Arduino for xmas

  • Bill Rowe
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2007
      I came across a link to the Arduino project an "open-source electronics prototyping platform" and I'm quite intrigued. http://www.arduino.cc/

      At its simplest it's based on a standardized board with a microcontroller, a couple of leds, a bunch of i/o pins, and a USB interface. Accompanying it is an IDE environment for pcs, macs, and linux that lets you program it in C. Inexpensive even in single quantities at under $40 for a complete system. One of the key points of the design is ease of real world interfaces so there are a bunch of, again inexpensive, sensors & actuators (accellerometers, vibrators etc.) and interfaces (bluetooth, wifi) available.

      It intrigued me enough that my daughter is getting one for xmas.

    • Andrew Wasson
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 10, 2007
        Hi Bill,
        Here's some more info on DIY & Hackable Ardiuino's:
        http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2007/12/arduino_gift_guide_give_t.html

        Cheers,
        Andrew