Re: Chess

  • Andrew Wasson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2008
      That's something I've been thinking about as well.

      There used to be a program that was around in the early 80's that would
      have the Elf play a fairly static game of chess. As I recall the moves
      were pretty much set in stone and it fit in the original 256 bytes or
      RAM. I programmed my Netronics ELF II with it but after a few runs it
      lost its novelty.

      There was a fellow by the name of Peter Jennings who wrote Microchess
      for various CPU's. His game for the 6502 fits in just over 1k. I thought
      that it would make a good starting point to learn his program and then
      port it to the 1802. Here's a link to some info:

      http://users.telenet.be/kim1-6502/microchess/microchess.html
      <http://users.telenet.be/kim1-6502/microchess/microchess.html>

      Cheers,
      Andrew

      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, nils_eilers <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > I've been looking for a chess program running on a 1802.
      >
      > I found the Mephisto Chess Computer I, II and III using a 1802, later
      > a 1806. Some nice photos can be found here:
      > http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/index.php/Mephisto_II
      >
      > Unfortunately, I didn't find any source code. Maybe someone here own's
      > one?
      >
      > Mephisto III (as mentioned in the Mephisto III project) used a 1806
      > and was programmed with a language called CDL2 - has anybody ever
      > heard of it?

    • Leigh L. Klotz Jr
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 21, 2008
        http://www.benlo.com/microchess/microchess.html has a runnable version