Muller Labs 30th Anniversary COSMAC ELF

  • Steve Valin
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 12, 2007
      Is anyone familiar with this thing? One just sold on Ebay and I
      couldn't find any info on it. Here's the ebay link:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280090953864&rd=1&rd=1

      -steve
    • Andrew Wasson
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 12, 2007
        Hey Steve,
        I've only seen a couple of those. They came out about 6 months ago on
        EBay and seem to be a fairly true replica of the original PE Cosmac
        Elf. The main difference is the PC board.

        1/4K Ram, Switches, TIL311 Data display and a 9V battery.

        The seller also sells a kit of parts for making a 1st generation Elf.
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280079051390

        That's all I know about those.
        Andrew

        --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Valin" <sjvalin@...> wrote:

        > Is anyone familiar with this thing? One just sold on Ebay and I
        > couldn't find any info on it. Here's the ebay link:

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280090953864&rd=1&rd=1

        > -steve

      • supertrone_1999
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 13, 2007
          The Muller labs 30th board has the genuine HP displays not TIL311s I
          sold it on ebay because there is no way to expand the computer without
          desoldering components so all you can really do with it is blink the Q
          Led, it was fun to play with for awhile but as has been pointed out I
          have plenty of ELF components at my disposal so I have moved on. The
          fellow who produced these had some very good circuit recreations on
          his web-page but the site is now off line, would be helpful to the
          fellow who wants the wire-wrap listing, I'll try to find the files and
          post them to the group.

          Nathan Trone
        • Andrew Wasson
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 13, 2007
            Hey Nathan,
            Sorry to confuse you with the maker of the Muller Labs Elf. I should
            have known anyone with some Elf stuff would also have a large enough
            stock of parts to sell kits as well. I know I do (much to my wife's
            chagrin) :-]

            I wondered if there were expansion possibilities with the Muller Labs
            Elf. That's too bad. It looks like it was well put together though.

            Andrew

            --- In cosmacelf@yahoogroups.com, "supertrone_1999" <supertrone@...>
            wrote:

            > The Muller labs 30th board has the genuine HP displays not TIL311s I
            > sold it on ebay because there is no way to expand the computer without
            > desoldering components so all you can really do with it is blink the Q
            > Led, it was fun to play with for awhile but as has been pointed out I
            > have plenty of ELF components at my disposal so I have moved on. The
            > fellow who produced these had some very good circuit recreations on
            > his web-page but the site is now off line, would be helpful to the
            > fellow who wants the wire-wrap listing, I'll try to find the files and
            > post them to the group.
            >
            > Nathan Trone

          • supertrone_1999
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 19, 2007
              I've found the link to Muller labs:
              http://www.mullerlab.com/about.html
              looks long deserted
              I've also uploaded the schematics that came on disk with the machine.
            • Andrew Wasson
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 19, 2007
                Indeed that looks like the site!

                If I read that correctly it went up Feb 28th 2006 which is a little
                while ago but.... I've got a few project domains myself that haven't
                done anything in several years so who am I to criticize. At least this
                individual has the beginnings of a site even it if is a little stale.

                The only problem I have is that the pricing seems a bit steep on the
                finished project. If you were to compare the cost of building one wire
                wrap or going for an advanced one. You can certainly get your hands on
                the parts for a wire wrap PE ELF for a fraction of that. Bob's ELF2K
                kit (highly recommended) goes for $250. I even noticed the guy who
                built "Magic I" (TTL 16 Bit Computer) has an ELF2K :-]