1802/Cosmac Elf related documents

  • djulio99
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2008
      Hey all,

      I'm primarily a lurker here on this group. I recently was cleaning out a storage area and
      came across my Elf collection. I thought I'd list the software and documentation I have
      here for posterity's sake. I'm not sure what the legalities of making copies are. I know
      that subject has been debated on here before. It does seem a shame if we couldn't
      archive copies of all this information somewhere. If anyone has a question about
      something on the list please shoot me an email.

      I also posted some pictures of the Netronics Elf II "clone" I built in high school. I basically
      just copied circuitry from various schematics I found. Today I am an engineer but then I
      knew nothing about digital design. I'm amazed that the machine worked but it did and I
      had hours of fun and learning with it. It didn't work when I powered it up but I hope to
      find some time to try to make it work again.

      Regards, Dan

      -
      Hardware
      --------
      Quest Single board Cosmac Elf
      Netronics Elf II
      Homebuilt 10-slot Elf II with custom CPU board
      2 4 K-byte Memory boards
      Giant Board
      A-D/D-A Board
      Full Basic Board
      EPROM programmer board
      Custom 64 Kbyte EPROM/32 Kbyte SRAM board
      Light Pen
      RCA VP3300 terminal
      Netronics SmartVid based terminal + Green 12" NTSC monitor

      Software (including printed dumps)
      --------
      elf_mon
      John Ware's m11 monitor
      Netronics elfbug
      Netronics pilot
      Netronics Full Basic
      Netronics Tiny Basic
      Netronics Cassette Text Editor
      Netronics Cassette Assembler and Loader
      Netronics Disassembler
      Netronics EPROM burner
      Acey Deucey
      Animal Race
      Tic Tac Toe
      Tank Warfare
      Light pen

      Documentation
      -------------
      John Ware's M11 Monitor
      Netronics 1802/1804 Full Basic Math/ROM Board Assembly Instructions
      Netronics Giant Board Assembly Instructions
      Netronics Light Pen
      Netronics Tiny Basic User Manual
      Netronics 1802/1804 Full Basic Level III Reference Manual
      Netronics 4K Memory Board Assembly Instructions (two different versions)
      Netronics Proto Type Board
      Netronics A-D/D-A Board Assembly Instructions
      Netronics Assembly/User Manual SmartVid/Video Board kit (fading terribly and water
      damaged)
      Netronics Revision A Smarterm/SmartVid Appendix/schematics/assy. Dwg
      Netronics Elf EPROM Programmer Assembly/User Manual
      Netronics Cassette Assembler
      Netronics 1802 Disassembler
      Netronics Introduction to Programming in Tiny Basic by Tom Pittman
      Netronics Cassette Text Editor
      Netronics Pilot Operators Manual
      Netronics "Elfbug" User Manual
      Netronics Game Pack #1
      Tom Pittman's "A Short Course in Programming" Volume I

      Popular Electronics November 1978 "A TIC-TAC-TOE GAME for your Elf Computer" by
      Edward M. McCormick
      Popular Electronics July 1977 "Build the PIXIE Graphic Display" by Josepth A. Weisbecker
      Popular Electronics February 1978 "How to Upgrade a Basic Elf Microcomputer" by Edward
      M. McCormick
      Popular Electronics November 1980 Part II "Now you can build microprocessor projects
      using an inexpensive product development system"
      Microcomputing July 1980 "Disassembler for the 1802" by John Beringer
      Microcomputing May 1980 "A COSMAC CDP1802, CDP1854 Monitor" by J.H. Thurm
      Microcomputing May 1980 "Elf Video from Netronics" by Donald R. Shroyer
      Unknown magazine article "1802 Pilot" by R.W. Petty
      Unknown magazine article "DOTS" by Tom Pittman
      Microcomputing November 1980 "The 1802 EPROM Board" by Dan Rubis
      Advertisement from Netronics for "The Electric Mouth Talking Board" for S100, Elf II, Apple
      II or TRS-80
      Don Shroyer's "form" newsletter listing all of his games for the Elf in assembly and Tiny
      Basic, Full Basic (with prices)

      RCA MB-601 "RCA COSMAC Microboard Computer CDP18S601" (includes schematic)
      RCA MB-660 "RCA COSMAC Microboard Combination Memory and I/O Module
      CDP18S660" (includes schematic)
      RCA MB-641" RCA COSMAC Microboard UART Interface CDP18S641" (includes schematic)
      RCA MB-622 "RCA COSMAC Microboard 8-Kilobyte Battery-Backup RAM CDP18S622"
      (includes schematic)
      RCA MB-621V1 "RCA COSMAC Microboard 16-Kilobyte RAM CDP18S621V1" (includes
      schematic)
      RCA MB-643 "RCA COSMAC Microboard A/D Converter CDP18S643" (includes schematic)
      RCA MB-642 "RCA COSMAC Microboard D/A Converter CDP18S642" (includes schematic)
      RCA MB-675 "RCA COSMAC Microboard 5-card Chassis"
      RCA MPM-201B "User Manual for the CDP1802 COSMAC Microprocessor"
      RCA MPM-207 "Floating-Point Arithmetic Subroutines for RCA COSMAC Microprocessors"
      (just a description, no code listing)
      RCA MPM-233 "Hardware Reference Manual for the RCA COSMAC DOS Development
      System (CDS III) CDP18S007"
      RCA MPG-180C "COSMAC Microprocessor Product Guide"
      RCA PD16C "COSMAC Development Systems CDP18S005, CDP18S007V1, and
      CDP18S007V3"
      RCA PD17B "COSMAC Floppy Disk System II"
      RCA PD18C "COSMAC Micromonitor"
      RCA PD19 "COSMAC UART Interface Module CDP18S508"
      RCA PD20 "COSMAC Byte I/O Module CDP18S510"
      RCA PD21 "microFORTH System for the COSMAC Microprocessor"
      RCA PD22A "PROM Programmer CDP18S480 for COSMAC Development and Microboard
      Computer Systems"
      RCA PD24 "COSMAC Evaluation Kit and EK/Assembler-Editor Design Kit"
      RCA PD31 "COSMAC Micromonitor Operation System (MOPS)"
      RCA PD37 "RCA COSMAC Disk Operating System Package CDP18S837"
      RCA CDP18S020 Evaluation Kit Utility Program UT4 instructions and listing
      RCA CDP1861CD Video Display Controller Preliminary Datasheet
      RCA ICAN-6525 AN "Guide to Better Handling and Operation of CMOS Integrated Circuits"
      RCA ICAN-6565 AN "Design of Clock Generators for Use with RCA COSMAC
      Microprocessor CDP1802"
      RCA ICAN-6562 AN "Register-Based Output Functions for RCA COSMAC Microprocessors"
      RCA ICAN-6581 AN "Power-On Reset/Run Circuits for the RCA CDP1802 COSMAC
      Microprocessor"
      RCA ICAN-6611 AN "Keyboard Scan Routine for USe with the RCA COSMAC Microterminal
      CDP18S021"
      RCA ICAN-6657 AN "Use of the CDP1856 and CDP1857 Buffer/Separater In CDP1802
      Microprocessor Systems"
      RCA VP3300 Terminal Specifications
    • Andrew Wasson
      Message 2 of 3 , May 15, 2008
        Hey Dan,
        Thanks for the heads up about your ELF documents and experience. It
        seems a little quiet on the board these days but maybe you'll stir up
        some interest and we can get some more conversations going.

        I see you got one of those 1st generation Quest Elf's.... I see them
        on EBay every now and again but I have to hold back as I have too many
        ELF variations already.

        Now on the other hand, your High School elf is a thing of beauty! I
        have had plans to do something similar to that for many years now.
        It's a bit reminiscent of a Heath H8 which I always wanted when I was
        in High School. Very Cool!

        Welcome aboard!

        Andrew

      • bill_rowe@rogers.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 17, 2013
          This is from a while ago but wow - here's a trove of cosmac related material! I don't know the poster's real name or location. I don't see any posts since 2008.