ELF2000 and ELF/OS Editor/Assembler errors

  • saturn5tony
    Message 1 of 6 , May 20, 2008
      OK, I know the editor and assembler of the ELF2000 is a very basic
      version that should get you through most small projects, but these
      problems are just gremlins that should be fixed. These problems exist
      in both the ELF2K monitor edit/asm and the ELF/OS edit and asm.

      1.) When adding text to the editor of the ELF/os I found that after
      256 entries, the old text started swamping over the new text. It
      seems that a byte was used for the text editor numbers. I dont know
      if this happens in the ELF2k monitor editor but Im sure it may. 256
      entries goes very fast. Thats about a page of code.

      2.) I found that anything over ORG 8000h with the monotor and ELF/os
      assembler does not work. The assembler does in fact display that it
      is working right with a new address above 8000 and compiles, but all
      the data is completely wrong. Any code above 8000 may seem
      unimportant, but creating code to copy into EPROM for Monitor
      overlays could still be needed.

      3.) Comments like ";" after the argument column do not work at all in
      the editor of the ELF/os. They seem fine in the monitor, but using
      them in the editor of ELF/os just causes the ASM command to freeze.
      The computer stops at location FCF7 after a few minutes.

      Even though programs with the assembler are small, writing code with
      the disk/os is nice and fast. I found that after a while I really
      depended on this built in editor and assembler.

      This happens with version Ver 87 of the monitor and Ver 0.2.8 of the
      ELF/os. Bob and Mike, it would be nice if you could fix this, please.
      Even a replacement EEPROM for the monitor would be welcome.

      Tony
    • rileym65
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2008
        2 thinks, first off, the asm that comes with Elf/OS and the EDT/ASM in
        the elf2k eprom are both in memory assemblers. If you try to assemble
        something to 8000h, then you are in essence telling the assembler to
        put the bytes into rom space, which it cannot do. As far as the other
        problems you report, I will take a look at it.

        2nd, if you are wanting to use an assembler in Elf/OS, I would
        recommend you get ASM2/LINK2 instead. This is an on-disk assembler
        instead of in-memory, which means it can assemble anywhere without
        overwriting anything. This is also the assembler that I am currently
        developing and over time will gain some additional enhancements.
        Other than bug fixes, I no longer develop the ASM that is part of the
        Elf/OS package.

        Mike

        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "saturn5tony" <saturn5tony@...> wrote:

        > OK, I know the editor and assembler of the ELF2000 is a very basic
        > version that should get you through most small projects, but these
        > problems are just gremlins that should be fixed. These problems exist
        > in both the ELF2K monitor edit/asm and the ELF/OS edit and asm.
        >
        > 1.) When adding text to the editor of the ELF/os I found that after
        > 256 entries, the old text started swamping over the new text. It
        > seems that a byte was used for the text editor numbers. I dont know
        > if this happens in the ELF2k monitor editor but Im sure it may. 256
        > entries goes very fast. Thats about a page of code.
        >
        > 2.) I found that anything over ORG 8000h with the monotor and ELF/os
        > assembler does not work. The assembler does in fact display that it
        > is working right with a new address above 8000 and compiles, but all
        > the data is completely wrong. Any code above 8000 may seem
        > unimportant, but creating code to copy into EPROM for Monitor
        > overlays could still be needed.
        >
        > 3.) Comments like ";" after the argument column do not work at all in
        > the editor of the ELF/os. They seem fine in the monitor, but using
        > them in the editor of ELF/os just causes the ASM command to freeze.
        > The computer stops at location FCF7 after a few minutes.
        >
        > Even though programs with the assembler are small, writing code with
        > the disk/os is nice and fast. I found that after a while I really
        > depended on this built in editor and assembler.
        >
        > This happens with version Ver 87 of the monitor and Ver 0.2.8 of the
        > ELF/os. Bob and Mike, it would be nice if you could fix this, please.
        > Even a replacement EEPROM for the monitor would be welcome.
        >
        > Tony

      • rileym65
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11, 2008
          I have fixed the 256 line problem in the Elf/OS EDIT program. The
          fixed version can be found on the Elf/OS Software Downloads page
          (accessed from the main Elf/OS page). The corrected EDIT program is
          NOT in the 0.2.8 distribution package, you must get the one on the
          software downloads page.

          Mike

          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, rileym65 <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > 2 thinks, first off, the asm that comes with Elf/OS and the EDT/ASM in
          > the elf2k eprom are both in memory assemblers. If you try to assemble
          > something to 8000h, then you are in essence telling the assembler to
          > put the bytes into rom space, which it cannot do. As far as the other
          > problems you report, I will take a look at it.
          >
          > 2nd, if you are wanting to use an assembler in Elf/OS, I would
          > recommend you get ASM2/LINK2 instead. This is an on-disk assembler
          > instead of in-memory, which means it can assemble anywhere without
          > overwriting anything. This is also the assembler that I am currently
          > developing and over time will gain some additional enhancements.
          > Other than bug fixes, I no longer develop the ASM that is part of the
          > Elf/OS package.
          >
          > Mike
          >
          > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "saturn5tony" <saturn5tony@> wrote:
          > >
          > > OK, I know the editor and assembler of the ELF2000 is a very basic
          > > version that should get you through most small projects, but these
          > > problems are just gremlins that should be fixed. These problems exist
          > > in both the ELF2K monitor edit/asm and the ELF/OS edit and asm.
          > >
          > > 1.) When adding text to the editor of the ELF/os I found that after
          > > 256 entries, the old text started swamping over the new text. It
          > > seems that a byte was used for the text editor numbers. I dont know
          > > if this happens in the ELF2k monitor editor but Im sure it may. 256
          > > entries goes very fast. Thats about a page of code.
          > >
          > > 2.) I found that anything over ORG 8000h with the monotor and ELF/os
          > > assembler does not work. The assembler does in fact display that it
          > > is working right with a new address above 8000 and compiles, but all
          > > the data is completely wrong. Any code above 8000 may seem
          > > unimportant, but creating code to copy into EPROM for Monitor
          > > overlays could still be needed.
          > >
          > > 3.) Comments like ";" after the argument column do not work at all in
          > > the editor of the ELF/os. They seem fine in the monitor, but using
          > > them in the editor of ELF/os just causes the ASM command to freeze.
          > > The computer stops at location FCF7 after a few minutes.
          > >
          > > Even though programs with the assembler are small, writing code with
          > > the disk/os is nice and fast. I found that after a while I really
          > > depended on this built in editor and assembler.
          > >
          > > This happens with version Ver 87 of the monitor and Ver 0.2.8 of the
          > > ELF/os. Bob and Mike, it would be nice if you could fix this, please.
          > > Even a replacement EEPROM for the monitor would be welcome.
          > >
          > > Tony

        • rileym65
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 11, 2008
            Hey Bob,
            I have managed to misplace your email address. I have fixed the
            rom version of the EDT/ASM to fix the 256 line problem. I will send
            it to you if you contact me with your email address.

          • saturn5tony
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 12, 2008
              Hi Mike,
              Thanks for fixing the 256 byte limit, I cant wait to try it out
              again. I have a few hunderd line program to test out.
              I cant seem to find it at your site though. When I click on "Elf/OS
              Software Downloads" at the ELF/OS chip icon, I get a list of files
              from 2004 to 2005. There does not seem to be any new files??
              Is it EDIT labeled 9/14/2004?

              Tony

            • rileym65
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 12, 2008
                Sorry, I forgot to update the date. But yes, that EDIT is the updated
                one.