Re: [cosmacelf] Re: Howdy!

  • john seco
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
      Andrew Wasson wrote:
      > Hey John,
      >
      > I emailed you a link to a scan of the manual but your yahoo address doesn't seem to work. It's a big file 18MB. Send me an email and I'll forward it to you.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Andrew

      Hi Andrew

      The link worked and now I have the assembly manual. Thank you very
      much. I will have my Elf powered up this evening. That will be worth a
      picture or two.

      You mentioned Paul , Messenger is it?. Thanks for telling me all that,
      BTW. If you still have his email address, I'd like to get it and write
      him. Hopefully he's relaxed a bit and would be amenable to getting me a
      copy of the docs. At least we could discuss options.

      Regards,

      John Good

    • Andrew Wasson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
        Hi John,
        Glad to hear your SE will be up and going tonight.
        I'll contact you offline re: the rest.

        Cheers,
        Andrew

        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, john seco <secosemillon@...> wrote:

        > Andrew Wasson wrote:
        > > Hey John,
        > >
        > > I emailed you a link to a scan of the manual but your yahoo
        address doesn't seem to work. It's a big file 18MB. Send me an email
        and I'll forward it to you.

        > > Cheers,
        > > Andrew
        > >
        > Hi Andrew
        >
        > The link worked and now I have the assembly manual. Thank you very
        > much. I will have my Elf powered up this evening. That will be
        worth a
        > picture or two.
        >
        > You mentioned Paul , Messenger is it?. Thanks for telling me all that,
        > BTW. If you still have his email address, I'd like to get it and write
        > him. Hopefully he's relaxed a bit and would be amenable to getting
        me a
        > copy of the docs. At least we could discuss options.
        >
        > Regards,
        >

        > John Good

      • john seco
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
          At least some things light up, but it has a way to go before it
          functions properly.

          And the keys definitely aren't that color.

        • Andrew Wasson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
            Keep plugging away.

            Several years ago I had one that worked somewhat intermittently and I
            found that a 4011 had packed it in. I could make it malfunction by
            hovering my hand over the chip or just touching the plastic case.

            Good luck,
            Andrew

            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, john seco <secosemillon@...> wrote:

            > At least some things light up, but it has a way to go before it
            > functions properly.
            >
            > And the keys definitely aren't that color.

          • Al Winfrey
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
              John,

              You may have already tried this but one thing that happens with socketed ICs over long
              storage is that a crystaline coating often forms between the pins and the socket contacts.
              CMOS IC's sometimes behave strangely but they are even stranger when the circuit
              contacts aren't clean. This oxide acts as an insulator and you can break it loose by gently
              rocking each IC in it's socket.

              I place the board ( a Super Elf in this case) on a flat static-safe surface and then use a
              blade to pry gently under the front and back of each IC to raise it a little but don't lift it
              out of the socket. Then re-seat the IC with an even pressure on each end. This action will
              scrape loose the oxide and usually the thing starts working...if it was stored originally in
              working condition! This is not a cure-all but the conditions also affects TTL IC's.

              :o)

              al