1802 / COMX Windows Emulator

  • Marcel van Tongeren
    Message 1 of 6 , May 28 1:09 AM
      Hello All,

      I have done some work on a windows 1802 and COMX emulator based on
      Mike's emulator (thanks Mike, couldn't have done it without you!). My
      version is using wxwidgets so in a way should be platform
      independent. Current version only has a wxwidgets version for the
      COMX and Cidelsa, I intend to convert the other machines as well.

      I think my version works better on windows especially the screen
      handling (sorry Mike). I have also included a launcher which will
      make it easier to start the different machines.

      If you are interested to have a look at the beta version (v0.1) have
      a look on the Comx club pages maintained by Dennis Heijmans:
      http://www.comxclub.hobby-site.com; you'll find the download under
      emulator.

      We only have an executable for windows and I know the current version
      gives an error message when closed on both windows 2000 and vista. If
      anyone is interested to help out with compiling unix/linux versions
      let me know. Again to do this you will need to be willing/able to use
      wxwidgets.

      I'm currently working on load/save functions for the comx so we can
      include some software in the package. We do have some games and other
      stuff in wav format, 'just' have to get it loadable in the emu!

      To get the emulator to work, you will also need to install the
      vccrt.msi which is included in the download package, unless you have
      MS VC++ Express edition installed on your PC.

      Dennis included the COMX rom file as well, I'm not sure if there are
      still copyrights owned by someone on this. If anyone knows please
      tell Dennis or me.

      If you have any comments or find any bugs let me know. You should
      find my email address in the about field of the launcher.

      Help and instructions are still missing basically install the vccrt
      and 1802 setup and put the rom files preferably in the installation
      directory.

      Cheers, Marcel.
    • Marcel van Tongeren
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
        Hello Again,

        For anyone interested: I released a new beta version (0.2) of my 1802
        emulator (currently only windows); you can find the latest version on
        the Dutch COMX club site: http://www.comxclub.hobby-site.com

        I'm looking for a tester to test the Elf emulation, if anyone can do
        some testing on this it would be much appreciated! just let me know
        if you find any errors.

        For the COMX:
        It is now possible to load wav files into the COMX, I also added
        a 'memory LOAD/SAVE' (files are in .comx format) function to be able
        to have a faster load possibility then using wav/tape files. Included
        in the installer are also some games in the .comx format and you can
        find some more COMX games and SW on the COMX club site.

        There still are some faults in the 1870 emulation so some games are
        not running correctly as yet; these games are not made available
        until I find a solution.

        As far as I know none of these games have any copyrights; they were
        made available as 'freeware' during the 80s! Note that most of the SW
        is in Dutch.....

        Mike: If you are interested to use my code for your emulator, just
        let me know and I'll send you my source files. You will have to
        rewrite some stuff to fit it back into your code.

        Cheers, Marcel.
      • Marcel van Tongeren
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 2007
          Hello,

          The new version (0.8) of my Windows 1802 Emulator is available on:
          http://www.comxclub.hobby-site.com/COMX-Club.htm, under 'Emulator'.
          This version now supports the Elf stuff much better, thanks to
          Richard for all his help in the ElfOs BIOSIO stuff and off course
          thanks to Mike for letting me use his code as base.

          Like Mikes emu this version emulates: Elf, Elf II, Super Elf, COMX-
          35, Studio II and the Cidelsa.

          The COMX part is more extensive than Mikes, it includes possibility
          to load wav files and software via '.comx' format as well as
          improvements in the V1870 emulation. I have included the possibility
          to install all COMX SW on the PC that we currently have available.
          All of this is in Dutch but especially some of the games will be
          playable even if you don't undertsand the Dutch....

          Among the COMX games you will find 'Happiehap' which to my knowledge
          is the only COMX pac-man clone! Written by my brother and myself....
          long time ago....

          Also COMX classics like Eat a worm (Eet een wurm), Dragon (COMX
          Draak), GateMaster, Shoot and run (Schiet en Ren) etc. These were all
          made available for free in translated form when the COMX was
          introduced in Holland.

          If anyone has any SW in wav format or other available I would
          appreciate to get a copy if possible. Same goes for any rom dumps of
          additional HW. Like COMX RAM extension, Disk roms, 80 column roms etc.

          Also if you have any comments or fault reports please drop me a line!

          Cheers, Marcel.
        • Jaap Huijsman
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8, 2007
            Where can i download newest version (0.8)? Already i have ftp-ed, but
            it's still 0.2 ???

            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Marcel van Tongeren"
            <marcel.van.tongeren@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > The new version (0.8) of my Windows 1802 Emulator is available on:
            > http://www.comxclub.hobby-site.com/COMX-Club.htm , under 'Emulator'.
            > This version now supports the Elf stuff much better, thanks to
            > Richard for all his help in the ElfOs BIOSIO stuff and off course
            > thanks to Mike for letting me use his code as base.
            >
            > Like Mikes emu this version emulates: Elf, Elf II, Super Elf, COMX-
            > 35, Studio II and the Cidelsa.
            >
            > The COMX part is more extensive than Mikes, it includes possibility
            > to load wav files and software via '.comx' format as well as
            > improvements in the V1870 emulation. I have included the possibility
            > to install all COMX SW on the PC that we currently have available.
            > All of this is in Dutch but especially some of the games will be
            > playable even if you don't undertsand the Dutch....
            >
            > Among the COMX games you will find 'Happiehap' which to my knowledge
            > is the only COMX pac-man clone! Written by my brother and myself....
            > long time ago....
            >
            > Also COMX classics like Eat a worm (Eet een wurm), Dragon (COMX
            > Draak), GateMaster, Shoot and run (Schiet en Ren) etc. These were all
            > made available for free in translated form when the COMX was
            > introduced in Holland.
            >
            > If anyone has any SW in wav format or other available I would
            > appreciate to get a copy if possible. Same goes for any rom dumps of
            > additional HW. Like COMX RAM extension, Disk roms, 80 column roms etc.
            >
            > Also if you have any comments or fault reports please drop me a line!
            >
            > Cheers, Marcel.

          • Marcel van Tongeren
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 9, 2007
              --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Jaap Huijsman" <huijaa@...> wrote:

              > Where can i download newest version (0.8)? Already i have ftp-ed, but
              > it's still 0.2 ???

              Hoi Jaap,

              Sorry, Dennis still had the 0.2 on the ftp should be replaced now with
              the 0.8. However you don't have to use the ftp you can also download it
              from the emulator page on the COMX page: http://www.comxclub.hobby-
              site.com/ which should always have the latest available version.

              Let me know if it doesn't work.

              Groeten, Marcel.
            • Aurel Boisvert
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 9, 2007
                Here is the link
                I got it from the Emulator screen shot under Emulator

                http://www.comxclub.hobby-site.com/1802Emulator.zip

                Have a great day!/Bonne Journée!
                Aurel