PC as terminal

  • cdp1861 <richard.dienstknecht@mni.fh-gie
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2003
      Hi,

      while reading the postings about kexboards I had an idea. Could we
      use a PC as terminal. The PC has to run a terminal emulation and the
      Elf's RS232 is connected to the PC's serial port. I'm just not
      certain that the two RS232s are really compatible. Can the PC live
      with the +-8V from the Elf? Do today's serial ports also use a
      voltage the Elf can recognize correctly?

      Richard
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2003
        cdp1861 wrote:
        > Could we use a PC as terminal.

        Yes, that works pretty well. I've used the RS-232 port on my PC with the
        old Procomm program to serve as a terminal for my 1802 systems many
        times.

        > Do today's serial ports also use a voltage the Elf can recognize
        > correctly?

        The good ones do. But like all things built cheap, some PCs cheat on the
        RS-232 standards to save money. I've had laptops that only deliver +/5v
        on their RS-232 lines, and that won't work with substandard RS-232 level
        signals from sending devices, either.
        --
        Lee A. Hart Ring the bells that still can ring
        814 8th Ave. N. Forget your perfect offering