Re: Quest Cosmac ELF board Schematic?

  • druske
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 25, 2008
      Paul Messinger has previously asserted that he's the legal copyright owner of Quest
      materials, and he's taken issue with this sort of thing before. As an example, see:

      I would definitely make reasonable efforts to contact Paul before posting any Quest material.
      I'd love to see this publicly available as well, but we need to respect copyright law if this
      group is to remain viable. The last email address I had for Paul is paulm@... .

      Dave

      --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Giles" <buzzgiles@...> wrote:

      > Would anyone have a problem if I were to post a schematic of a Quest
      > Cosmac ELF board?
      >

      > 73 Gary, KF9CM

    • Aurel Boisvert
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 25, 2008
        Hi Gary,

        Is this schematic for the early Quest Cosmac Elf,
        the one similar to the Cosmac Elf published in Popular Electronics in 1976.

        If it is would it be possible to email me a copy of it.
        Thanks

        Have a great day!/Bonne Journée!
        Aurel

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 26, 2008
          IANAL, but as far as copyright goes, it only covers the exact
          schematic as printed by the copyright holder. If you redraw or
          recreate the schematic with a CAD package and don't simply reproduce
          the original document then you are not infringing on anyone's
          copyright. In other words, the copyright holder does not own the
          circuit design, only the printed form of the drawing.

          Tony

          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Aurel Boisvert" <aurel@...> wrote:

          > Hi Gary,
          >
          > Is this schematic for the early Quest Cosmac Elf,
          > the one similar to the Cosmac Elf published in Popular Electronics
          in 1976.

          > If it is would it be possible to email me a copy of it.
          > Thanks
          >
          > Have a great day!/Bonne Journée!
          > Aurel

        • saturn5tony
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 26, 2008
            Look, if you built an ELF which is now 30+ YEARS!!! AGO then yes you
            are an OLD TIMER!!! in terms of technology you are ancient. If you
            just like the old stuff and are fairly young then NO you are not an
            old timer. Boy are people so touchy about thier age......
            Not me!

            (mailto:cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com) ,
            > "Gary Giles" <buzzgiles@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Would anyone have a problem if I were to post a schematic of a
            Quest
            > > Cosmac ELF board?
            > >

            > > 73 Gary, KF9CM
            > >

            > **************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video
            on AOL
            > Home.
            > (http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15?
            ncid=aolhom00030000000001)

          • didio4@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 26, 2008
              LOL!!!!

              Well, I may have built an original ELF, but I am certainly NOT an old timer.
              I have much too much life to live and will NEVER stop growing and learning.
              The day I do is the day I die.

              (mailto:_cosmacelf@yahoogroucosmac_ (mailto:cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com) ) ,
              > "Gary Giles" <buzzgiles@.bu> wrote:
              > >
              > > Would anyone have a problem if I were to post a schematic of a
              Quest
              > > Cosmac ELF board?
              > >

              > > 73 Gary, KF9CM
              > >

              > ************ ************<WBR>**Create a Home Theater Like the Pros
              on AOL
              > Home.
              > (_http://home.http://home.http://home.<WBRhttp://home.<Whttp://ho_
              (http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15?)
              ncid=aolhom00030000ncid=ao

              Home.

            • Bob Armstrong
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 26, 2008
                --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com <mailto:cosmacelf%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                "Aurel Boisvert" <aurel@...> wrote:

                > Hi Gary,
                >
                > Is this schematic for the early Quest Cosmac Elf,
                > the one similar to the Cosmac Elf published in Popular Electronics in
                1976.

                > If it is would it be possible to email me a copy of it.
                > Thanks

                If you want a schematic for any COSMAC Elf version, then the Elf 2000
                schematics are in the back of its manual,

                http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Downloads/Elf2k.pdf

                Also the schematics for the several Elf versions that Mike Riley has made
                are on his page,

                http://www.elf-emulation.com/hardware.html

                The Elf 2000 manual, et al, is copyrighted under the GNU FDL. I'm not sure
                about Mike's stuff.

                Bob Armstrong

              • coolcash3030
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 26, 2008
                  It all depends on your starting point and what you're referring
                  to...when the ELF was first on the cover of Pop Electronics I was the
                  ripe old age of 14 (I am sorry I did not save those 2 issues!!!!) ...
                  I am now the ripe young age of 45 and I have yet to build any ELF
                  having tinkered with everything in between since then. You can say I
                  am the 45-year-old ELF Virgin!!! LOL!

                  Nevertheless I am glad to see classic technology revived!

                  Chris

                  --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "saturn5tony" <saturn5tony@...> wrote:

                  > Look, if you built an ELF which is now 30+ YEARS!!! AGO then yes you
                  > are an OLD TIMER!!! in terms of technology you are ancient. If you
                  > just like the old stuff and are fairly young then NO you are not an
                  > old timer. Boy are people so touchy about thier age......
                  > Not me!
                  >
                  > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, didio4@ wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Who are you calling an "Old Timer"?????
                  > >
                  > > Not me!
                  > >

                  > > In a message dated 3/25/2008 9:37:37 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  > > saturn5tony@ writes:
                  > >

                  > > No, I'd love to see the schematic!! After all seeing the 1802 in a
                  > > different configuration might be interesting. Who is gonna copy
                  > and
                  > > sell the thing anyways. Its only interesting to us old timers that
                  > love
                  > > to see how we did stuff 30 years ago.
                  > >
                  > > --- In _cosmacelf@yahoogroucosmac_
                  > (mailto:cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com) ,
                  > > "Gary Giles" <buzzgiles@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Would anyone have a problem if I were to post a schematic of a
                  > Quest
                  > > > Cosmac ELF board?
                  > > >

                  > > > 73 Gary, KF9CM
                  > > >

                  > > **************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video
                  > on AOL
                  > > Home.
                  > > (http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15?
                  > ncid=aolhom00030000000001)

                • Stewart
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 27, 2008
                    --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "tony" <waterwingz2@...> wrote:

                    > IANAL, but as far as copyright goes, it only covers the exact
                    > schematic as printed by the copyright holder. If you redraw or
                    > recreate the schematic with a CAD package and don't simply reproduce
                    > the original document then you are not infringing on anyone's
                    > copyright. In other words, the copyright holder does not own the
                    > circuit design, only the printed form of the drawing.
                    >
                    > Tony

                    It might be a good thing to acquaint newcomers with exactly who Paul
                    Messinger is, why he holds the Quest copyrights, and more importantly
                    why his feelings should possibly count for something with us. Paul is
                    the engineer who was responsible for the bulk of the design work on
                    the Quest machines and salvaged at his own expense much of what was
                    materially left of the company after its demise, armloads of
                    manuscript docs, one-of-a-kind prototype machines, boxes of chips,
                    stacks of boards, etc. In addition, he is intimately familiar with
                    most other 1802 applications and the design intricacies of all of
                    Quest's competition. His career and expertise far exceeds simply the
                    Quest efforts. He was for instance engineer in overall charge of the
                    systems for the Hubbell. He may seem a bit of a curmudgeon it is
                    true, but in his defense he and his wife both have serious health
                    issues and he has some very bitter memories of the collapse of Quest,
                    a company he put his heart and soul into, and whose demise was none of
                    his fault. But he remains an absolute goldmine of anecdotes and
                    information of the pioneering days of the 1802 and is one of our last
                    real living icons of this era. He continues to love the 1802 and
                    believes in it to this day, and his passionate feelings about the
                    processor and his countless memories associated with his place at the
                    forefront of its use make him extremely and justifiably sensitive to
                    being approached in a light or cavalier manner about it, particularly
                    if he is in some pain or discomfort or worried about his wife. I have
                    myself always found Paul to be a wonderful man to deal with in person,
                    and I feel we are deeply priviledged to have his occasional visits on
                    our little List, one of the true leaders in the early use of the RCA
                    1802 for both personal computing and for its applications in space and
                    the highest scientific endeavors. There are many instances on this
                    List when he patiently sat at the keyboard and did his best to answer
                    the most pointed and precise questions about the Quest boards, despite
                    perhaps being in considerable discomfort and surely having more
                    pressing and serious things to attend to. Just my tuppence from
                    knowing something of the man and from meeting him a number of times in
                    person. I regret that many of you here have not had the immense
                    pleasure of a face to face meeting with him and in getting to know him
                    a bit better. He is an exceptional individual, absolutely unique, and
                    a brilliant intellect. -Stewart Marshall
                  • Al W,
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 28, 2008
                      Stewart,

                      What you have said about Paul is very compassionate and understanding but all I've ever
                      seen from him is what was displayed on his postings. Personally I'm all out of blank-
                      checks for rudeness from "curmudgeons" and anecdotes about the old Quest company
                      only go so far with me to excuse it. Respect is a two-way street.

                      My very first online contact with him was when I answered his request to translate some
                      Quest data from his old 8" CP/M floppy disks. Things seemed to go okay at first and we
                      agreed on doing a few at a time. Immediately after that the issue of copyrights came up. I
                      have real "day-job" and don't have enough time for it let alone running issues like this by
                      my lawyer so I politely backed away from the copy request. He was very sensitive about
                      "his babies" and the operation was getting too complicated.

                      Later he "scorched my ears" a few times when I suggested ways of correcting minor
                      problems with the Super Elf and watched as he admonished others for various comments. I
                      tried to not post inflammatory replies to him but he always found something to home-in
                      on. He was very intolerant for the thoughts of others.

                      I think that we have spent way-too-much time on this topic it has had a noticeable impact
                      on the once lively and very interesting technical discussions that we used to have about
                      1802's in general.

                      I have signed off-and-on-again with this group a few times in the past when discussions
                      weren't fun anymore and it looks like it's about time for another break for me. In some
                      ways I wish I had never "rescued" the two Quest Super Elfs from the junkboxes at
                      hamfests. Along with the fun with the junk came a boatload of crap.

                      :o)

                      al winfrey

                      We have also watched as he has dangled some of his old Quest production "booty" in front
                      of various members

                      > It might be a good thing to acquaint newcomers with exactly who Paul
                      > Messinger is, why he holds the Quest copyrights, and more importantly
                      > why his feelings should possibly count for something with us. Paul is
                      > the engineer who was responsible for the bulk of the design work on
                      > the Quest machines and salvaged at his own expense much of what was
                      > materially left of the company after its demise, armloads of
                      > manuscript docs, one-of-a-kind prototype machines, boxes of chips,
                      > stacks of boards, etc. In addition, he is intimately familiar with
                      > most other 1802 applications and the design intricacies of all of
                      > Quest's competition. His career and expertise far exceeds simply the
                      > Quest efforts. He was for instance engineer in overall charge of the
                      > systems for the Hubbell. He may seem a bit of a curmudgeon it is
                      > true, but in his defense he and his wife both have serious health
                      > issues and he has some very bitter memories of the collapse of Quest,
                      > a company he put his heart and soul into, and whose demise was none of
                      > his fault. But he remains an absolute goldmine of anecdotes and
                      > information of the pioneering days of the 1802 and is one of our last
                      > real living icons of this era. He continues to love the 1802 and
                      > believes in it to this day, and his passionate feelings about the
                      > processor and his countless memories associated with his place at the
                      > forefront of its use make him extremely and justifiably sensitive to
                      > being approached in a light or cavalier manner about it, particularly
                      > if he is in some pain or discomfort or worried about his wife. I have
                      > myself always found Paul to be a wonderful man to deal with in person,
                      > and I feel we are deeply priviledged to have his occasional visits on
                      > our little List, one of the true leaders in the early use of the RCA
                      > 1802 for both personal computing and for its applications in space and
                      > the highest scientific endeavors. There are many instances on this
                      > List when he patiently sat at the keyboard and did his best to answer
                      > the most pointed and precise questions about the Quest boards, despite
                      > perhaps being in considerable discomfort and surely having more
                      > pressing and serious things to attend to. Just my tuppence from
                      > knowing something of the man and from meeting him a number of times in
                      > person. I regret that many of you here have not had the immense
                      > pleasure of a face to face meeting with him and in getting to know him
                      > a bit better. He is an exceptional individual, absolutely unique, and
                      > a brilliant intellect. -Stewart Marshall

                    • Andrew Wasson
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 28, 2008
                        > It might be a good thing to acquaint newcomers with exactly who Paul
                        > Messinger is, why he holds the Quest copyrights, and more importantly...

                        Nicely said Stewart.

                        I haven't chatted with Paul (via email) for quite some time now but it
                        sure was great to ask questions of someone who was behind the scenes
                        and responsible for the computer kit I wanted when I was a kid.

                        It's a shame he hasn't been on board for a while... He posted some
                        pretty interesting articles about the end of days at Quest as well as
                        some really informative technical info about Quest expansion boards
                        and the super monitor.

                        And yes Al he is particular/sensitive about how Quest materials are
                        presented. It's a touchy subject... I didn't really follow the
                        conversations you and he had about copying the disks or Quest Elf
                        improvements so I can't really comment but I'm sure those Quest Elfs
                        you saved are just that more valuable for your rescue efforts.

                        If you don't want them, I'll take em and add them to the 4 I've got ;o)

                        Andrew
                      • Steve Gemeny
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 28, 2008
                          I' think I feel like piling on with Andrew on this…

                          Stewart, very nicely put and well worth saying.

                          It was several years ago when I talked to Paul on the phone. It was
                          a pleasure to kick around the old days of Quest and to compare
                          perspectives from our different vantage points – mine from outside
                          Quest as a drooling aspiring engineer, with his from inside as a
                          seasoned designer fighting management for the betterment of the
                          customers…

                          I was also aware (to some limited extent) of his health issues and
                          tend to make allowances for people as I hope they will of me. I
                          think I may even have had discussions with him about getting a few
                          parts for my Super ELF, but assumed that they would most likely not
                          end up becoming real for one or another reason.

                          I may even have crossed Paul at some point on the copying of parts
                          of a manual to help another member repair his system, but figured;
                          since we had both paid for an original manual and his had been lost,
                          he still had paid for the rights to one copy and my providing parts
                          of my copy for him was within reasonable use. Oh well, we live and
                          learn… I was wrong in Paul's mind and it wouldn't have hurt me to
                          have asked.

                          Still, I feel I'm better for having run into him, for having talked
                          to him and shared our ELF memories a bit. I hope he is well, wish
                          him well, respect him for what he has given me and so many others
                          through his designs, and would overlook any "curmudgeonly-ness"
                          because hey, we all have bad days…

                          Paul is a good guy, has a few hot buttons (I know I have my share)
                          and deserves more, perhaps, than he has gotten for his efforts.

                          All the best (73) to all,

                          Steve Gemeny
                          AA3NM
                        • Chris Wardell
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 28, 2008
                            Very well said Stewart. I had the pleasure of communcating with
                            Paul a couple of years ago via email when I purchased an AIM 65 from
                            him that he had from his days at Quest. He was concerned that I was
                            really interested in the AIM 65 and not just looking for something
                            that I could turn around on Ebay. I convinced him that I really
                            wanted the machine, I had always wanted one since back in the late
                            70's when I also built an ELF II. He sold me the AIM 65 for far
                            less than he could have sold it on Ebay and I really appreciate that.
                            If the time ever comes that I cannot provide the AIM 65 a proper
                            home, I will find someone that will appreciate it, I will not sell
                            it on Ebay.

                            Chris Wardell

                            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Stewart" <stew_m_3@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            and
                            > the highest scientific endeavors. There are many instances on this
                            > List when he patiently sat at the keyboard and did his best to
                            answer
                            > the most pointed and precise questions about the Quest boards,
                            despite
                            > perhaps being in considerable discomfort and surely having more
                            > pressing and serious things to attend to. Just my tuppence from
                            > knowing something of the man and from meeting him a number of
                            times in
                            > person. I regret that many of you here have not had the immense
                            > pleasure of a face to face meeting with him and in getting to know
                            him
                            > a bit better. He is an exceptional individual, absolutely unique,
                            and
                            > a brilliant intellect. -Stewart Marshall

                          • James Tadlock
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 29, 2008
                              I don't have the rest of the magazine, but I have the 6 Elf articles that were duly torn out and saved. A little weather beaten and my personal notes in the margins. My oh my how time flys.

                              coolcash3030 <coolcash3030@...> wrote: It all depends on your starting point and what you're referring
                              to...when the ELF was first on the cover of Pop Electronics I was the
                              ripe old age of 14 (I am sorry I did not save those 2 issues!!!!) ...
                              I am now the ripe young age of 45 and I have yet to build any ELF
                              having tinkered with everything in between since then. You can say I
                              am the 45-year-old ELF Virgin!!! LOL!

                              Nevertheless I am glad to see classic technology revived!

                              Chris

                              --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "saturn5tony" <saturn5tony@...> wrote:

                              > Look, if you built an ELF which is now 30+ YEARS!!! AGO then yes you
                              > are an OLD TIMER!!! in terms of technology you are ancient. If you
                              > just like the old stuff and are fairly young then NO you are not an
                              > old timer. Boy are people so touchy about thier age......
                              > Not me!
                              >
                              > --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, didio4@ wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Who are you calling an "Old Timer"?????
                              > >
                              > > Not me!
                              > >

                              > > In a message dated 3/25/2008 9:37:37 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                              > > saturn5tony@ writes:
                              > >

                              > > No, I'd love to see the schematic!! After all seeing the 1802 in a
                              > > different configuration might be interesting. Who is gonna copy
                              > and
                              > > sell the thing anyways. Its only interesting to us old timers that
                              > love
                              > > to see how we did stuff 30 years ago.
                              > >
                              > > --- In _cosmacelf@yahoogroucosmac_
                              > (mailto:cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com) ,
                              > > "Gary Giles" <buzzgiles@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Would anyone have a problem if I were to post a schematic of a
                              > Quest
                              > > > Cosmac ELF board?
                              > > >

                              > > > 73 Gary, KF9CM
                              > > >

                              > > **************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video
                              > on AOL
                              > > Home.
                              > > (http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15?
                              > ncid=aolhom00030000000001)

                            • rileym65
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 31, 2008
                                As far is my stuff is concerned, feel free to copy it all you want so
                                long as credit to what i have done is not removed, nor is any of my
                                work used for profit without my permission, For personal use, copy it
                                all you want.
                                Mike