SEDIT in STG ELF2k Documentation

  • ca1naj610
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 12, 2007
      I bought Bob Armstrong's ELF2k along with the disk/uart board and my
      questions relate to the SEDIT commands. Some of the commands are
      intimated but not defined in the ELF2k user manual.

      I have five questions about SEDIT commands. My ELF2k works great and I
      love it but would like to store code on my CF disk expansion card. I
      realize that the normal way to do this is by using the ELF/OS but have
      not found the time to install it.

      1. Is there an SEDIT way to transfer bytes from the buffer to ELF RAM?
      2. How do I load RAM of the ELF from the CF disk without using the
      Disk O/S? I haven't found the time to successfully load the O/S so I'd
      like to store small bits of code on my 128 MB CF card.
      3. Where is the SEDIT buffer physically? On the CF card?
      4. What is an/the AU?
      5. What are AU chains?

      Does Mike Riley's website document all SEDIT features and commands?

      Denny
    • rileym65
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 15, 2007
        Denny,

        > 1. Is there an SEDIT way to transfer bytes from the buffer to ELF RAM?

        No, there is no sedit command for transferring bytes of memory from
        one location to another.

        > 2. How do I load RAM of the ELF from the CF disk without using the
        > Disk O/S? I haven't found the time to successfully load the O/S so
        I'd like to store small bits of code on my 128 MB CF card.

        Using the read sector command Rsect (where sect is the sector number
        in hex) you can read a sector from the CF card. The W command will
        write the sector back, note that for the W command, you cannot specify
        the sector number, it writes back to the last read sector

        > 3. Where is the SEDIT buffer physically? On the CF card?

        The buffer is not in a fixed location and can vary depending on
        version of the program. The last ROM version that I had built had the
        sector buffer at 2A2h. This may not be accurate for the version of
        SEDIT found in your rom.

        as for the CF card, SEDIT can read/write to any sector on the card,
        with the above mentioned limitation that W will only write back to the
        last read sector.

        > 4. What is an/the AU?

        AU stands for Allocation Unit and is the minimum block size for an
        Elf/OS file. Prior to version 0.2.7 of Elf/OS all disks were fixed at
        8 sectors per AU. Starting with 0.2.7 different AU sizes were
        supported and a byte from sector 0 would have to be read in order to
        determine the size. Considering that you are not dealing with an
        Elf/OS disk you really do not have to worry about AUs.

        > 5. What are AU chains?

        AU chains are the groupings of AUs that constitute an Elf/OS file.
        When a file goes over the allocation size (default of 8k) an
        additional AU is added to the file, this becomes part of that file's
        AU chain. Again since you are not dealing with Elf/OS files, you need
        not worry about AU chains.

        > Does Mike Riley's website document all SEDIT features and commands?

        Unfortunately SEDIT is poorly documented. I originally wrote SEDIT as
        a way to fix directory problems in early versions of Elf/OS and as
        such it never developed beyond being a simple sector editor.

        If you want to use SEDIT as a way to save/load small programs on CF
        cards i would recomend making a few modifications to it (assuming you
        can modify the code and assemble it, and build the Elf2k eprom), first
        of which is set a fixed sector buffer address where you can know where
        it is. Modify the W command to allow for a sector address so that you
        do not have to read the sector you want to write first. and possibly
        add a memory move function.

        Do not bother with the commands dealing with AUs. without a proper
        Elf/OS LAT table on the disk, then these commands are not going to
        work properly and could result in a crashed system.

        If you want to modify the SEDIT code, i am more than willing to answer
        any questions that you may have on it.

        I suppose if there was enough demand for a modified SEDIT, I probably
        could be talked into making the changes.

        Mike
      • ca1naj610
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 17, 2007
          --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, rileym65 <no_reply@...> wrote:
          Mike:

          Thanks for your quick and thorough response to my questions. I'll
          install the ELF/OS and look for the buffer in RAM starting at 02A2H.

          You have been a great help!

          Denny