ROMable FIG-FORTH?

  • nils_eilers
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 10, 2008
      Hello everybody,

      did someone made a romable version of 1802's FIG-FORTH before?
      It would save me some work...

      Are there any other known FORTHs for the 1802 beyond RC/FORTH?

      Regards,
      Nils
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 10, 2008
        nils_eilers wrote:
        > did someone made a romable version of 1802's FIG-FORTH before?
        > Are there any other known FORTHs for the 1802 beyond RC/FORTH?

        There were a bunch of them. The ones I recall were Forth Inc. sold
        PolyFORTH, which was able to "target compile" i.e. create derivitive
        versions. TMSI sold 8TH, which was a smaller FORTH that ran out of ROM.

        --
        Ring the bells that still can ring
        Forget the perfect offering
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 13, 2008
          > There were a bunch of them. The ones I recall were Forth Inc. sold
          > PolyFORTH, which was able to "target compile" i.e. create derivitive
          > versions. TMSI sold 8TH, which was a smaller FORTH that ran out of
          ROM.

          Are they free now? Do you know a link to download them?
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 15, 2008
            nils_eilers wrote:
            >> There were a bunch of them. The ones I recall were Forth Inc. sold
            >> PolyFORTH, which was able to "target compile" i.e. create derivitive
            >> versions. TMSI sold 8TH, which was a smaller FORTH that ran out of
            > ROM.
            >
            > Are they free now? Do you know a link to download them?

            Forth Inc. is certainly still in business, and sells their product. It's
            currently called PolyForth, and very expensive, but supports a huge
            number of CPUs. I don't know what they would make of distributing their
            30-year-old version.

            I think I still have their master disks. They are in 8" floppies,
            formatted for the RCA development system. I wouldn't mind loaning
            someone the disks, but does anyone have a working RCA development system
            that could read them?

            I wrote 8TH, and would be glad to give away the source. It's sort of a
            tiny Forth, intended to run out of a single 4K ROM, and with as little
            as 256 bytes of memory. You wrote the software on the Hughes HMDS
            development system, and "target compiled" it for the intended embedded
            application.

            But here again, I no longer have the HMDS development system, and can't
            read the disks.
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 15, 2008
              Too bad... but thank you for your quick answer.

              I'll continue my work on making the fig-forth romable. There's still a
              bug somewhere...
            • Robert L. Doerr
              Message 6 of 12 , May 19 8:29 AM
                Hello,

                I was going through all my old parts and came across a tube
                of CDP1832E chips. I read an older post on this group that
                mentioned these are 512x8 ROM chips. Is there anyone here
                that may be able to use them?

                I also came across quite a few Intel D2004-2 chips but can't
                seem to find any data on those. Anyone know what those may
                be and what they may go for?

                Best Regards,

                Robert
              • didio4@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , May 19 8:47 AM
                  Robert,

                  I am definitely interested in the CDP chips.

                  Gary
                  Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 19 9:07 AM
                    didio4@... wrote:
                    > I am definitely interested in the CDP chips.

                    Hello Gary,

                    I have a full tube of the chips but will need to check
                    them out when I get home to count and see exactly how
                    many chips are there. I would rather work something
                    out with someone on the list that is fair than trying
                    to post these on ebay. Nothing that I have uses these
                    numbers. I also have some CDP1802ACE chips as well.

                    I'll figure out how many I have and let you know.

                    Best Regards,

                    Robert
                  • didio4@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 19 9:12 AM
                      Thanks, Robert. I am interested in all the CDP chips. I have been collecting all the pieces and will begin building, hopefully soon. I travel too much, which makes it challenging!

                      Gary
                      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                      > I am definitely interested in the CDP chips.

                      Hello Gary,

                      I have a full tube of the chips but will need to check
                      them out when I get home to count and see exactly how
                      many chips are there. I would rather work something
                      out with someone on the list that is fair than trying
                      to post these on ebay. Nothing that I have uses these
                      numbers. I also have some CDP1802ACE chips as well.

                      I'll figure out how many I have and let you know.

                      Best Regards,

                      Robert
                    • arthurok
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 20 1:02 AM
                        old chips have value mostly to people like me that repair older equipment
                        especially ham radio , test equipment., astronomy stuff/ telescope and etc.
                        allot of good equipment is sitting on shelves or junked because
                        critical parts are no longer available
                        and substitution is difficult or virtually impossible.

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 20 3:01 PM
                          Robert L. Doerr wrote:
                          > Hello,
                          >
                          > I was going through all my old parts and came across a tube
                          > of CDP1832E chips. I read an older post on this group that
                          > mentioned these are 512x8 ROM chips. Is there anyone here
                          > that may be able to use them?
                          >
                          > I also came across quite a few Intel D2004-2 chips but can't
                          > seem to find any data on those. Anyone know what those may
                          > be and what they may go for?

                          That's an odd one. Could it be a 2104? That was an early Intel dynamic
                          RAM chip.

                          --
                          Ring the bells that still can ring
                          Forget the perfect offering
                          There is a crack in everything
                        • Barry Sanders
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 20 10:09 PM
                            Hello,

                            I found this for the Intel D2004 parts on American Microsemiconductor:

                            Non-Volatile (NVRAMs) Static RAM, 512x8, 28 pin DIP, 250 ns access & write time.

                            They're selling them for $54 (USD I assume) dollars a piece.

                            Barry Sanders