Re: Color FORTH for the 1802

  • Allison Parent
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 22, 2007

      > Speaking of languages...
      >
      > The first high level language I used on the 1802 was Forth Inc.
      FORTH language. In those days, FORTH was often the first high level
      language that became available for any new CPU. FORTH is unusually
      compact and powerful in small CPUs.

      My first contact with Forth was by way of Postscript. It is in
      every way Forth with graphic primitives added. Still have to
      books for it as all of the basic Forth operators are there.

      > Recently, I discovered that Charlie Moore, the creator of FORTH, is
      still active and inventing new things. His latest version is called
      Color FORTH. While it is written for the Intel x86 CPUs (PCs of
      course), there are a lot of fascinating ideas embedded in it. Things
      like single keystroke keywords, using color to illustrate whether a
      word is program or data, whether it should be executed immediately or
      compiled, etc. Color FORTH does unbelievably fast compilation, and can
      be reverse-compiled to recreate source -- in fact, the system is
      stored in source form, and gets compiled each time you boot it up. The
      entire source fits on a single 1.44 meg floppy disk!

      Interesting.

      Allison

      > The stuff written about Color FORTH is tough going, but it might be
      fun to make a version for 1802 computers, where speed and memory
      problems are so large.