Off Topic - Motorcycle Computer

  • Bill Rowe
    Message 1 of 2 , May 16, 2007
      I've recently added a small handlebar mount GPS unit to my motorcycle and
      It's made me think that a similar-sized programmable-by-me computer would be
      good fun to have. I figure it has to be something ready-made but I'm
      trolling for ideas.

      I need something like:
      -a waterproof module maybe a 1.5 in thick, 2.5 wide, 4 or 5 long with an LCD
      and a couple of buttons.
      -ability to take a couple of external signals (serial data from the GPS,
      tachometer and speedometer pulses from the bike)
      -a processor I can write code for, probably ideally in a simple language
      like Basic but in principle C or assembly would be ok. Best would be
      something I could program on the road.
      -non volatile memory.
      -Battery powered.

      Things that occurred to me were:
      A project based on the Basic Stamp or similar;
      finding a GPS unit that would allow me to write and invoke my own code
      without screwing up the GPS functions;
      finding a cycle computer that would allow me to write and run my own code;
      using a general purpose pocket PC like an HP ipaq.

      Any thoughts?
    • ted_rossin
      Message 2 of 2 , May 16, 2007
        The basic stamp seems to be a good way to go. You could also try
        using a Palm Pilot. If you want to do a little soldering and save
        lots of money consider using a PIC processor teamed up with a parallel
        LCD display. Check out some of my projects which use PIC processors
        here:

        http://www.geocities.com/ted_rossin/Electronics/Pic/Pic.html