2K sit there for an hour
          > > in this condition, just in case it was "thinking", but no luck.
          >

          > I had a similar problem of not being able to boot the OS after it was
          > installed. If I remember correctly, I fixed it by removing the chip
          that
          > controls the battery backup for the ram. Even though it seemed to be
          > working properly, I always had a problem when it was installed; I think
          > I tried two these chips). If you have that option installed, try
          > removing the chip and battery, and put in the jumpers as described in
          > the Elf manual.
          >
          > Kevin

        • Bob Armstrong
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 17, 2008
            >had the same problem.

            The mistake most people make is to use the DS1221 chip without a battery
            installed. If you do that, you have to be sure to ground the battery
            terminal - the DS1221 does not like having its battery input floating. It's
            in the Elf2K manual.

            Bob