Re: ELF2K + DISK/UART/RTC -- unable to install Elf/OS

  • tlemense
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 14, 2008
      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Armstrong" <bob@...> wrote:

      > >Thanks for your reply, Charlie. I took your advice and tried EXEC
      > >3000, but I was rewarded with a HEX dump.
      >
      > He has the right idea, but he means "CALL", not exec. "RUN"
      starts the
      > target program with P=0; "CALL" executes a standard SCRT subroutine call
      > with P=3. I seem to remember that the ElfOS had a problem with this.
      >
      > BTW, RUN, CALL and EXAMINE are all in the manual.
      >
      > Bob

      Thanks for the reply, Bob.

      After reading some more in the manual, I discovered that CALL is the
      command that must be used to get the Elf/OS loader to execute -
      Charlie did indeed have the right idea to not use RUN, and CALL seemed
      to do the trick.

      I'm to the point now where I've got a CF card recognized by the BIOS
      when it boots, I can upload the STG ELF2K version of Elf/OS, and even
      format the CF (1), put a filesystem on it (2), put the kernel on it
      (3), and install all the binaries (4). All those seem to work fine.

      Where I'm stuck now, though, is that I cannot seem to Boot Elf/OS; it
      just hangs. I've tried using menu option #5 of the Elf/OS loader
      (5==boot Elf/OS) as well as issuing the BOOT command after a cold
      reset; both yield the same result. I see the "Booting primary IDE"
      message, but nothing more. I've let the Elf2K sit there for an hour
      in this condition, just in case it was "thinking", but no luck.

      I received and installed my 16C450 UART IC today, thinking that might
      have been the problem. No improvement.

      I've tried two different CF cards (32MB and 96MB) with the same
      results. I've tried reformatting them with both the Q[uick] as well
      as [F]ull (dreadfully slow!) format options prior to installation.

      I was reading the docs on Elf/OS and they indicated that the
      requirements for serial port were Q (TXD) and EF3 (RXD), whereas the
      ELF 2K uses Q and EF4 for the mainboard serial I/O. I tried running
      my Elf2K with the jumper set for EF3 instead of EF4 for RXD, but that
      had the result of the BIOS not being able to accept keystrokes.

      I'm absolutely stumped as to where to look next. I'd much appreciate
      any help/suggestions that anyone can offer on getting Elf/OS to run on
      my STG Elf 2K.

      -tom
    • tlemense
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 15, 2008
        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "tlemense" <tlemense@...> wrote:
        [...snip...]
        > I'm absolutely stumped as to where to look next. I'd much appreciate
        > any help/suggestions that anyone can offer on getting Elf/OS to run on
        > my STG Elf 2K.

        Apparently, 'where to look next' was to look for a different CF card!
        The two cards that I had, would install but not boot Elf/OS. A
        different 32mB CF card, donated by a friend, would not only sail
        through the install but boot as well. My STG ELF2K is now up and
        running Elf/OS!

        Thanks to everyone for your time and posts!

        -tom
      • Kevin
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 16, 2008
          Quote:
          > Where I'm stuck now, though, is that I cannot seem to Boot Elf/OS; it
          > just hangs. I've tried using menu option #5 of the Elf/OS loader
          > (5==boot Elf/OS) as well as issuing the BOOT command after a cold
          > reset; both yield the same result. I see the "Booting primary IDE"
          > message, but nothing more. I've let the Elf2K sit there for an hour
          > in this condition, just in case it was "thinking", but no luck.

          I had a similar problem of not being able to boot the OS after it was
          installed. If I remember correctly, I fixed it by removing the chip that
          controls the battery backup for the ram. Even though it seemed to be
          working properly, I always had a problem when it was installed; I think
          I tried two these chips). If you have that option installed, try
          removing the chip and battery, and put in the jumpers as described in
          the Elf manual.

          Kevin
        • Allison Parent
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 17, 2008
            Had the same problem.

            Apparently if you have battery backup the state of the ram may
            be incorrect for a clean startup. However if you get to an
            acceptable state it then works. If your running elfos you
            really don't need battery backed ram that's what the CF is for. ;)

            Allison

            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, Kevin <kjsisson@...> wrote:

            > Quote:
            > > Where I'm stuck now, though, is that I cannot seem to Boot Elf/OS; it
            > > just hangs. I've tried using menu option #5 of the Elf/OS loader
            > > (5==boot Elf/OS) as well as issuing the BOOT command after a cold
            > > reset; both yield the same result. I see the "Booting primary IDE"
            > > message, but nothing more. I've let the Elf2K sit there for an hour
            > > in this condition, just in case it was "thinking", but no luck.
            >

            > I had a similar problem of not being able to boot the OS after it was
            > installed. If I remember correctly, I fixed it by removing the chip
            that
            > controls the battery backup for the ram. Even though it seemed to be
            > working properly, I always had a problem when it was installed; I think
            > I tried two these chips). If you have that option installed, try
            > removing the chip and battery, and put in the jumpers as described in
            > the Elf manual.
            >
            > Kevin

          • Bob Armstrong
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 17, 2008
              >had the same problem.

              The mistake most people make is to use the DS1221 chip without a battery
              installed. If you do that, you have to be sure to ground the battery
              terminal - the DS1221 does not like having its battery input floating. It's
              in the Elf2K manual.

              Bob